IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's [Volkswagen AG] [GTI], not [Volkswagen] [AG GTI]
They seem to be ignoring that it's a Volkswagen Golf GTI altogether, basically actually calling it just a "Volkswagen GTI" (as if there weren't also, or had never been, or couldn't very well be tomorrow, a Polo GTI, a Passat GTI, a Scirocco GTI, etc) -- but they also call the brand by the full (lawyerly) company name. (So what you seem to have thought was the Yank-market version of the model name is actually ze Cherman version of "Inc", "Co", or "Ltd".)

Both are, IMnshO, prime cases of Damn Stupid Nomenclature, but at least the drop-the-actual-model-name thingy is nothing new from the Yank motoring meeja; they used to gabble about "Pontiac Trans Am" and "Pontiac Firebird" as if they were actually different models, pretending the Trans Am wasn't actually just the high-performance variant of the Firebird model of the Pontiac brand, to take just one old example I vividly recall.

Dunno if the other candidates were Ford Motor Company this-and-thats, Toyota Inc Boromobiles, Dr Ing. h. C. F. Porsche Gmbh & Co. KG Caymans, etc, in stead of just Ford this-and-thats, Toyota Boromobiles, Porsche Caymans, and so on, as normal people like you and me would say. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were, though.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New re Different models that aren't...
The practice of giving the same car different names is very common in Australia. Probably to make our small market look a bit bigger :)

e.g. You can buy a Holden Commodore, Berlina or Calais - and you get the same body shape, the names are just for different levels of trim. Same with the Ford Falcon, Futura, and Fairmont.

Other companies have done similar things in the past. Nissan used to sell the Pintara and the Skyline. Same body, just different engines. Toyota are doing it now with the Camry and the Aurion.

As for the GTI - I don't think either the Golf or the Polo GTI's sold here have anything but a 'GTI' badge on them.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
     Automobile Magazine: VW GTI 2007 is "Car of the year". - (a6l6e6x) - (17)
         VW is very reliable. - (pwhysall) - (16)
             A friend of mine took the GTI for a test drive recently. - (Meerkat)
             That's [Volkswagen AG] [GTI], not [Volkswagen] [AG GTI] - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 re Different models that aren't... - (Meerkat)
             Re: VW is very reliable. - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
                 VW is really several manufacturers. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     Looking at it that way, which car company isn't? - (CRConrad) - (8)
                         McLaren. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             On the New Beetle. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                 Agreed. It's a boutique car. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Sharing is good. - (static)
                                 Disagree on the original - it met its design goal perfectly - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                     Mod parent up, +5 Insightful. <//.> -NT - (CRConrad)
                                     All true. - (pwhysall)
                                     Then too, it's (still) good enough for Bob Pease - (Ashton)
                     Re: VW is really several manufacturers. - (pwhysall)
             I know a number of people who will never buy VW again - (tonytib)