that there are indeed car people who both know and perform. I used to know a master frame / alignment guy, and he mentioned some of the points you did - but I guess that I most often expect less. Now.

One thing in my favor - whatever were the machinations, the 'event' wasn't sufficient to total the beast, in opinion of whatever inspector.. hence the weirdness. Besides, the general paranoia about *any* body damage seems to work in favor of those of us willing to at least consider the matter more carefully.

TANSTAAFL but sometimes.. ya get hors d'ouevres.

I recall a series of articles in The Motor Cycle (Brit weekly of another era) which began with a picture of a really ratty Calthorpe that looked as if it'd been stored in a bat cave. Piece by piece they demonstrated the fine art of restoration.. somewhere I may have saved the lot. All sorts of cute tricks to straighten, reproduce, refinish. When they finished, it was fully functional and looked better than good (they weren't trying for museum grade IIRC).

But the hours.. {sigh}. It was indeed another era. (Still, even today a Vincent would be worth such attention - almost cost effective.)

Ashton
who needs to remember not to get attached.. to this project: once you WANT it to work/somehow: RIP objectivity :(