IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On an individual level only.
One more time.

*I* as a person am safer because I have a better awareness of the dangers around me in the world, whether they be manmade, natural or terrorism. Can I still be blown up, yes. Can I still be shot, yes. Can I still be in an accident, yes.

But I have taken more precautions, and not because I'm in fear for my life all the time, I've gotten past that initial reaction. I have taken those precautions because I have learned to protect myself better. I.e. avoid disasters when I can, by having safety measures in place, drive carefully, watch around me when walking to and from my car.

This isn't a statement about whether the world around me is safer, or whether I am safe, because as I explained in the original post, there is no actual safe. I am simply able to protect myself better than I used to because I am more aware.

The attacks of 9/11 were no different than Hurricane Katrina in that sense only, that they taught us "Yes this CAN happen to us." And hopefully next time, on an individual level, people will be more able to help themselves in such a disaster.

One more statement and I have to get offline today. In St. Louis, some people whined about there being no electricity for days. Some had no flashlights, no unperishable food, etc. They expected the government to come to their rescue.

Granted, the government should help some, but what are the odds now that after the disaster has hit, MORE people have working flashlights, have stored up non-perishable food and drinking water, etc. etc. I know I have increased my ability to handle that type of disaster, so therefore I learned.

That is my simple point. We learn more about how to protect ourselves with each experience we encounter, and therefore we are safer in that respect only. Not in regards to the world or country or city around us.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 12, 2006, 11:08:59 AM EDT
New I think what you are talking about is confidence
The more adversity you survive, the more confident you are about surviving the next. It's not the same as being safer, but it may feel like it.
On the other paw, maybe this isn't what you're talking about. In which case never mind
New Confidence, that works too. :)
The more adversity you survive, the more confident you are about surviving the next. It's not the same as being safer, but it may feel like it.

That word seems to work too. :) Just add onto that the fact that the knowledge of how to take care of myself and protect myself brings that confidence that I can cope or get through it, or watch out for dangers more readily. :)

But yes, the word confidence works when stated as "I have more confidence because I have gained more knowledge to use in those situations."

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 12, 2006, 11:27:18 AM EDT
New Re: On an individual level only.
*I* as a person am safer because I have a better awareness of the dangers around me in the world, whether they be manmade, natural or terrorism. Can I still be blown up, yes. Can I still be shot, yes. Can I still be in an accident, yes.

Your awareness does not raise your safety level. You are less safe because your government has reduced your safety level in the name of the Wah on Terrah. Drewk explains above.

The risks that have increased are those which you cannot influence.

Have a nice day.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
     How Safe Are We? - (Nightowl) - (46)
         You're a lot safer than - (lincoln) - (1)
             Re: You're a lot safer than - (Nightowl)
         Your post proves one thing - (pwhysall)
         Life is one thing - (Ashton)
         How paranoid are we? - (warmachine) - (22)
             Major nit. - (jb4) - (20)
                 Re: Major nit. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                     Use the Sign, Luke... -NT - (jb4) - (2)
                         Re: Use the Sign, Luke... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             [sarcasm] is all you need (with WeeCodes on). -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Don't forget airline policy. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                     Correct...so now MO is back to blowing them up in flight. -NT - (bepatient) - (14)
                         Do we care? - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                             Reminds me of stat we quoted - (jbrabeck) - (12)
                                 You missed my point, I think. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                     Must have - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                         Rough deal on the passengers... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Of course they have - (jbrabeck)
                                     It's not the technology. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                         American Driving Test - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                             dont drive around the block in georgia - (boxley)
                                         I've always *Loved* the L-plate! - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             They don't do that in the US? Eek! - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                 I suppose this can be overdone - (Ashton)
                                                 when I drive here I assume that everyone on the road - (boxley)
                                         Agree. But that's not the only reason. - (mmoffitt)
             Not paranoid. - (Nightowl)
         Finding the balance - (JayMehaffey)
         We *are* safer, or we *feel* safer? - (drewk) - (12)
             But my point seems to be missed - (Nightowl) - (11)
                 No, you're less safe, because the things the US have been - (jake123) - (4)
                     Great minds, etc. -NT - (drewk)
                     I tried to explain it again - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         And *I'll* explain again - (drewk) - (1)
                             Re: And *I'll* explain again - (Nightowl)
                 No - (drewk) - (5)
                     On an individual level only. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                         I think what you are talking about is confidence - (hnick) - (1)
                             Confidence, that works too. :) - (Nightowl)
                         Re: On an individual level only. - (pwhysall)
                     An accurate beginning-list, - (Ashton)
         You spelled it wrong, Nightey - (jb4)
         As safe as ever - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             But see, that was my point - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 The Earth will be swallowed by the Sun. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Thanks, that helps :) - (Nightowl)

Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
76 ms