IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Someone at work has/had one.
Congratulations! It seems like a very nice car.

I recall reading a story back then that said Honda justified going to an in-line 5 arranged perpendicular to the front "axle" as a way to damp out various harmonics that are difficult to remove with transverse engines. Seemed like an extreme solution to the problem, but it was another reflection that Honda isn't (or at least wasn't) afraid to do unconventional engineering. Kudos to them.

The one I've seen at work looks like a neat car, but it has a larger front overhang than most other FWD cars. (It looks a little different from the one pictured in your link - maybe it was a different year.) It's certainly a big change from the newest BMW 3-series, for example, that nearly has the front wheels at the corners. The Vigor's profile is unique and not unpleasing.

Best of luck with your new baby! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New In-line engine
(in both senses) Yes, that was a preference of mine, though not a determinant. In practical terms I think.. there's a bit more ease in getting to stuff, even though the space is filled.. it isn't as crammed as in the crosswise designs.

Then too, my fav past cars - Citr\ufffden, Saab were similarly oriented. My suspicion is that the concentrated 'polar moment' of the 4-across types may not produce the best handling. A bit spread fore and aft just.. sounds better. As to rear wheel placement ergo wheelbase shortening, again I'd prefer squeeezing the occasional rear-seat passengers a tad = not a problem for 2, only with 3, VS better handling. The rear overhang beyond axle would be acceptably small unless carrying Pb bricks in the trunk.

Anyway.. it passes my slalom test without exc. lean, and it's closest I'd ever get to a $29K machine (at '94 prices - more like 35 now) for merely hauling around a 180# carbon unit. The TL continued the 5 cyl. engine for 2? more years. Now it's all V-6 (meaning inaccessible spark plugs for 2 or 3 cylinders!).

Fun.. not many toys as complex as a 'car'. Lots to play DIY engineer with. Gotta get Service man. "MAN ABS"

Cheers,
A.
     Auto body: Anyone know about repair hints? CRC? - (Ashton) - (34)
         check frame and also check the upholstery - (boxley) - (1)
             Ha! Hadn't thought about the title - (Ric Locke)
         Get a flashlight, a powerful one - (Ric Locke) - (10)
             Gracias all, for the comprehensive lists. - (Ashton) - (9)
                 Before you pay for a frame alignment check - (hnick)
                 Even if it has been whacked and fixed.... - (folkert) - (7)
                     Thanks, a good reminder - (Ashton)
                     Quality repairs - (wharris2) - (5)
                         more on salvaged cars - (boxley) - (4)
                             Master craftsman maybe.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                 Similar to what they do with motorcyclists... - (Meerkat)
                                 Why did you assume it was his fault? :) - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Well, 80mph would be a contributing factor - (wharris2)
         A few comments on car buying 2002 - (Ashton) - (20)
             VW? Volvo? Audi? or (gasp!) TurboDiesel Jeep Cherokee?! -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                 Uhhh________nope. -NT - (Ashton)
             okay GIVE wankel motor? -NT - (boxley)
             I know I know I know! It's a Honda! - (Another Scott)
             If not that Honda, a Mercedes Diesel? - (CRConrad)
             So near.. and yet so far - (Ashton) - (14)
                 Never 'eard of 'im! - (Meerkat)
                 Someone at work has/had one. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     In-line engine - (Ashton)
                 Ah. Didn't know those have fives; they were never sold here. - (CRConrad) - (8)
                     Badge Engineering - (Meerkat) - (1)
                         Even the Munificent LRPD does it!___"Now, new ChiaLRPD[tm]!" -NT - (Ashton)
                     WTF - aren't strikethrough (<s>) tags supposed to work here? -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         Yes. - (static) - (2)
                             What CRC is doing OK according to O'Reilly HTML book. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Hmm. - (static)
                         Use the source, Luke. - (a6l6e6x)
                     The rebadging scam - (Ashton)
                 neat tidy muted pizazz, looks good! -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     And then.. - (Ashton)

GPLed, for your pleasure.
50 ms