IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Comments
Economy falls into sharp recession.

My best bet for triggering a recession is the Fed being forced to raise interest rates. Adjustable rate mortages will jump and lots of people will lose their homes. That sends housing from a decline into a crash, and then ripples across the economy.

But I'm also betting the Feds are well aware of this and will not raise interest rates. In fact, I think the Feds would go to Congress and tell them to either raise taxes or cut spending before raising interest rates significantly.

5) New Orleans and the Gulf Coast continues a very slow, very drawn-out recovery. But it will be decades before the area will have pre-Katrina economic activity and population levels.

Rising sea levels may preempt the recovery and force the permanent evacuation of New Orleans. But I don't think we will know either way for a decade or two.

6) A Major Earthquake strikes a the US mainland and causes billions of dollars of damage. Recovery is very slow, but a few lessons learned from Katrina speed up the process to some extent.

The only lesson learned will be a greater willingness by other groups to ignore FEMA and move in to provide support themselves.

3) One (Stevens) and potentially two (Ginsberg?) seats will open up on the US Supreme Court. A threatened confirmation battle will force Bush to consider and submit more moderate candidates than he has thus far.

Barring a medical problem, I don't think so. I think they are all committed to waiting out Bush before stepping down.

4) (On the "Good News" side of things:) State and Local elections will continue a gradual trend away from the "conservatives". Close elections will break for moderates and liberals. ID proponents will not have another significant victory on school boards nor in the courts - at least not for many years.

I think you are right that the overall trend will work against conservatives. But don't underestimate the ability of the religious right to lie their way into power. It is fairly common for them to run as unknown moderates and then morph into a radical rightwinger once they win, and then get thrown out the next election. I expect that to get them a few short term victories.

3) China's explosive growth will slow significantly due to a slowdown in world economic growth and due to internal problems with China's energy network, its banking system, and pressures for increased rural investment.

But it won't stop. China's leaders are well aware they need to develop an internal economy, they can't run the country on exports forever.

7) The record companies and movie studios will lose more of their power over the market place and the courts and Congress will take steps to restore "fair-use".

Too soon, I expect a couple of more years of increasing marginalization before they fall far enough out of power for them to lose in Congress.

Jay

Who wouldn't be posting this much, but I'm sitting around my apartment avoiding the cleaning I should be doing.
New :-) I'm making MP3s, so I share your desire to avoid work.
New I dunno, Jay...
But it won't stop. China's leaders are well aware they need to develop an internal economy, they can't run the country on exports forever.

I dunno...the current cabal seems bent on running their country on imports forever. And you know the ol' saying: Where there's a demand, there will be a supply.

(If only Bill bennett would have learned that simple truth...)
jb4
"When the final history is written in Iraq, [link|http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tmate/2006/tmate060926.gif|it'll look just like a comma.]"
George W. Bush, 24 Sep 06
New China isn't going to stop exports
China isn't going to stop exports. But they are also working to bring wealth and economic growth to the masses of China. Building up the road and rail network to reach the interior, building up the infrastructure, getting a better education system and so on.

I'm not so silly to think that generosity is one of their main motivations for doing so. But stability is, and the ruling party realizes that long term stability requires an economy that isn't dependent on trade and a better distribution of wealth and opportunity.

Jay
New Then all they have to figure out next
(as do we) is: In this century, What IS 'wealth' ??

New Wealth is easy
Wealth is a measure of one's ability to use money to get things. And at China's end of the scale, where a large percentage just want access to work so they can get enough wealth to get food, clothing and shelter, it really doesn't take much.

It is only once you get past the essentials and people begin wondering about things their wealth can't buy that there is a problem.

Jay
New Good. Answer.

Scott's Worse (but not Worst) Case Predictions - (Another Scott) - (10)
         Comments - (JayMehaffey) - (6)
             :-) I'm making MP3s, so I share your desire to avoid work. -NT - (Another Scott)
             I dunno, Jay... - (jb4) - (4)
                 China isn't going to stop exports - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                     Then all they have to figure out next - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Wealth is easy - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                             Good. Answer. -NT - (Ashton)
         Part of Electronics #2 is not a prediction. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Thanks. I haven't kept up with the details on Vista... -NT - (Another Scott)
             I should be paying more attention. - (static)

I'd interracially copulate with an alien at this point, and take it to breakfast even.
44 ms