IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm not with the health nazis, but
...I don't see a lot of discussion here about the trend in the postwar (or should we now be calling them "interwar"?) decades for a lot of interlocking agro-industrial-marketing corporate factors to dump a shitload of Bad Stuff, of which transfats may serve for our present purposes as a plump poster child, into the food supply offered for sale to an increasingly ad-besotted and less-informed public. Sure, you can strike a noble pose against paternalism and the nanny state, but you can be certain that many of the talking points you lovingly copy-and-paste have been developed, focus-grouped and strewn out in our electronic smog of misinformation for you by Archer-Daniel-Midlands and sundry co-enablers. Believe me, if ADM (taking them up as an arbitrary example) suddenly discovered that its vast corn holdings were contaminated with mercury, you'd see an aggressive PR/political campaign to put the message across that any claims about supposed adverse health effects of mercury were unproven, of suspect provenance, and likely advanced by liberal so-called scientists with a hidden agenda to force Americans away from the blessings of high-fructose corn syrup and back onto dependence on foreign sugar—maybe even Cuban sugar.

Would you have the government stand out of the way in that event, and let the market sort it out? After all, if mercury is actually bad for a body the consumer will figger it out eventually. Worked [link|http://whyfiles.org/201mercury/images/minamata_child.jpg|in Japan] back in the day, didn't it?

It ain't a level playing field. Government is an imperfect instrument, to put it mildly, but corporate managers whose bonuses depend on the next quarter's numbers will poison you without a second thought.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New The "Health Nazis" are in Archer Daniel Midland's pocket.
They have drunk the cool-aid. They forced the fast food industry off relatively safe (note, I say "relatively safe", not "safe"), durable and economical beef tallow at the behest of ADM and their patsies in the American Heart Association who were still promoting trans fats a few months ago (still recommending margarine instead of (gasp!) butter). Surely fat research grants from ADM / Cargill had nothing at all to do with this, right?

The fast food industry didn't go to trans fats because they wanted to, but because they were forced to. The Health Nazis forced them off beef tallow. Normal vegetable oils are entirely unsuitable for deep frying, becoming rancid, CARCENOGENIC and unusable in just an hour or three (or minutes by some reconing).

So what is the fast food industry being force to now? Expensive GENETICALLY MODIFIED VEGETABLE OILS such as "canola" (formerly highly toxic rapeseed oil, but now in it's second round of genetic modification).

The other option is to go from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (trans fats) to fully hydrogenated vegetable oils - and guess what those are - they're FULLY SATURATED FATS - exactly what ADM'S Health Nazi patsies have declared is worse than the Devil himself - but since they're made from ADM perveyed products they are Jesus Christ in a Bottle (well, actually, in a tub, because fully saturated oils are stiff as a hocky puck at room temperature).

Remember, back in the 19th century when America practically lived on pig fat heart disease and cancer were very minor problem. They became prominent with the rise of "healthy" polyunsaturated oils and trans fats promoted by the grain and cotton industries.

I see absolutely no better roll for government than taking trans fats off the market. The consumer watches television advertising and has no concept whatever of the health impact. The consumer is in no way prepared to make proper decisions on this subject.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New OT the local"Dads" rootbeer has changed to corn syrop
what do you guys drink now?
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New My personal take on this is related to the fact that years
ago lead was a major ingredient in makeup. Should lead be permitted in makeup again and people should be allowed to make up their own minds about whether to use lead based foundations or not?

Basically, all NY is saying (AFAICT) is stop using this stuff because it's a heart attack in a bag (in the case of fries) and instead use this stuff, which is also a heart attack in a bag, but it's about a fifteenth of a heart attack compared to the trans fats.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New My point.
These things are manipulated horribly.

Growing up with the horrible DDT fraud perpetrated on the US people - that my Dad was involved in - makes me EXTREMELY cynical about crap like this.

I love my country, mind you.

I FEAR my government.

The two are not the same.

When the government does something 'for our own good' that the people do not demand, I immediately smell Rattus Rattus. I may be wrong sometimes - but see my 'Tips for Living'.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

in NYC you hafta eat yer fries outside wid the smokers - (boxley) - (30)
         Good - (broomberg) - (1)
             Yup, and it's the stuff the American Heart Association . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Serves WHO right? - (admin)
         No Oreos for you. - (bepatient) - (1)
             I thought it was already... - (folkert)
         Off the cuff aside, this should scare the hell out of you - (bepatient) - (24)
             No kidding. -NT - (imric)
             Yeah.. even more than the Iran invasion, I wot. - (Ashton) - (16)
                 Once again - (imric) - (15)
                     Duh ...I get the 'Control' aspect , you fuel - (Ashton) - (14)
                         No it does not fall into "public health" - (bepatient) - (3)
                             What don't you understand about - (Ashton)
                             I don't think you can quite compare this with Prohibition. - (admin) - (1)
                                 Yet. -NT - (bepatient)
                         Cha Cha Cha. - (imric) - (9)
                             While I agree with the sentiment... - (admin) - (2)
                                 excuse me, what happened to user pays - (boxley) - (1)
                                     I agree. - (admin)
                             How is this any different than banning cyclamates? - (imqwerky) - (5)
                                 ROFL. Were cyclamates bad? - (imric) - (4)
                                     Great idea. Lets all eat raw spinach - (bepatient)
                                     And don't fergit C - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                         Simple, that last - - (Ashton)
                                     Heh.. wait'll ya see brewing reports on fructose/corn syrup -NT - (Ashton)
             Foie gras is now banned in Chicago - (lincoln)
             I'm not with the health nazis, but - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 The "Health Nazis" are in Archer Daniel Midland's pocket. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 OT the local"Dads" rootbeer has changed to corn syrop - (boxley)
                 My personal take on this is related to the fact that years - (jake123)
                 My point. - (imric)

Build a 10-mile high titanium wall around the whole shebang.
112 ms