IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New grapes of folly
quoth boxter: "having the gummint tax grapes from chili (sic) at $8 per lb because they are flown in means I dont eat grapes in january and some poor chilean farmer will be homeless because he cant sell his crops."

Now then, box, you shouldn't pull these notions out of your ass like that. Grapes do indeed have a calendar-specific rate (the first one of these I've seen, and I spent a decade in close company with the tariff back when I was assigned to the brain-dead employer's international division), being dutiable (not taxable, although I grant that to them as pays it this is a distinction largely without a difference) at $1.13 per cubic meter between February 15 and March 31, free of duty between April 1 and June 30, and at $1.80 per cubic meter during the rest of the year. You do the math: that ain't anything remotely like $8/lb (and I checked to see if there were any special Chile-specific punitive duties—there aren't). Actually, though, because Chile and the US have signed a free trade agreement, grapes from that long, skinny country can be imported duty free all year long provided only that they are accompanied by an official Chilean certificate of origin. If your local produce stand has been telling you different, he is cruelly taking advantage of your demonstrated credulity, and should be reproached for this.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New I was refering to the EU's and UK stance on SA flowers
flown in by jet as well as other produce. They want to put a carbon tax of about that much per pound. South Africa is aghast that a market may be closed to them and are clamoring against it. I then moved to make a simile to a similar tax in our continent as a reference point.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
     MIT steps into the climate debate - (boxley) - (58)
         some nice rants in the comments section - (boxley)
         also some thoughtful questions from a lay person - (boxley) - (12)
             rand, what do you think of this person's questions? - (boxley) - (11)
                 frankly, he sounds like a twit - (rcareaga) - (10)
                     Thats funny. - (bepatient) - (3)
                         "instead of just knee-jerking into a thread... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             I'm quite over myself. - (bepatient)
                         On methane: See #26566. - (Another Scott)
                     thanks for the detailed reply - (boxley) - (5)
                         I don't think your numbers are quite right. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             nice try, an assertion that man is 150* volcano - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Here ya go. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     you did read it right? - (boxley) - (1)
                                         HCl is not CO2. - (Another Scott)
         Your MIT "authority" is a farking shill - (rcareaga) - (43)
             farking shill with GOOD credentials, better than gores -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                 Did you perhaps miss the meaning of "shill"? -NT - (Silverlock) - (10)
                     Of course he is. - (bepatient) - (1)
                         Follow the money. -NT - (Silverlock)
                     so the great gore, inventor of the internet is not a shill? - (boxley) - (7)
                         Followthe money -NT - (Silverlock) - (6)
                             Right into Gore's pocket? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Do you even believe the words you write? -NT - (Silverlock)
                             I do, it leads to trading credits, a new market woth billion - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Find a rail. Get back on it. -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                     You deny this? Back it up. - (bepatient)
                                     ya do rails you dont get on them, fact got yer tongue? -NT - (boxley)
             Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (30)
                 Re: Dunno. - (rcareaga) - (29)
                     Touch\ufffd. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (28)
                         And how much money is on the "good" side? - (bepatient) - (27)
                             Compared to? - (imric) - (26)
                                 Why research grants, of course. - (bepatient) - (25)
                                     I want to see proof. Show me the money. - (imric) - (24)
                                         "promote global warming"? - (pwhysall)
                                         Not nearly the point - (bepatient) - (8)
                                             Something on the numbers - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                 dont forget the gummit scammers - (boxley)
                                             I don't really care - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                                 work on it sure, but taxing the crap out of western civ, no -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                     Change requires motivation - pain works -NT - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                         change requires innovation not pain - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             grapes of folly - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                                 I was refering to the EU's and UK stance on SA flowers - (boxley)
                                         There's a documentary that aired last month, - (Steve Lowe) - (13)
                                             "swindle" is right - (rcareaga) - (12)
                                                 same as gore's movie -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                                                     a link - (bepatient)
                                                     Which scientist complains of Gore's twisting his views? -NT - (Silverlock) - (9)
                                                         Well, my Google-fu is merely average - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                             You notice I only asked for one. -NT - (Silverlock)
                                                             Gore did apparently get some things wrong. - (Another Scott)
                                                         two lazy to look, now explain different sized co2 molecules - (boxley) - (5)
                                                             Carbon has several isotopes. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                 so co2 from cars is much more dangerous than bbqing? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                     No. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                         "Burning wood isn't as bad as burning coal" - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Yes. Did I say something you disagree with? -NT - (Another Scott)

I'm picturing tablizer on a laptop dragging around a 486 whitebox running Linux attached to a really long extension cord.
70 ms