IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: never wear out your vinyl records
That's cool!

What I want most though, is this Turntable being sold at a store here called Linens & Things. It's a Turntable, CD player, and cassette player, but the best part is it also has a CD burner so that you can put in a tape or record, and burn it to a CD!

Sweet! That's what I want to do with my hundreds of cassette tapes of personal mixes and my vinyl albums. Problem is the price tag.... $399.00.

And yes, I know it's possible to do the same thing with a computer with cassettes, but we've had less than good success whenever attempting to burn anything from more than one CD so far. This looks far easier, play your music and it burns to CD.

Maybe someday when I can afford it. ;)

Brenda

Edit: Corrected price of the stereo.

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 5, 2006, 03:00:12 PM EST
New Re: price tag.
Problem is the price tag.... $499.00.
Then shop at [link|http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=101007&Ne=98&N=152&categoryId=152&pCategoryId=98&gpCategoryId=89|K-Mart] where it's now $100 and will be undoubtedly cheaper after Christmas.
Take a step back in time with this Nostalgia Stereo with Turntable. The stereo features a CD player, 33/45-RPM record player, AM/FM stereo tuner and stereo cassette player all in a wood grain cabinet with a lift lid and stereo speaker system.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New I know that exists, but it's not the same.
The one I want has a CD burner technology and can copy records and tapes to CD. I have a stereo already with turntable, CD and Cassette, but it can't burn anything to CD.

Thanks for trying, anyway! I'll see if I can find the URL for the one I'm talking about.

Lovely... it's already sold out online. I had the price wrong though, it's only $399.00

[link|http://www.lnt.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2568374|http://www.lnt.com/s...ategoryId=2568374]

I'll see if I can find another URL for it.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 5, 2006, 02:46:56 PM EST
New Here's the one I'm talking about
[link|http://www.bulverdehometheater.com/cr248.htm|http://www.bulverdeh...ter.com/cr248.htm]

I so so so want one!

Brenda

New You can do much better.
[link|http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=turntable+cd&btnG=Search|Froogle Search for "turntable cd"]

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New What I'm looking for is...
...a decent turntable that will play 78s. My dad has a surprisingly large collection of olld Decca 9and others) 78s, mostly classical, that I'd love to digitize. Original Caruso! Egad!
jb4
"When the final history is written in Iraq, [link|http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tmate/2006/tmate060926.gif|it'll look just like a comma.]"
George W. Bush, 24 Sep 06
New You might as well
because they have almost zero resale value.

Years ago when my grandmother passed away, I took her collection of 78s down to that record shop on the SW side of Chicago. I think it was around the 9700 block of south Western in the Beverly area, but the location is fuzzy nowadays. Anyway, it was the primo shop for buying and selling used LPs according to the Chiago Reader. Unfortunately, the owner said that even he had no market for music that old and refused to take them off my hands - even if I gave them to him for free.

I think my mom threw them away on the next trash day.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:golf_lover44@yahoo.com|contact me]
New Here ya go.
[link|http://cgi.ebay.com/Garrard-TYPE-A-70-turntable-wood-case-1960s-KILLER-NR_W0QQitemZ330059228423QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330059228423|Garrard Type A70] on eBay. I'm not up on Garrard as a brand except to note that my father has one almost exactly like this that he's used for decades.

It's $10 at the moment, but it's in unknown condition. Search around for "Garrard turntable" and you may find a deal.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Whose dad had lots of [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Jones|Spike Jones] stuff on 78s.)
New Garrard was a top name in the 70's
Dunno how they compare nowadays.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Probably about the same.
They pretty-much [link|http://www.garrard501.com/history.html|ceased] to be a major turntable company by 1979. ;-)

More information on Garrard is at [link|http://www.theturntablefactory.com/garrard.html|The Turntable Factory].

Cheers,
Scott.
New How did they compare to Dual?
I had one in college before I lost it to a burglary. Now I've got a Sony that I haven't used in years, but it worked the last time I tried it.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:golf_lover44@yahoo.com|contact me]
New Re: How did they compare to Dual?
Speaking as one evaluating/peddling such things, at the time -

Garrard was ~ mass-market Plymouth 4dr. sedan of the changers. A few higher-end were produced, none of lasting significance IIRC.
Dual a decided step^ - as changers go/went.

But audio-fidelity was all about turntables, particular arms, and very-particularly about cartridges: then as now.

Many early changers had 78-45-33 settings, as did a few turntables (even there were a few 16 rpm narration discs! + a few of the above with that setting. I never saw a 16 disc.)

Today, probably best bet to audition 78s is some turntable. (A few 78s were produced with good equipment on vinyl, as were some later 78s of contemporary performances - for audiophiles.) These are no more 'obsolete' right now than, say: an original Toscanini recording is, or will be in 2056.

Changers won't accommodate decent modern cartridges (though a Dual would handle near-decent, in the day.) Many cartridges had optional 3-mil stylii available; elliptically shaped were ~ best. These are likely hard to run down, now. Dunno what specialty shops have come up with lately. I don't play in the fields of, especially today's Mondo-$$$ equipment for the obsessed 1% ... wanna see an ad for a $40K turntable?

Many (most?) 78 recordings were never rereleased on 78 or 33 vinyl; the artists being very-daid. ie treasures will remain Out There for some time, unless the land-fill reaches the inheritor before a collector can hear, bid, enjoy.. gloat over find.

PS - wash the records! if you do acquire a player. Use lukewarm water, some detergent and a new paintbrush (semi-stiff == not sable fine grade!) and brush in 'plow' mode. Lots of fine debris will come out. Rinsing: at least distilled water final rinse; best of all - 'deionized water' (favored too, by Yuppies washing their Meguiar-waxed $60K parked icons, each Saturday.) Dry in dish rack or via warm air blower.

(I have some Caruso, Amelita Galli-Curci, Jussi Bj\ufffdrling et al. Alas my \ufffdber-grade Linn-Sondek turntable may or may not adapt for 78; I have no 78 stylus-equipped cartridge, either. Yet.) Not high on list, as none of my copies is of a rarity.. Til the remaining stuff really IS trashed wholesale(?)

Someday, if there are many survivors of the Nuke Age - they will despise us for the art we trashed, during this period of retro-knownothingism (as they will despise the hucksters who sold the idea that 'the new' is always better aka So Buy-new! Land-fill the old! - to demonstrate your Cla$$ to the neighbors.)

ie recently I was watching Born Yesterday, Billie Holliday's magnum opus of the Smart dumb-blonde VS Broderick Crawford's Junk-bizness man of another era - his worst characteristics are found today in a few, on every Bored of Directors. Ugly prescience, in 1952?

New If you want to "rip" platters, hook up the turntable to your
PC. You plug it into your sound card. With the right software, record the tunes and convert to MP3s. Put those on the CDs. Of course, if your CD players don't play MP3s, you could leave the music uncompressed as well.

You could also get something like [link|http://www.usb-ware.com/ads-instant-music.htm|this], and get the necessary software as well.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Does it actually record, or just digitize?
John's tried digitizing music from more than one CD and has problems with it so far (on my PC). I would like to be able to simply play the music and actually record from it, (similar to the CD players that record a CD on cassette tape). But I don't just want to convert or "rip" platters, I also have 900+ cassettes I would like to convert.

I know it's doable and the technolgy is out there, but it seems to be very difficult to do by the digitizing method. I would like to be able to do it myself, which the other method (play it and record at the same time) would do.

I don't use mp3s. I prefer CDs, but I would do it in whatever form worked to preserve some of my cassettes and albums.

Thanks for the info. :)

Brenda

New Re: Does it actually record, or just digitize?
Well, it's digitized and then stored as a file on disk. Often, people process (i.e. run a program on) the file to try to remove some of the hiss or clicking that one finds playing scratched records.

All CDs are digital. On the usual audio CDs that one buys, the recorded sound signal was sampled, a technical term meaning measured, and digitized to 16 bits (2 bytes), 44,100 times a second. 16 bits allows you to assign one of 64K values to the signal. That's 88.2 KB of data per second. Only a Luddite like Ashton would consider that insufficient for recorded music! :)

Compressing the data, and MP3 is only one version of compression, allows much more music to be put on a CD. Many CD players, for example those included in DVD players, play MP3 files.

Alex

New Oh, no, that's definitely insufficient
You can hear the difference between 24b 96KHz and 16b 44KHz pretty easily.
New Luddites for Reeducation LLC replies -
The dynamic range, distortion of mp3 is immediately apparent as unsuitable for orchestral works - you don't need Golden Ears to audition That.

Now as to the idiosyncrasies of the modern very-big DACs, ADCs -- there are interminable discussions extant, many comparisons (a few even Bob-Pease-grade: ie double blind!) Out There.

Alas, to play in those strata - one needs everything from the $5K cartridge on through a plethora of philosophies/religions surrounding the speaker end and everything in between. Academic por moi; my little cilia have been eroded sufficiently as to miss the characteristically low levels of IM: as appear mostly as high-freq. artifacts.

But, snake oil guzzlers aside - there appears to be a consensus amongst even the non-tetched that goes: ~~ with suitably trained ears (that means: both the large personal Interest in the nuance of sound reproduction plus teachable techniques for helping the brain ID certain effects:

The very best vinyl pressings and analogue-throughout reproduction will tend to produce more goose-bumps (of the I think it's Live! sort) over the expensive CD players + their selected, very-well recorded CD selections -- preferably of similar if not identical live performances, in the more compelling tests.

But of course the S/N ratio is poor amidst the zealots of either camp. At the moderate-center of the topic, though, there is what I'd call agreement that where $$ is no object: vinyl 'wins'. Academic, given the sparse new releases-on-vinyl VS artists VS material of one's personal interest.

ie as most of the Great performances of all time: were recorded in the past, and only a trifling % of those ever transferred to digital (even fewer - at highest quality?) -- this is not an issue only for audio-reproduction purists.

We are going to LOSE art that should not die, until some Billionaire type, perhaps atoning for a lifetime of cunning greed? throws a lot of money into finding, cleaning, processing these disks: for all humanity. (I can always enjoy Amelita Galli-Curci, over the noise; but would still love to have the reducible repetitive crap digitized out!)

One $15K? or $150K laser player seems like a decent expenditure, once it is demonstrated to exceed the performance of the $5K+ jewel-like cartridges of today. IMO.

But we'd rather build a new Plutonium fab and replace the B-2 bomber yada because we are Sick.

New You can digitize anything without loss of range
the problem is the compression. lossless encoding works beyond your ears ability to detect. Digital actually has BETTER range (96db vs 80db)
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
     never wear out your vinyl records - (lincoln) - (26)
         That tech would have 'killed' CDs - (imric) - (4)
             And the companion - (bepatient) - (3)
                 There's a business model there - (drewk)
                 Hmmm. - (imric) - (1)
                     Possibly. - (static)
         Re: never wear out your vinyl records - (Nightowl) - (17)
             Re: price tag. - (a6l6e6x) - (16)
                 I know that exists, but it's not the same. - (Nightowl) - (15)
                     Here's the one I'm talking about - (Nightowl) - (8)
                         You can do much better. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             What I'm looking for is... - (jb4) - (6)
                                 You might as well - (lincoln)
                                 Here ya go. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                     Garrard was a top name in the 70's - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                                         Probably about the same. - (Another Scott)
                                         How did they compare to Dual? - (lincoln) - (1)
                                             Re: How did they compare to Dual? - (Ashton)
                     If you want to "rip" platters, hook up the turntable to your - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                         Does it actually record, or just digitize? - (Nightowl) - (4)
                             Re: Does it actually record, or just digitize? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                 Oh, no, that's definitely insufficient - (jake123)
                                 Luddites for Reeducation LLC replies - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     You can digitize anything without loss of range - (bepatient)
         Vinyl what now? - (pwhysall) - (2)
             I do when it isn't available on CD/Cassette - (Nightowl)
             who's next album has different cuts from cd/tape -NT - (boxley)

I bumped into a dot.
77 ms