IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nice conundrum clearly stated. Unions?
That may be the simplest 'bottom' line re the question for IT or any other group:

A Y2k-version of 'Union' (or by some catchy new name) or no ???

Who Else but an org. of peers, is apt to attain the power to question, lobby such matters as the wholesale importation of serfs? Or question the unlimited-hours work-week with beeper? Or the sometimes not even 2-weeks! 'vacation' - often expected to be taken.. a couple days at a time, at employer's convenience. Many more examples available.

Given such a smart bunch and the necessary nodding acquaintance with 'logic' - I remain mystified at the general attitude seen in now many threads re 'union' or other. And the thought.. "I'm so smart I don't need no stinkin help from Anyone" - doesn't even merit lampooning. Anyone who isn't yet aware of the net decline in workers' share of the pie, over last 20ish years - has been asleep. No other civilized country provides as little vacation, demands as many unpaid hours - as in the US. (Of course that leads into the most expen$ive med. care in history of world too - YAN thread re the Q. "why must med. care + employment be conjoined"? Insurance Cos. and the lottery..)

I suspect (merely) that a large factor in clouding mens' minds re the idea of 'representation' - is related to the massive scam and FUD exemplified by the WTO. Every action since passage of related treaties has been to further cement the rule of Int'l Corps, and their evident aim to drive down all worker reimbursement everywhere and especially within the US - regardless of any local governments and their social legislation. That last is the scary part - it's working so Well.

This goes to the heart of the conundrum you put so succinctly, if you are easily replaced then your labour is not worth much. Where is the new mechanism which demands that companies close the gap between what you make from them and they make from you. ??? Economists / MBAs appear thus far - unable to think in any new ways, as they pray for 'market corrections' and other holy relics of a more naive era.

Our Maquiladores - just across the border - ought to be evidence enough of the trend and the ease with which environmental and human rights considerations are easily laterally arabesqued, often via overt bribery.

So.. do you guys still think in 2002, you can escape the epithet, if we don't all hang together, assuredly we shall all hang. Separately. ?

Just Wondering (still)

Ashton
New Union! Right f*cking now!
But something a bit different from a Union, more like a group of workers fed up with management without all those corruption factors that a Union has.

I say we form a picket line, and get a list of Megacorps that abuse their employees and make working conditions unfair or hazardous to our health. They we send people who are uninstalled to march out in front of those Megacorps with picket signs. Signs that say "X Corp is trying to work its IT workers to death!" or "Downsize managers too!", etc. get some web sites created, get a few stories full of facts to send to the media and hope that they print it, and are not completely taken over by the Billionares Boys Club. Get the truth out there the same way that [link|http://www.infect-truth.com|Infect Truth] does about cigarette smoking. You know a Consumer Group or something that gets people to boycott the products and or services of the Megacorps that abuse its workers.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
     Supply side economics does not work. We are being lied to! - (nking) - (10)
         Ermm, Norm? The words came out of politician's mouths. - (Silverlock)
         I don't see it that way - (tablizer) - (8)
             Erm - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 As I have experienced - (nking)
                 Nice conundrum clearly stated. Unions? - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Union! Right f*cking now! - (nking)
                 Alternatives? - (tablizer) - (3)
                     Saving up for rough times? - (nking) - (2)
                         think thru the entire thing - (tablizer) - (1)
                             No hardship at all, actually.. - (Ashton)

Here we have a game that combines the charm of a Pentagon briefing with the excitement of double-entry bookkeeping. I don't get it.
87 ms