IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Cheney's Office Refuses to Comply with Executive Order
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/21/AR2007062102309.html?hpid=topnews|Washington Post]:

Friday, June 22, 2007; Page A01

Vice President Cheney's office has refused to comply with an executive order governing the handling of classified information for the past four years and recently tried to abolish the office that sought to enforce those rules, according to documents released by a congressional committee yesterday.

Since 2003, the vice president's staff has not cooperated with an office at the National Archives and Records Administration charged with making sure the executive branch protects classified information. Cheney aides have not filed reports on their possession of classified data and at one point blocked an inspection of their office. After the Archives office pressed the matter, the documents say, Cheney's staff this year proposed eliminating it.

[...]

"He's saying he's above the law," said Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which released a series of correspondence yesterday outlining the situation. "It just seems to me this is arrogant and shows bad judgment."

Cheney's office declined to discuss what it called internal matters. "We are confident that we are conducting the office properly under the law," said spokeswoman Megan McGinn.

The Justice Department confirmed yesterday that it is looking into the issue. "This matter is currently under review in the department," said spokesman Erik Ablin, who declined to elaborate.

[...]

The standoff disclosed yesterday stems from an executive order establishing a uniform, government-wide system for safeguarding classified information. The order was first signed by President Bill Clinton in 1995 and was updated and reissued by President Bush in 2003. Under the order, an "entity within the executive branch that comes into the possession of classified information" must report annually how much it is keeping secret.

Cheney's office filed annual reports in 2001 and 2002 describing its classification activities but stopped filing in 2003, according to internal administration letters released yesterday. Cheney's office made the case that it is not covered because the vice president under the Constitution also serves as president of the Senate and therefore has both legislative and executive duties.

[...]

... but [link|http://www.bartleby.com/59/6/allanimalsar.html|some are more equal than others].

Cheers,
Scott.
New Left him a loophole
and he drove the truck through it.

Not surprising.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New If he's not executive branch he needs to move out of the WH
-----------------------------------------
Atheism is a religion in the same sense that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
New he doesnt work or live in the WH
whatju talkin about willis? Executive Office Building is his hangout.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New EOP.
[link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Office_of_the_President_of_the_United_States|Executive Office of the President]:

The Executive Office of the President (EOP or sometimes EXOP) consists of the immediate staff of the President of the United States, as well as multiple levels of support staff reporting to the President. The EOP was established by the United States Congress in 1939 after the Brownlow Committee recommended that such a support staff for the President be created.

Since its inception under Franklin Roosevelt, the size and influence of the EOP has increased. The current figures for the EOP are about 1,800 full-time equivalent employees. These employees work in the East Wing and the West Wing of the White House and in the Executive Office Building, an extension of the White House.

"The White House" is shorthand for the compound that houses the EOP.

Cheers,
Scott.
New EOP is his ceremonial office
Looks like his main office is in the west wing, I wouldn't want to be that far out the loop either.

He lives at the Old Naval Observatory.

[link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/ovp.html|http://www.whitehous...resident/ovp.html]
Seamus
New Left himself a loophole
I would bet that Cheney engineered, if not authored, the new executive order.
Seamus
New "The Cheney Shogunate"
Wish I'd [link|http://harpers.org/archive/2007/06/hbc-90000358|thought of this one.] It fits. Oh, how it fits:
During the history of Japan, for various periods the power of the emperor was checked as military dictators called \ufffdshoguns\ufffd ruled the country. The term \ufffdshogun\ufffd in fact meant \ufffdsupreme general of the samurai.\ufffd The legal rationalization for the shogunate was that the land faced a grave external threat requiring the transfer of power and authority to a military ruler who was given absolute power over life and death of the Japanese people.

Will historians refer to America, in the period starting on January 20, 2001, as the Cheney Shogunate? As is becoming increasingly apparent, the country has an intellectually and morally enfeebled president who serves as a sort of display piece, while actual executive power—indeed, far greater power than any president has ever wielded—is exercised by Dick Cheney.
The rest is, of course, worth your perusal—Scott Horton always is.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Why.. Why ... that's just .... Beautiful !
ZZZinnnggg!! Such a perspicacious characterization, across all scales!

Immediately called to mind a story (by way of the Sufis - who do Stories better than any identifiable group.)

Jesus is walking along a road enroute to {lost in translation} with a small group.
They pass a dead dog, in a state of advanced decomposition.. Most avert eyes and hurry past.

Jesus stops, examines the carcass.. Naturally the cohorts return to see why He stopped. They are all looking at Him looking at 'that'. Finally ...

Jesus says, "did you ever see such beautiful teeth ?!?"

This one alone justifies a Harpers subscription.. how can you put a price tag on brilliance? On to --> the Washington Post and.. Proceedings commencement.
(Jesus and I both, are always interested in examining those things - miniscule or T-Rex sized - which mean to chew at our guts, from inside or outside.)

First the teeth..
Then the impeachment.

Except that, there's not 1/100th of a Sufi mind within IRBM-range of the Congress.
New Honto! Nice find!
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
     Cheney's Office Refuses to Comply with Executive Order - (Another Scott) - (9)
         Left him a loophole - (bepatient) - (5)
             If he's not executive branch he needs to move out of the WH -NT - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 he doesnt work or live in the WH - (boxley) - (2)
                     EOP. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         EOP is his ceremonial office - (Seamus)
             Left himself a loophole - (Seamus)
         "The Cheney Shogunate" - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Why.. Why ... that's just .... Beautiful ! - (Ashton)
             Honto! Nice find! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

C:>_
97 ms