IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Do we care?
Blowing up in flight is really not all that bad. Suppose all 4 airliners had been blown up instead of hitting their targets? Minor loss of life really, when one considers how many died in autos in September, 2001: 3,300

bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New Reminds me of stat we quoted
when I worked in Army Payroll. 99.9% of the checks (pre direct deposit) were delivered on time.

And then some added... But what if you were the .1%...

In this case, do we care? What if it's you, your spouse, child, or parent(s) on board. Do we still not care?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New You missed my point, I think.
If we really cared about dead Americans, then we'd do something about using late 19th and early 20th century technology as our primary means of transportation in the 21st century. We lost 2800 to a terrorist attack in September, 2001. Our reaction? Shred the Constitution, elect a President and Vice President who actively lobby for torture, etc. ad mucho nauseum. But, the automobile kills more people each and every single month than terrorists did in that one month. Our reaction? Zip. Nada. IOW, "we" don't care.

{Edit: typo?)
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 18, 2006, 02:08:50 PM EDT
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 18, 2006, 02:09:34 PM EDT
New Must have
Thought you were advocating shooting down hijacked airplanes cuz loss of live was less than potential disaster.

Mea culpa
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Rough deal on the passengers...
...but it'd make great TV.

You just know that someone at Fox has had that thought.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
New Of course they have
Why else would the AirForce have new color cams installed in all the attack aircraft?
New It's not the technology.
Fact is, American drivers crash a lot because they're badly educated.

We drive much the same cars (minus some of the true monsters) in more crowded conditions over here and we crash less. A lot less. About 10% as much, in fact.

The difference? We have harder, more rigorous driver testing (which is still inadequate, imho).

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
New American Driving Test
Part 1. The written test.

1) what color means stop?
2) What color means go?
3) What is your name?

If you get two right you pass.

Part II. The driving test

1) Start the car.
2) Turn on the lights.
3) Honk the horn.
4) Work the turn signals.
5) Drive around the block without hitting anything.

Get 80% or better to pass.
New dont drive around the block in georgia
setup of pylons, drive nose in, back in a 3 point turn to reverse then parrelel park on the next set of pylons. None of them go down you have a license.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New I've always *Loved* the L-plate!
For Muricans -Learner == a big-L prominently displayed near license plate.

It's just so freaking Sane:

A new driver needs to be educated; the other drivers need to be warned.
..now throw in the Competitive Edge: that L- guy (especially) NEEDS to get that sucker off his Aston-Martin S.A.P. - so he graduates to the Hard test S.A.P. Duh.

Muricans just Do Not Get the really hard stuff - like this.

New They don't do that in the US? Eek!
Here we have L's while you're learning, and nowadays we have a two phases of "P" (Provisional) plates. Red P-Plates for (at least) the first twelve months, and after passing another test, on to Green P-Plates for a further two years.

The tests I believe still aren't great, but probably an improvement from when I was learning to drive.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New I suppose this can be overdone
But I (still) like the idea inculcated into the supplicant:

We Shall reTest you (twice yet.)
Now if the tests aren't 'very good' - I guess I'd deem this a rare situation where even a crappy 'test' has the necessary psych effect. So your folks could, in time, clean up their act - we don't even Have an act.

We are absurd about this stuff.. driving today in US needs some of the wisdom of Nuvolari, Fangio - just to dodge the cell-zombies in suspended animation, so in love with the mouth. On-ramps need some real seat/pants basic physics Experience (real-slow/cautious is as bad as juvenile bravado.)

I no words.

New when I drive here I assume that everyone on the road
is attempting to kill me. Keeps you alert and is probably inadvertantly true.,
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Agree. But that's not the only reason.
I'd wager that the average Murican spends a lot more time in an automobile than the average European. Part of it is cultural (we don't live in the bad cities, but work there. We live 30-50 miles away and the only means of transporation to/from work is our auto). Part of it is geography. But the biggest part, imo, is the absolutely insane "American love of the automobile." So intense is this ludicrous "love of the auto" here that it overrides the death and destruction this worst human invention has foisted upon us. Several years ago I went to Washington and saw the Viet Nam War Memorial with a friend. He said, "Look at that. Look at the waste, the ultimate stupidity." I replied, "Yes. But consider the size of the monument we'd have to erect to memorialize all the US dead from automobiles during the same period. It would be 15 times the size of this one. That's ultimate stupidity."
bcnu,
Mikem

How Safe Are We? - (Nightowl) - (46)
         You're a lot safer than - (lincoln) - (1)
             Re: You're a lot safer than - (Nightowl)
         Your post proves one thing - (pwhysall)
         Life is one thing - (Ashton)
         How paranoid are we? - (warmachine) - (22)
             Major nit. - (jb4) - (20)
                 Re: Major nit. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                     Use the Sign, Luke... -NT - (jb4) - (2)
                         Re: Use the Sign, Luke... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             [sarcasm] is all you need (with WeeCodes on). -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Don't forget airline policy. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                     Correct...so now MO is back to blowing them up in flight. -NT - (bepatient) - (14)
                         Do we care? - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                             Reminds me of stat we quoted - (jbrabeck) - (12)
                                 You missed my point, I think. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                     Must have - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                         Rough deal on the passengers... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Of course they have - (jbrabeck)
                                     It's not the technology. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                         American Driving Test - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                             dont drive around the block in georgia - (boxley)
                                         I've always *Loved* the L-plate! - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             They don't do that in the US? Eek! - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                 I suppose this can be overdone - (Ashton)
                                                 when I drive here I assume that everyone on the road - (boxley)
                                         Agree. But that's not the only reason. - (mmoffitt)
             Not paranoid. - (Nightowl)
         Finding the balance - (JayMehaffey)
         We *are* safer, or we *feel* safer? - (drewk) - (12)
             But my point seems to be missed - (Nightowl) - (11)
                 No, you're less safe, because the things the US have been - (jake123) - (4)
                     Great minds, etc. -NT - (drewk)
                     I tried to explain it again - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         And *I'll* explain again - (drewk) - (1)
                             Re: And *I'll* explain again - (Nightowl)
                 No - (drewk) - (5)
                     On an individual level only. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                         I think what you are talking about is confidence - (hnick) - (1)
                             Confidence, that works too. :) - (Nightowl)
                         Re: On an individual level only. - (pwhysall)
                     An accurate beginning-list, - (Ashton)
         You spelled it wrong, Nightey - (jb4)
         As safe as ever - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             But see, that was my point - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 The Earth will be swallowed by the Sun. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Thanks, that helps :) - (Nightowl)

Boy, isn't that true about damn near any subject?
86 ms