IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For me, yes
Get thee to a nunnery, Brenda! (or have a small conversation with your retinal gluons)

You don't Have to agree with me on this; but if you know what's good for you . . .

I've talked to my optometrist a lot about this, and darker background screens with pastel text colors tend to give me a headache. We didn't know if it was from eye-strain, or just the color, but it almost always happens. The only exception was the DOS mode, where large bright letters were on black, but that was all and I only edited in VI there, I didn't read.

He also thought it might be in part to the fact that I often sit online into the wee hours with most of the room dark and then the only bright area is the computer screen, so having the computer screen dark is hard at those times. And even in the daytime, I rarely have the blinds open (one, my bird is loose most of the time), so it's dim in here other than artificial lighting.

I like the shades of light grey and pastel cool colors like blues, greens, purples, etc., with black on that for the most part. Bright yellow backgrounds make me want to run screaming from the room, as do orange and reds.I've coped with some of the garish color schemes chosen by others in Yahoo groups, but I can only do it for a short time, so none othe ones I actually run are color schemed like that.

But I think it's a great idea to have the option available for others, and I agree that Peter is doing something really constructive for IWT. :)

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Jan. 3, 2007, 04:03:50 PM EST
New Re: For me, yes
He also thought it might be in part to the fact that I often sit online into the wee hours with most of the room dark and then the only bright area is the computer screen, so having the computer screen dark is hard at those times. And even in the daytime, I rarely have the blinds open (one, my bird is loose most of the time), so it's dim in here other than artificial lighting.

You've got your answer right there.

Light your workstation properly.

Once your eyes are fucked, they're fucked.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
[image|http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/pwhysall/Misc/saveus.png|0|Darwinia||]
New Forgot to add
I also have a lamp aimed at the keyboard and a floor lamp above my desk, but those are the only lights I leave on in here at night when I'm online for the most part, unless I'm working on something offline as well then both floor lamps are on.

But I just tend to have trouble with the darker backgrounds, so I steer away from them and go with a dark color or black on a pastel background, but not always white.

Edit: I forgot, I also used to be fine with those odd dark green backgrounds commonly used in cathode ray tubes. Those never bothered me.

And yeah, my eyes have had problems for years, I've worn glasses since gradeschool, and I don't do contacts.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Jan. 3, 2007, 04:26:49 PM EST
     OK, here's my first stab at it. (96K img) - (pwhysall) - (23)
         Kinda cool -NT - (drewk)
         Oh, what am I doing? - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Colour Contrast Analyser doesn't like some of it. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 I was struggling with the anchor colour. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Maybe just keep the achors white, with underlines. - (Another Scott)
                     I played around with Vischeck some. - (Another Scott)
                     Another dark theme to consider is Bloomberg's - (Another Scott)
             I like it. Much! -NT - (Meerkat)
         Question -- will this be an optional change? - (Nightowl) - (13)
             Don't worry... - (imric) - (1)
                 excellent answer! :D -NT - (Steve Lowe)
             Please read what's written. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 I did read it, Peter - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     Re: I did read it, Peter - (pwhysall)
             it looks like crap to me too -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 STFU if nothing constructive to say, cheers. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     You asked for opinions... - (jb4) - (1)
                         "it looks like crap" is "constructive"? - (pwhysall)
             'hard on eyes' ??? - (Ashton) - (3)
                 For me, yes - (Nightowl) - (2)
                     Re: For me, yes - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Forgot to add - (Nightowl)
         Here's how we could implement it. - (pwhysall)

But isn't everything better with Christopher Walken?
128 ms