IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If he really needed to go
I don't see where this trip was anything but a meager publicity stunt, and considering the risk I don't see why he did it at all.

But if he really thought he needed to go, he should have had it arraigned that it at least looked like al-Maliki had invited him. The way it worked out, the only real thing this trip did is reduce everybodies belief that the Iraqi government is independent or has real power.

Jay
New It doesn't strike me as a big deal.
They had planned a video teleconference meeting. Instead, Bush showed up in person. It was obviously a photo-op for Bush, but I don't think it weakens the Iraqi government in any way. If anything, Bush showing up and making a big deal of continuing support for the government slightly strengthens the US commitment to them. (I.e. It'll be slightly harder for Republicans in Congress to think about demanding a drawdown of US troops there, or to consider reducing funding.) Government supporters in Iraq won't suddenly feel that the prime minister is a puppet based on this single event.

Yes, it highlighted the lack of security there, but people have known security is weak there for a long time. Bush's visit didn't throw back the covers on that problem. (Recall he's not left the compound of the Baghdad airport before on his trips there.)

All in all, I don't see it as a big deal. It's one of those 1-2 days stories that will blow over and won't have any lasting impact a week from now. It's not going to change anyone's opinion about Bush or Iraq.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Bush's secret trip to Iraq - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
         He should have just told everybody - (bepatient) - (6)
             If he really needed to go - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                 It doesn't strike me as a big deal. - (Another Scott)
             Sigh...he should've kept it secret..... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 Kinda like a Jehovah's Witness? - (imqwerky) - (2)
                     But at least the JWs can speak intelligently. -NT - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                         Good comeback! -NT - (imqwerky)
         Parlous Parley Perchance? -NT - (ChrisR)
         Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid - (drewk) - (3)
             Not if you watch Fox or have Rumsfeld as a handler -NT - (admin)
             Not only that... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 It's a bit more complex than that. - (admin)

Consider the job: to build a structure based on live bone and meat that has to perform under extreme forces in one of the most corrosive environments on the planet. Has to look good too.
47 ms