IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You forgot the #1 rule: If you can't find it, grind it! :-D
New You can't really say you drive stick . . .
. . until you can shift both up and down without using the clutch, AND without grinding gears.

Actually you can't grind gears, they're in constant mesh (except 1st in real old boxes, and reverse in any box). The grinding sound you hear is the striking dogs that latch a particular gear to the third motion shaft.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Oh, I dunno about that
My Cavalier with the tiny little 4-banger is doing about 4k rpm at 12mph in 1st. It's doing 1k rpm at 12 in 2nd. I can't do that one in either direction without chirping the tires. Sure, I could practice, if I didn't have to pay for the new tranny when I was done.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Did that years ago.
My Dad made me learn how to. The car I was driving had a clutch. It popped the Clutch Cable through the Firewall.

He wouldn't come get me, let me replace the damn thing (with the part from the parts car I had in the garage), until I didn't need it.

I did so well, in fact, I discovered properly man handling the gear shift would propel the car forward due to the lube resistance against the first gear, without grinding. Finally when the car got upto about 2 MPH the stick would just slide right in. All at Idle engine speed. It only takes about 15 or so seconds, except on a hill. I'd stop the engine, then on light change, start the car in gear.

Same thing with slowing down. I use the hand brake to provide additional drag on the car for slowing quickly... 1-3 clicks depending.

Its all a matter of knowing the tricks to do it properly.

It also helped I worked in a Semi-Tractor and Trailer repair facility and another Logistics firm. Some trucks came in with failed clutch releases, or no brakes or other things that made starting or stopping easy.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New You must have had synchro on 1st.
The synchro rings can provide enough power transmission to get you moving. If you don't have synchro on 1st you have to use 2nd for that. Basically you have to learn just how much pressure you can put on the gear lever before you overcome the spring balls and the striking dogs engage.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Ben started driving today - (broomberg) - (48)
         Gee, I didn't know my driving affected you that much :-P - (ben_tilly)
         My dad had trouble teaching my sister - (SpiceWare) - (7)
             My daughters think they can learn my thinking about it. - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                 Ben spent 3 hours driving yesterday - (broomberg)
             1st? - (broomberg) - (4)
                 not so silly - (SpiceWare)
                 Either way works - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     That is a very smart idea - (imqwerky) - (1)
                         Where I got it from... - (ben_tilly)
         BTDT with Child #1, Child #2 starts driver's ed in June - (imqwerky) - (1)
             Not a good idea, querk! - (jb4)
         If you don't participate, you'll miss some stories to tell. - (a6l6e6x) - (35)
             I'll be learning to drive a manual / stick / standard soon. - (Meerkat) - (34)
                 Couple thing to remember - (broomberg) - (32)
                     You forgot the #1 rule: If you can't find it, grind it! :-D -NT - (imqwerky) - (4)
                         You can't really say you drive stick . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             Oh, I dunno about that - (drewk)
                             Did that years ago. - (folkert) - (1)
                                 You must have had synchro on 1st. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Re: Couple thing to remember - (pwhysall) - (26)
                         It'll all be flat (and quiet!) roads to start with. - (Meerkat) - (3)
                             What's wrong with your BlueBird? -NT - (static) - (2)
                                 Still works, but it's old. Bit bored after 5 years of it. -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                     Ah. - (static)
                         handbrake my arse - (boxley) - (17)
                             Ar. - (admin) - (11)
                                 5 feet slippage? - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                     Never used one. - (admin) - (8)
                                         You can't control the space behind you. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                             No, but I can make my needs known. - (admin) - (6)
                                                 Footbrake in queue = antisocial - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                     You have the oddest ideas sometimes... - (admin) - (1)
                                                         I don't rely on lights to work out whether a car is stopped. - (pwhysall)
                                                     Also, footbrake casuing lights to go on == - (folkert)
                                                     you dont have those brake lites on sunshine - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         You make no sense -NT - (pwhysall)
                                     Wot's a handbrake? - (jbrabeck)
                             Complete crap. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 makes up for the highbeams theyre shining into my dash -NT - (boxley)
                                 Must admit I've never noticed this problem. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                     Do you ever get fog in Sydney? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         A few nights a year, if you're (un)lucky. -NT - (Meerkat)
                         Just don't think TOO smooth. - (admin) - (3)
                             Ar - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Eh? - (Another Scott)
                                 Air brakes are fun too, for the unprepared :-) - (ben_tilly)
                 advice deja vue - (boxley)
         Can totally relate... - (slugbug)

Perhaps someone needs to clarify a few items in the process so we can actually complete the process.
67 ms