IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Beep says:

zero debt is not mandatory

How about "debt REDUCTION for starters? How about a government living within its means? You do it (I think) so why can't they?

I hope that you're including the budget for the Pentagon in the word "entitlements", cause we can't grow the economy fast enough to keep up with what they're spending either!
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Check your numbers
Spending on major entitlements (SS, Medicare) FAR exceeds military spending. [link|http://seekerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/_research_features_issues_charts_Defense_Defense2_l-tm.jpg|Graph]

Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New US budget is nearly useless
The US governments budgets and accounting are terribly bad. Not only are the basic accounting practices awful, to the point of being illegal if it was a corporation, but there is a healthy layer of outright falsehood layered on top.

For instance, how much of the US military budget is spent building and maintaining our arsenel of nuclear weapons? None. All of the money for nukes is accounted against the Department of Energy and not included in the government accounting of military expenses.

The end result of this is that the offical figures that put military expenses at about 20% can be ignored. Depending on how you do the accounting the figures range from 30% to 50%.

Here is a fairly good, if very anti-war page that talks about this [link|http://www.warresisters.org/piechart.htm|WarResisters.org].

Jay
New Nice use of statistics.
using 80% of debt service and including in in the military. Fabulous.

No matter how you want to try and fudge factor otherwise...entitlements (non-discretionary spending..which does include vet benefits) is magnitudes higher than defense spending..even if you add builing nukes.

You can't slice and dice your way out of it.

AND, we can stop building nukes tomorrow. We can close military bases. We cannot cut off granny's doctor and her ss payments. And those payments are going to grow faster than the economy...while defense spending has been shrinking versus the economy since ww2.

New Wot, no sarcasm sign?
Do you honestly believe, with the 'war on terror', that the US Congress would cut military spending ahead of social services? Will enough Congessmen risk the label of unpatriotic? Will enough of the electorate say that safety is not worth grannies suffering? Will the welfare recipients create enough national fuss to make the public rethink? Will the de facto state of war end in the near future?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New You seem to not understand
the boys in congress CANNOT stop paying for the "social services". Entitlements are named aptly.
New Who says so? Congress. Who will demonstrate if they renege?
As welfare isn't a constitutionally protected right, it was legislated in and it can be legislated out. As boxley says, mandatory is relative.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
New It is not that simple
your protestations to the opposite notwithstanding.

But it is a nice attempt at obfuscation.
New Then explain it!
Matthew Greet

New Its not relevent, so no.
New Everybody who has paid into SS.
Everybody with little or nothing set aside for old age.

Everybody with no disability insurance.

The elderly.

The poor.

It would be political death for the individuals and parties that tried it.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Thank you for doing what bepatient has refused
When a budget crunch happens, at least one of three things must happen to varying degrees. The backlash that I see is:-

1. Raise taxes - the employed, businesses and economists denounce this as stupid and make a monumental fuss. The appropriate Congressman are labelled as damaging the economy.
2. Cut military spending - the military, the Senate, the President and administration denounce this as damaging to the war on terror. The media, with Fox in particular, label the appropriate Congressman as undermining national safety and drown out any sensible debate.
3. Cut social services - the poor and elderly, as you identify, demonstrate. The media label the appropriate Congressman as heartless and picking on the weak.

All three are politically damaging but when the budget reaches the point where the problem cannot be ignored, it becomes a question of which is the least politically damaging. Could I imagine the US electorate thinking "I'm prepared to have less money to maintain welfare." or "A greater risk of terrorism is no excuse to let the poor and elderly suffer."? No. I envisage marginal military cuts at best. Taxes, especialy for the purposes of wealth redistribution, are unamerican. That leaves least worst action.

Unless you are arguing 3 would create more shouting than 1 or 2.
Matthew Greet

New What was the point?
What started the discussion?

Levels of spending.

So you insisting that I dive into your land of make-believe served no purpose to further any point being made, save yours.

Option 1 WILL HAPPEN. Regardless of what you term "the fuss". first step will be to eliminate the FICA cap. I expect this to occur in the next 10 years. That will equate to a 0% impact on anyone earning 90k or less...and a 0-8% impact on people making more than this. I expect this to happen under democratic leadership.

Option 2, as I explained, has already been happening on a percentage basis for 60 years. Whether you think so or not, even with the "billions" that are passed around by the press...in the grand scale this war isn't really costing us that much in "benchmark" terms (vietnam, WW2, Korea). Remember that US GDP is 12 TRILLION and growing at 3-5% a year. Regardless of this, the US government could zero spending on all programs except SS, Medicare and interest coverage...and would still be broke in 2050 (given CBO projections).

Option 3 will also happen to varying degrees. However, the way these items were legislated leaves the current politicos extremely little power over their continued existance. These programs cannot simply be "erased", (again, your protestations to the contrary noted, though incorrect). The agency proscribes benefits to be administered. The trust is held and accounted at Public Debt away from general funds. There is no way, none, that a majority vote would make it through that would dissolve the program. (it would benefit me and many here greatly, though).

What will happen. Benefits will be delayed...making people work longer before their SS payments are received. They will eventually establish means testing so that Bill Gates and his friends will not qualify for benefits. etc.

The problem is, it is extremely likely given our government's inability to do things right, that these changes will be made so late in the game that we will still run the risk of economic collapse.
New A counter argument, at last
Not being American it is entirely possible that my analysis of US culture or budget is incorrect. Your explanations do change the basis of my analysis.

So, welfare spending dwarfs military spending so much that zero military spending still wouldn't solve the problem. Alas, a 0-8% tax on the rich, locking out of the rich and delaying payment is nowhere near enough $80 trillion either. Ouch!

That strikes me that the military won't be heavily cut as there's little point in fighting a hard, political battle that still won't solve the problem. A combination of tax and welfare cuts, then. Since the budget continues to be out of balance with no effort to fix that, by the time action is taken, a workable tax raise on a $12 trillion economy isn't going to cover it. Double ouch!

That leaves the economic-collapsing tax, as you say, or cutting welfare. Both a working economy and a working welfare are mandatory. Mandatory is relative. Which will cause the least riots? I can't see welfare surviving.
Matthew Greet

New Heehee.
As I understand it, there are more 'elderly' voters than any other block. Hell, the younger set are so disillusioned, they don't vote at all.

Cut SS? Cut Medicare?

Not happening.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New Even the middle aged?
With military cuts not being enough, as bepatient points out, that leaves tax raises and welfare cuts, pitting the working population against the elderly. The elderly will outvote everyone else, even the middle aged, you say? Tyranny by the politically active elderly, jealously guarding their pension. Better than theocracy, I suppose.
Matthew Greet

New Yup.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Sigh
I knew I shouldn't have used that link, but I didn't have a better one handy. And yes, attributing 80% of the national debt cost to the military is very high. But your missing the point. The current government accounting attributes none of it to the military, which is obviously even more wrong headed.

No matter how you want to try and fudge factor otherwise...entitlements (non-discretionary spending..which does include vet benefits) is magnitudes higher than defense spending..even if you add builing nukes.

Even if you accept the governments figures non-military spending is only 4 times military spending. Given a more realistic figure, military spending is around 1/3, entitlements are around 1/3, payments on our debt is about 10% and the other 25% or so is everything else.

Jay
     It's going to suck when we have to pay the piper - (lincoln) - (43)
         You must be a Republican - (bepatient) - (33)
             And interest on the National Debt is not mandatory? - (lincoln) - (25)
                 What he's done in the past 2 years - (bepatient) - (24)
                     So raise the cutoff. -NT - (Silverlock)
                     Beep says: - (lincoln) - (17)
                         Check your numbers - (bepatient) - (16)
                             US budget is nearly useless - (JayMehaffey) - (15)
                                 Nice use of statistics. - (bepatient) - (14)
                                     Wot, no sarcasm sign? - (warmachine) - (12)
                                         You seem to not understand - (bepatient) - (11)
                                             Who says so? Congress. Who will demonstrate if they renege? - (warmachine) - (10)
                                                 It is not that simple - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                     Then explain it! -NT - (warmachine) - (1)
                                                         Its not relevent, so no. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                 Everybody who has paid into SS. - (imric) - (6)
                                                     Thank you for doing what bepatient has refused - (warmachine) - (5)
                                                         What was the point? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                             A counter argument, at last - (warmachine)
                                                         Heehee. - (imric) - (2)
                                                             Even the middle aged? - (warmachine) - (1)
                                                                 Yup. -NT - (imric)
                                     Sigh - (JayMehaffey)
                     Great. So starvation and plague is mandatory. - (imric) - (4)
                         There's another way. - (Another Scott)
                         It has nothing to do with class - (bepatient) - (2)
                             Oh, aye. - (imric) - (1)
                                 Regardless of who is trying to "insert your verb here" - (bepatient)
             Not quite. - (imric) - (6)
                 Proposals versus message - (bepatient)
                 SS is a scam (giant Ponzi scheme) -NT - (tonytib) - (4)
                     That HAS benefited many worthy people. - (imric) - (3)
                         While sarcastic - (bepatient) - (2)
                             no one has the balls to declare it old folks welfare - (boxley) - (1)
                                 'Doesn\ufffdt anything socialistic make you want to throw up? - - (Ashton)
         welcome to 1980 - (boxley)
         Need Medicare or Social Security? Run! Get out while... etc - (warmachine)
         I have an actual *cough* solution - (Ashton) - (4)
             So your suggestion to solve the 2025 spend crisis is - (bepatient) - (3)
                 no, when the elder patient asks a doc for a script - (boxley) - (1)
                     Well, he won't be doing that up here - (jake123)
                 A little reductio goes well with the - (Ashton)
         economics according to the brothers Grimm - (cforde) - (1)
             Some of those are interesting - (bepatient)

Any more detail than what's there and you'd have to have the magic software they use in movies to pull a license plate out of five pixels.
157 ms