IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oil sets record high
[link|http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/13/markets/oil.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes|CNN]
Oil surged past record highs and into $76 territory Thursday as worries over lower U.S. crude stocks were underlined by increased tension in the oil-rich Middle East and suspected explosions at a pipeline in OPEC exporter Nigeria.

No surprises here, the only question now is when will it hit $80.

I expect prices at the pump to begin edging up again, that should be interesting itself. People adjusted to $3 gas pretty quickly, but most of that was absorbed by taking the slack out of the system. Any futher rises in price are liable to result in quick rises in the cost of goods.

Jay
New Re: Oil sets record high
Prices should "start" edging up? Price has gone up here in Chicagoland about a quarter over the last 2-3 weeks, from around $2.95 to now around $3.20 for the cheap stuff.

Good thing I don't have to commute to work, and *damn* good thing that my commute isn't the 55 miles one-way that it was 2 years ago. Working from home has definite benefits; not having to fill up the car but once every 3-4 weeks is one of them.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New With the stability in all these oil producing states...
...prices will likely hit the $100 point in the near future.
New ... and the US dollar continuing to slump...

I expect prices at the pump to begin edging up again

It's already happening. Several stations that I pass every day commuting to work went up 2-3 cents since yesterday morning, and I expect them to land at $2.99/gal by tomorrow afternoon, just in time for the regular weekend price hikes.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New I'd love to be there
Where the prices edged up 2-3 cents. Here they JUMP 20-30 cents, then fall back 1-2 cents a day until the next weeks jump. I can live with incremental increases, not 10% increase.

And before you ask, the stations have gotten smart to the fact that "everyone" knew the price was going to change on Tuesday and filled up on Monday. Now you never know which day will be price jump day. Surprisingly (sacasrm) every station, all brands, jump on the same day, within hours of each other. (/sarcasm)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
Supply and demand. Oil needs to be refined into gas, we only have so many refineries. The St. Louis Blackout recently took out a refinery and as a result we had higher gas prices due to lack of supply in our area.

We need to develop alternatives to gas, hydrogen is a possibility. Yet we need to find a way to make hydrogen economical, my last look into it cost about $4/gallon to remove hydrogen from water. Now if gas rises to above $4/gallon, we might have to look at hydrogen.

Ethanol is another possbility if only we could spare the food to help make it. Brazil seems to have a good ethanol program, and they started it in the 1970's to ween themselves off of foreign oil. The technology exists for ethanol powered cars and in the midwest we have gas stations that have 85% ethanol.

Don't forget that there is peak oil and peak natural gas, and that the consumption of which leads to more CO2 in the air which might be causing global warming. We need alternatives not to just ween ourselves off of foreign oil, but to reduce CO2 levels.

"It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English -- up to fifty words used in correct context -- no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese."
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)

[link|http://district268.xormad.com|I am from District 268].
New Interesting that supply is currently fine
OPEC is pumping 2 million barrels a day over demand. Sounds like the mullahs and wall street are making a killing over our wallets.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Re: Interesting that supply is currently fine
Perhaps they are. How are the oil refineries converting oil into gas these days? What profits are oil companies showing? Does the invisible hand set the price or is it the oil companies themselves? We need to figure some of this stuff out to get a clearer picture. Regards.

"It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English -- up to fifty words used in correct context -- no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese."
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)

New oil refineries buy contracts for delivered oil
the futures market determines the price. It is being speculated well above demand price. This is the result of deliberate financial manipulation by enemies of the west and US pension funds and wall street profiteers. Its neither the oil companies or the government that is causing the rise in price, it is sheer speculaton.
thanx
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Not our government anyway
Both India and China are a significant reason for the steady rise over the last couple of years. China in particular is trying to build up their own strategic petroleum reserve and has more dollars then they know what to do with. So any time the price begins to sag, China starts buying more.

I wouldn't let the big oil companies off the hook though. While the current price is probably higher then they would like to see, it has become clear that during the late 90's and early 00's they intentionally set out to increase oil prices by reducing the over capacity of refineries in the US, despite the fact that oil demand was rising.

Jay
New Since I rarely believe in coincidence ...
It seems unlikely the oil companies had nothing to do with the rise in prices, but it just so happens that lead to record profits.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Indeed there are many factors
but we must look at who benefits from the higher prices and wonder.

Yet isn't it odd that local gas stations almost always charge the same price for gas and when one raised its price, the others raise their price as well?

My brother works for a major gas station company and he says that they make 3 cents a gallon on average, yet if that is true the oil companies supplying the gas are overcharging the gas stations. He works for a gas station that sells food, soda, bread, and other stuff which make up for the low profit on gas sales.

Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)

Oil sets record high - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
         Re: Oil sets record high - (Yendor)
         With the stability in all these oil producing states... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             ... and the US dollar continuing to slump... -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: Oil sets record high - (lincoln) - (1)
             I'd love to be there - (jbrabeck)
         Re: Oil sets record high - (orion)
         Interesting that supply is currently fine - (boxley) - (5)
             Re: Interesting that supply is currently fine - (orion) - (4)
                 oil refineries buy contracts for delivered oil - (boxley) - (3)
                     Not our government anyway - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                         Since I rarely believe in coincidence ... - (drewk) - (1)
                             Indeed there are many factors - (orion)

Kikkoman *punch*!
82 ms