IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Question for moms or dads please?
Well, the reunion is over, and I got through it. But an instance came up with children and I and I would like honest input about how I tried to handle it. You all know I don't handle children well, but to be truthful, I thought I tried to handle the below situation about as well as I possibly could have under the circumstances. Let me know if you agree or not.

I had gone outside to hear the music awhile, and then returned inside to help Katie pack up some things on one of the other tables. John came and pointed out that there were 6 children all in my stuff (boxes lined up under the table near where I manned the guest book and name tags, etc.).

These children were 4 girls and 2 boys, and I believe the oldest one was about 9 or 10 years old and sort of the leader of the "pack". I had had some problems with her on decorating night, but handled those fairly well. Now I had 6 children swarming my boxes, taking out all my post-it notes and all my various markers, etc.

So my first reaction was to think, "what would a parent do?" so I told them they couldn't have all my markers and all my post-it notes, and I gave them 11 colored flair pens and two stacks of post-its. They were not apparently happy with this, but isn't that what a parent might have done? I didn't think it was a good idea for that many children to have permanent markers (sharpies) which I took away.

I returned to my other job and John pointed out it wasn't working, and I went back with his help and tried to get them out again, of my boxes. This was not working, as I would get the sharpies back and they would take more post-its and etc. They could grab back as fast as I could retrieve. So this time I went for adult help. I was also very concerned because there were dangerous items in many of the boxes, including exacto knives, scissors, needles, pins, tacks, and even medications. I couldn't possibly move it all at once (which was what my sister later said I should have done), because 1) I couldn't lift it all and 2) there was no where that was easy to go to as all the tables now had their chairs on top of them so people could mop the floor. I didn't want children into my stuff and possibly getting hurt!

So I went to Katie and explained that I couldn't get things packed up across the room because the kids were in my stuff, and I couldn't get things packed up by the kids either (there were about 7-8 boxes under the table) because they were swarming the card table and the boxes. Katie went over there and ordered all the children to get back from the card table till I got everything out from under it and off it. There were a few things under there, including an electric fan,a file box, and some extension cords and a power bar. The rest was alongside it under a long table. After Katie left and I went to unload the card table, the kids were right back there at me, interfering yet again. This time I kinda got mad and slightly hollered, "Allright, everyone away from my card table, did you hear Katie?" and they jumped back. My cousin Trenna heard the commotion and ran to help me also, I told Trenna I would move and pack elsewhere if we could get the kids to stay out long enough to move it all, and so she began corral the children and get them to go outside one at a time while we tried to gather everything up.

I got John to start grabbing boxes and pointed to the far corner of the room (far away from the children) where mom was packing her stuff and we started ferrying it all the way down there to pack. There were long church pews there and I figured I could put the boxes on those, (as most of the floor was wet from the mopping). And that is what I did.

Most people think I handled it fairly well. My sister however, seems to think it was my all responsibility to keep the children out of the stuff or move the stuff away from the children and no culpability on the part of the kids.

My take on it was I tried all the right things, I think, and they failed. I don't understand why they failed, but they did. After that I think it was someone else's responsibility to help me because I couldn't contain the situation myself.

I also believe that if one of those children had gotten ahold of something dangerous and something bad happened, I would have been liable. Mom doesn't think so, but I do.

So does anyone think I handled it best I knew how, or was there something else maybe I could have done that was better? I didn't know who all the kids were so I couldn't just go get their parents, because there were 80 people there, and I didn't know who's kids were whoms. Should I have tried to find the parents somehow? But then I would have had to leave the kids alone with the boxes again.

It was all very frustrating. I would just like some input on how I handled it?

Thanks.

Brenda

P.S. I think when people have children, they must grow octopus arms to control them.

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl June 26, 2006, 02:12:14 PM EDT
New Whose kids were they?
You did fine. Your sister is an idiot. It's the parents' responsibility to control their kids, but if the kids are interfering in your stuff, you have every right to tell them to shove off. Obviously their parents weren't capable of controlling them.

I would have been stern with them the second time they were into things. It shouldn't take more than one indication that they should stay away; that it did reflects on their parents' inability to teach them properly. 10 is way too old to have to be told "stay out of this stuff" more than once, let alone several times.

Had they come back after getting spoken to sternly, the next step would have been to say, "all right, who owns these miscreants, and can you please get them under control?".
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Whose kids were they?
You did fine. Your sister is an idiot. It's the parents' responsibility to control their kids, but if the kids are interfering in your stuff, you have every right to tell them to shove off. Obviously their parents weren't capable of controlling them.

Thanks Scott, that really helps. Their parents probably would have helped me too, but I would have had to leave the kids and all the boxes to search outside for them, since I didn't know whose kids they were. Most of the people were outside listening to my brother and the band.

I would have been stern with them the second time they were into things. It shouldn't take more than one indication that they should stay away; that it did reflects on their parents' inability to teach them properly. 10 is way too old to have to be told "stay out of this stuff" more than once, let alone several times.

Yeah, and the 10 year old was motivating the others. She would tell the younger ones to go grab this or grab that from the boxes or floor as I was trying to pack. I saw and heard her doing it.

Had they come back after getting spoken to sternly, the next step would have been to say, "all right, who owns these miscreants, and can you please get them under control?".

I thought about it, but even shouting outside could barely be heard over the band. And I thought about asking to announce it on their mike between songs but that would have called attention to it and made a scene. So I went for Katie, which was my next best thing and my cousin Trenna, who managed to help. I even thought about going outside and getting 7 people to come in and carry 1 box each to the other side of the big hall, but I would have been asking them to miss the music performance and it wouldn't even have been their kids, most likely.

I think my sister just didn't have all the facts, and she's more on the kids' side, like kids are kids and can not be held responsible, I guess. I was just worried if one of those kids hurt themselves on something in my boxes, that I could be held liable, and I think that is what started me panicking some, because I couldn't possibly move it all fast enough and things had been used so much setting up that I didn't know which boxes had the most dangerous items in them anymore because they weren't all in the ones labelled for what they were.

They all had lids, but they weren't child-proof. ;) Just the regular standard put-together-yourself office storage boxes.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl June 26, 2006, 05:34:13 PM EDT
New Go ahead. Make the scene.
You're not at fault here.

If their kids are making trouble like this, the parents need to know. And knowing that the natural consequence of their behaviour is shaming both kids and parents is one of the best ways to motivate the kids to do something else. Otherwise it is just a game between you and the kids, which the kids will win, and the parents will be blithely unaware.

Literally an announcement like this, A group of kids is currently trying to kill themselves with the office supplies in the next room. We'd strongly appreciate it if their parents or guardians would take responsibility and remove them. Thank you.

I think that would result in significant improvement...

Cheers,
Ben
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
New Agreed.
She wouldn't be the one causing the scene. The kids would be the instigators, and by proxy, their parents.

Although some parents tend to see that sort of thing as the fault of the person their kids are terrorizing. As Drew said, you don't care what that sort of parent thinks of you anyway.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Two changes
One, appeasement never works. I thought you liked reading history, you should know this. Remember Poland? When kids are taking stuff that isn't theirs, you don't solve it by giving them some. They'll just keep taking more, expecting you to keep giving in one inch at a time.

Two, don't be so shy about hollering for parents. Yes, hollering. Naively assume (yes, you're pretending) that if the parents saw what their kids were doing they'd come in and stop it. Some of them will think you are causing a scene and not their precious chillens. Those are the stupid, bad parents. Feel free to not care what they think, as long as they get the kids out of your hair.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Re: Two changes
One, appeasement never works. I thought you liked reading history, you should know this. Remember Poland? When kids are taking stuff that isn't theirs, you don't solve it by giving them some. They'll just keep taking more, expecting you to keep giving in one inch at a time.

Odd, if appeasement never works, why do I see so many parents trying it? The original 11 flair pens were already out on my table in a cup, with a few sticky notes there, as people were using them for their name tags. It's just that the 10 year old girl had been there Friday night and seen all the other markers, colored papers and various things we used to set up and decorate, and she knew they existed. So she was searching for the rest.

Two, don't be so shy about hollering for parents. Yes, hollering. Naively assume (yes, you're pretending) that if the parents saw what their kids were doing they'd come in and stop it. Some of them will think you are causing a scene and not their precious chillens. Those are the stupid, bad parents. Feel free to not care what they think, as long as they get the kids out of your hair.

Well I would have had to outshout the band outside, and the people were scattered all along a long driveway to the church maybe 12 cars long, listening to them. But in hindsight, maybe I could have grabbed another cousin inside with us and asked them to go locate the parents. It's just that most were busy, one was mopping the floor, two were doing dishes and packing up food, etc. etc.

So instead of having done something like that, I sort of kicked myself for leaving it all unattended and going out to listen to the band earlier. But everyone else had their own boxes and they didn't bother theirs, just mine. Go figure. ;) And I couldn't have put it all back in the car because we needed things here and there during the whole reunion.

Brenda

New Because
Odd, if appeasement never works, why do I see so many parents trying it?
That would be the stupid, bad parents I mentioned.

It's just that most were busy, one was mopping the floor, two were doing dishes and packing up food, etc. etc.
So only you have to deal with out-of-control kids? Only you have to care that some of them may get hurt playing with scissors and X-acto knives? If the boxes weren't yours, you wouldn't have tried to keep the kids out of them?

When parents let their children run wild at family functions, counting on relatives to keep them out of trouble, those parents are letting and expecting you to act as a parent in their place. Which is supposed to mean they back you up when you do. Anyone (your sister) who wants to excuse kids' behavior as "just being kids" should also expect the parents to keep a closer eye on them.

You don't dump your kids off on people who didn't ask for the responsibility and then criticise them for taking that responsibility seriously.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
New How nice are you?
I'd have taken every single item the kids had touched, returned it to the boxes..and told the kids (in a VERY LOUD VOICE) that those boxes are not theirs to play with, the items in them are not toys...and if they didn't get out of the room and go back to the party...things would get ugly REALLY QUICKLY!!!

Of course...all the kids think I'm mean...and quite frankly that suits my purposes well.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: How nice are you?
I'd have taken every single item the kids had touched, returned it to the boxes..and told the kids (in a VERY LOUD VOICE) that those boxes are not theirs to play with, the items in them are not toys...and if they didn't get out of the room and go back to the party...things would get ugly REALLY QUICKLY!!!

I did that with all the sharpies, and other pens once I discovered what they were up to. I never knew where the multiple post-it's went till after the escapades. John later told me the boys had been writing "kick me" on them and sticking them on the girls, and the girls were writing bad things about boys in retaliation and sticking them in the ladies bathroom. Those were all discovered later. Problem was, I would grab the sharpies and then the 10 year old would try to grab something else, etc. I eventually won and only lost one sharpie pen in the process, no clue where it wound up.

When I did yell, that was what got Katie and Trenna running over there to remove the children. Part of me wished I had yelled the first time, but mom and my sister used to think I was mean to children. I don't mean to be mean, I just lose my patience quickly, and they only seem to ever listen to me when I yell.

I remember once I had to help mom in Sunday school, and there were about 7 children there. Mom asked me to watch them while going into another room. They began to race around the table. I started grabbing children, one at a time and plopped them into their chairs and ordered them in a loud voice to stay there. They were scared to death and didn't move. Mom returned and wondered what on earth I had done to them, and I said, all I had done was put them back in their chairs.

I've tried to cope with children better due to being around a lot more family in the last three years, and I do better, but I still don't handle multiple kids at once in misbehaving situations.

Of course...all the kids think I'm mean...and quite frankly that suits my purposes well.

It used to suit mine, and it still seems to be the only thing that works. But you can't even spank or discipline children anymore nowadays without risking problems, something about you aren't allowed to spank or discipline other people's children. I remember that has all changed, and even teachers can't spank them nowadays.

But believe me, I wanted to grab each child and put them outside the door nearby, (where everyone else was), just like Wilma puts Fred outside in the cartoon. ;) I just restrained myself.

Brenda

Expand Edited by Nightowl June 26, 2006, 06:22:04 PM EDT
New OTOH
I'm really nice - and when I yell kids are shocked - and usually do as I say..

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New I am generally nice too...
...but relatively strict...so thats the mean part.

When I yell the kids are shocked too...but that is a simple matter of VOLUME...as you know my voice projects well and is loud when I'm at a whisper.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Ain't radio voices grand?
Mine isn't typically in projective mode, although I can modulate it to introduce the genetic legacy I received from my dad (who was in radio for years). People who know me are generally very surprised at the Voice I can produce if they haven't heard it before.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Whenever the neighborhood kids aren't paying attention ...
... Jenn asks me to use "the Marine voice". I still don't think there's anything to it, but she seems to believe in it.
===

New You did fine. I don't know about John though... :-(
John came and pointed out that there were 6 children all in my stuff (boxes lined up under the table near where I manned the guest book and name tags, etc.).

[...]

I returned to my other job and John pointed out it wasn't working, and I went back with his help and tried to get them out again, of my boxes.

[...]

I got John to start grabbing boxes and pointed to the far corner of the room (far away from the children) where mom was packing her stuff and we started ferrying it all the way down there to pack.

[...]

John later told me the boys had been writing "kick me" on them and sticking them on the girls, and the girls were writing bad things about boys in retaliation and sticking them in the ladies bathroom.

Is John always this passive? Does he always sit back and wait for you to solve problems or wait to take direction from you? Does he always show this little initiative in helping you? If so, you have my sympathy.

:-(

You did fine. Take Drew's, and the others, excellent suggestions under advisement.

Good luck.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'll see if I can explain this
Is John always this passive? Does he always sit back and wait for you to solve problems or wait to take direction from you? Does he always show this little initiative in helping you? If so, you have my sympathy.

No, John isn't always this passive. First, he thought maybe I had given them the pens and post-its to play with, because he didn't see them getting into the boxes at any point. (They were being furtive about it, it isn't like they had the boxes pulled out from under the table and were pawing around in them). I only learned this today though, that he never saw them actually in the boxes, I asked him at dinner tonight).

Then after I confiscated some of the pens and etc, and gave them only a few, he watched what they did with them, which was when they were writing the notes and sticking them on one another and in the bathroom. I guess he didn't think that was all that bad to stop, I don't know. He said it was more like teasing than fighting at that point. The other thing was they had discovered the accordion post-its and were making long snakes and jumpropes out of them. But that again, was before he knew I hadn't given them some to play with, which was why he asked me at first, if I had given them to the kids.

Then after Katie stopped them once and I yelled at them the last time, I had John stand guard between me and the kids while I threw things into the boxes in a haphazard manner, before ferrying them across the room. But by that point, Trenna had heard me, (and she has 4 kids of her own, but they are older ones), and she came over and instantly "took charge" of the situation, by grabbing all the scribbled on sticky-notes up in rapid fire motion, and herding the children outside and away from the table. She then handed me all the pens and what sticky notes had survived the escapade, and that was it. I just was so stressed I still moved away from the area to the far corner where I could concentrate on packing it all up properly, because I knew it wouldn't all fit in the car like it was.

I think both John and I were very hesitant because they weren't our kids, and my dad's family can be very weird about things, you never know what will set them off sometimes. However, he told me had he seen them IN the boxes, (something he never actually saw, he just saw more and more sticky notes appearing on the table and knew they had to be coming from out of the boxes) he might have stopped them himself. And he said if he had seen that they had anything dangerous, like knives or scissors, he would have most definitely intervened in that situation.

Remember, things were already dicey at this reunion due to family tension between the committee and I, so we were treading carefully, so to speak. But I admired my cousin Trenna, and the way she just grabbed everything away from them and stuck them outside. I wish I could have done that, but if I had, I would have most likely gotten in trouble. They were more towards her immediate family, so she probably had no worries. Plus Trenna doesn't really care what people think, she does what she thinks is best and tough luck if you don't like it. :) She's my favorite cousin, always was, and believe it or not, she won the collage that I made for the reunion. :)

Hope that explains things. John is a lot more assertive with other situations, we were just both very cautious with this one.

You did fine. Take Drew's, and the others, excellent suggestions under advisement.

Thanks, that does help. And next year I won't BE on the committee, (if I even attend) and I won't have stuff they can get into of that nature. But this is one reason I avoid the larger child-oriented events like birthday parties in my dad's family. :) Still it can't hurt to learn some strategies in future.

I'm proud of one strategy I used Saturday morning, though. The 10 year old and another child had been allowed to play with a few of my beanie bears on Friday night, with my permission. I was concerned they would want them again on Saturday, but by Saturday the bears were tied to duct tape and fastened down on the tables. So when they asked about playing with the bears, I explained to them that the bears were not allowed to play today, that they had a important job to do which was be decorations for the reunion, and were on the clock, sort of like when daddies or mommies went to work part of the day. Believe it or not, that actually worked. ;)

Brenda

Expand Edited by Nightowl June 26, 2006, 10:31:40 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl June 27, 2006, 01:46:32 AM EDT
New Sounds like Trenna was being reasonable
Maybe it's the experience with four kids, but "taking charge of the situation" is exactly what an adult had to do. Kids are pack animals, like dogs. Someone has to be in charge, and if you don't make it clear that it's you one of them will take that position.
===

New Yep, she was taking charge
Maybe it's the experience with four kids, but "taking charge of the situation" is exactly what an adult had to do. Kids are pack animals, like dogs. Someone has to be in charge, and if you don't make it clear that it's you one of them will take that position.

I'm sure it was the experience with four of her own kids, plus she helped raise her sister's kids when they all lived at home in St. Louis.

Me, I stand there and try to take charge and it's like I'm either invisible, or I'm the game master and it's time to play the games. Kids do not listen to me, not ever, unless I yell, (like Beep said).

Brenda

New Thanks for your input :)
I'm feeling better about how I handled the situation, even if my sister doesn't get it.

I had hoped to hear from some mom's also in here, but I appreciate all the father's points of view equally as much. I'm just curious whether Laura or Amy would agree with how I handled it, I guess.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses, and I'm going to do my best to not care what my sister thinks. :)

Brenda

New I guess the mommies don't want to comment. ;)
That's ok, I'm feeling a lot better about the situation today because Katie called me and was very proud of me with how I handled the kids both Friday night and Saturday at the reunion. She told me I had done my best, and that two of them were the most troublesome children in the clan.

So I'm finally no longer feeling like I was a complete failure at trying to contain the situation. I learned a lot from your suggestions, and from watching Trenna, and in future, I think I'll have a better handle on things if something like this happens again.

Thanks!

Brenda

New You did good :)
The fellers have pretty much summed everything up. Good for you, Brenda!

And congrats for not having to put up with that crap next year :)
Smile,
Amy

[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Amy%20Rathman|Pics of the Family]
New Thanks, Amy!
And yeah, I'm still trying to take in in the fact that I'm free at last. It will be someone else's turn next year! ;)

Course I'm also still recovering from the stress, strain and sheer exhaustion of the whole weekend... but soon I'll celebrate!

Brenda

New This Mommy's head is in too much of a fog to offer
any kind of comment. I can barely rope in my own kids right now!
Sometimes.
When a man is alone in his room...
he wears stretchy pants.
It's for fun.
New No problem Laura
I'm feeling a lot better about the situation since Katie also said I did the best I could under the circumstances.

Are you taking the kids to the Beepbash?

Brenda

New Heck No!
I'm not taking the kids with me. They're the reason I need to get away in the first place! I need a break from being a Mommy. Grandma will be watching them and she has all kinds of fun and games planned for the kids.
Sometimes.
he wears stretchy pants.
It's for fun.
New Taking kids would be like taking wife to stag party
Not from personal experience, but from posted comments about previous BeepBash

One of these times I will be able to attend.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Kinda.
I brought mine last year, and they had a good time. Granted, my ability to do things on the spur of the moment was affected, but it was still fun.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New But you didn't stay with them the whole time
The party would have been very different if you had to.

Cheers,
Ben
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
New Er, right...
In which case, it would have been more like taking a wife to a stag party, but I didn't, so it wasn't, which was pretty much my point.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New And my point was that...
your experience notwithstanding, jbrabeck is right about what it would be like for bionerd to show up by herself with kids in tow.

Cheers,
Ben
New I don't think he was just talking about responsibility...
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I didn't think so
I just wanted to know because you sounded like you really could use a break. So I'm glad you're going to get one.

I'm still trying to clean up from the reunion (unpack boxes, put stuff back in place, etc.), but when I get done I get my well deserved break too!

Brenda

New In case you have to deal with these folks again -
Here's a ref from [link|http://www.thebowencenter.org/pages/theory.html| Salon], linked in connection with another problem involving er, human behavior.

Although it's couched in the pseudo-exact terminology that is popular in every wannabe-'science' - if you can get through the turgid prose, there are also enough examples, possibly to fathom and apply something of his 'Theory'.

Remember the Principle, from School for Scoundrels (the Alastair Sim version):
He who is not One-Up is ... One-Down. [link|http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008IARP/202-2371241-6598255| Review]. See, folks knew this stuff - way back in 1960 even.

Since much of the behavior of persons you've described is very much about desperately Staying One-Up, perhaps a combo of the Theory + (almost Anything with Alistair Sim) can bring you up to speed, re one of the more popular and annoying pastimes of the unimaginitive masses.

Luck,
moi

New I beg your pardon? (new thread)
Created as new thread #260361 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=260361|I beg your pardon?]
Sometimes.
he wears stretchy pants.
It's for fun.
New I beg your pardon? (new thread)
Created as new thread #260363 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=260363|I beg your pardon?]
Sometimes.
he wears stretchy pants.
It's for fun.
New Thanks, Ashton!
I'll have to deal with them again on smaller scales, (not with supplies and boxes of stuff to guard), at other family functions, so I appreciate it.

I glanced through the article you linked to, and it looks fascinating. I bookmarked it to read better later, as mom is on her way here. She's coming over expecting me to start recreating Alaska for her VBS classroom. ;)

Brenda

New you did okay, but after the first nice try, sharing etc
the second time you had to go over there in sotto voice "you little shits get out here now, the next time I see you stealing my stuff I will take extreme measures and your parents wont be able to save you" when a parent comes howling in, you say here is your extreme measure, keep your kids from stealing my stuff. This is usually embarrassing enough that the kids will get hauled off for a beating.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Yeah, a more aggressive approach was needed
I'd like to try Trenna's method sometime, that looked very effective. Of course it may only work for her, but it can't hurt to try it if I ever wind up in the same sort of situation. :)

Brenda

(I've always admired my cousin Trenna, she used to keep bullies from beating me up in high school!) ;)

Question for moms or dads please? - (Nightowl) - (37)
         Whose kids were they? - (admin) - (3)
             Re: Whose kids were they? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Go ahead. Make the scene. - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Agreed. - (admin)
         Two changes - (drewk) - (2)
             Re: Two changes - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Because - (drewk)
         How nice are you? - (bepatient) - (5)
             Re: How nice are you? - (Nightowl)
             OTOH - (imric) - (3)
                 I am generally nice too... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Ain't radio voices grand? - (admin) - (1)
                         Whenever the neighborhood kids aren't paying attention ... - (drewk)
         You did fine. I don't know about John though... :-( - (Another Scott) - (3)
             I'll see if I can explain this - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Sounds like Trenna was being reasonable - (drewk) - (1)
                     Yep, she was taking charge - (Nightowl)
         Thanks for your input :) - (Nightowl) - (17)
             I guess the mommies don't want to comment. ;) - (Nightowl) - (12)
                 You did good :) - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     Thanks, Amy! - (Nightowl)
                 This Mommy's head is in too much of a fog to offer - (bionerd) - (9)
                     No problem Laura - (Nightowl) - (8)
                         Heck No! - (bionerd) - (7)
                             Taking kids would be like taking wife to stag party - (jbrabeck) - (5)
                                 Kinda. - (admin) - (4)
                                     But you didn't stay with them the whole time - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                         Er, right... - (admin) - (2)
                                             And my point was that... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 I don't think he was just talking about responsibility... -NT - (admin)
                             I didn't think so - (Nightowl)
             In case you have to deal with these folks again - - (Ashton) - (3)
                 I beg your pardon? (new thread) - (bionerd)
                 I beg your pardon? (new thread) - (bionerd)
                 Thanks, Ashton! - (Nightowl)
         you did okay, but after the first nice try, sharing etc - (boxley) - (1)
             Yeah, a more aggressive approach was needed - (Nightowl)

No, not really.
151 ms