IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hell of an attitude
Presentation is everything.
All messages may be ignored unless they are perfectly conveyed.

Yes, typos detract. But cancel out?
C'mon.

Judge the message, not the presentation.

Hmmm.

Something tells me I can't take you seriously anymore.
After all, you screwed up your capitalization in your message.
hehe.
New There is a minor difference
I expect a level of professionalism if someone is trying to tell me, with scientific certainty, that doom is around the corner.

Some of the presentations are actually decent...but I would expect anyone doing this to have separate eyes check their files. It protects against the simple fact that a mistake in presentation puts the entire message at risk.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Hmmm. True, but also symptomatic
of a real problem in our country.

Style over substance.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Accepted
But, having not seen the typo, I can't judge on the impact on the quality of presentation.

And again, that "minor" difference might be the result of a last second change.

And we've ALL seen that type of stupid crap slip through, no matter how professional. I try not to pick on trivial issues unless I'm in pedant mode, and my goal is to merely annoy an enemy, rather than try to gain an understanding.

And after that point, can we even change it when it goes for the public release as part of the conference? Very unlikely. I've seen the material used on the presentation screen a bit more up to date than what came with the materials since it got a final once over.
New Accepted
But, having not seen the typo, I can't judge on the impact on the quality of presentation.

And again, that "minor" difference might be the result of a last second change.

And we've ALL seen that type of stupid crap slip through, no matter how professional. I try not to pick on trivial issues unless I'm in pedant mode, and my goal is to merely annoy an enemy, rather than try to gain an understanding.

And after that point, can we even change it when it goes for the public release as part of the conference? Very unlikely. I've seen the material used on the presentation screen a bit more up to date than what came with the materials since it got a final once over.
New Your comments are noted.
>> Something tells me I can't take you seriously anymore.<<

I appreciate your comments. Sorry about the typo. "Lots" was misspelled.

IWE isn't like Cheers, eh? (Not everybody's glad you came.)

In leaving, I wish you all good health and prosperity.

Bye.
New I think you're not quite reading that right
Barry was criticizing Bill, not you.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Hehe - missed that.
I ASSUMED he was responding to Bill, not me, and then reviewed the levels of responses to confirm what you pointed out.

Of course, that was after I wrote a missive encouraging him to stay, no matter what he thought about Bill.

New Not everyone is, every time
So what?

Given a civil discourse, even the most blinded people might eventually come around. The question, is it worth it? Do they have the base level of intelligence that make the discussion possible? Do they have enough educational background (or the ability and impetus to do more research)? Can you be the impetus?

Preaching to the choir will always get an Amen, but it won't accomplish the task of changing people's opinions and then actions.

Some people throw up road bocks, not at the substance, but at the method of delivery. which means they are not ready to address the contents. So then the task is to address the concern or show how trivial it is. And then move on.

Having met Bill, his family, and spent some really good times with him, I KNOW he's what I consider "good people". Occasionally misguided (from my warped perspective), but it sure works well for him, far better than my more "rational" (take nothing on faith) method of looking at the world.

So, in the areas that don't directly contradict certain areas of faith (such as the amount of petroleum reserves left), this is the perfect area to have a discussion.

If it takes a bit of effort, and an occasional thick skin, I think it is worth it.
New Excuse me?
Beyond commenting on the content of the website you posted...you took offense to >what< , exactly?

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New presentations - plural
sure sounds like beep is talking about the site you linked to, not the typo in your post.
Darrell Spice, Jr.            Trendy yet complex\nPeople seek me out - though they're not sure why\n[link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]                      [link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare]
     Presentations from the Peak Oil Conference recently - (dmcarls) - (12)
         Doesn't give good impression to have typo in presentations - (bepatient) - (11)
             Hell of an attitude - (broomberg) - (10)
                 There is a minor difference - (bepatient) - (3)
                     Hmmm. True, but also symptomatic - (imric)
                     Accepted - (broomberg)
                     Accepted - (broomberg)
                 Your comments are noted. - (dmcarls) - (5)
                     I think you're not quite reading that right - (jake123) - (1)
                         Hehe - missed that. - (broomberg)
                     Not everyone is, every time - (broomberg)
                     Excuse me? - (bepatient)
                     presentations - plural - (SpiceWare)

Before such superhuman attainments of sustained triviality one stands in something like awe.
47 ms