IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New win 3.11 was peer to peer networking
that was the difference between win 3.1 and 3.11 and it was aimed at breaking Wordperfect for Windows, (the little blurb this program might cause windows to crash)
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New You're thinking of Win for Warehouses 3.11
Er, Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Windows 3.11 was designed to break OS/2 for Windows, MS's protestations notwithstanding.

[link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q114301|MS KB on Win 3.11].

Cheers,
Scott.
New This is a common mistake.
Most people don't realize that as well as Windows 3.1, and Windows for Workgroups 3.11, there was also Windows for Workgroups 3.1 and Windows 3.11 (without networking). That's four products. Windows for Workgroups 3.1 was extremely rare, but I'm sure I saw it or saw it mentioned somewhere.

Microsoft also did a number of unnecessary Win32s upgrades aimed at beaking OS/2. It became a cycle: IBM made it work, so Microsoft made a minor release that broke OS/2, so IBM found out what they'd broken and released a patch for OS/2, so Microsoft made another minor release, etc. IBM eventually gave up, though it would have fun if they'd kept at it just to show the press how dastardly Microsoft was being.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New WFW 3.11 broke a lot of things
WFW 3.11 was also the first one with the new disk driver that set of the chain of events that eventually lead to the Stac suit. The new disk driver improved speed slightly, but broke every non-MS utility that had to interact with it.

It also marked the opening manuvers of the network stack wars that raged for several years.

As I recall, it was also the one where the disk driver had "Experimental High Performace OS/2 Disk Driver" in it's string constants.

Jay
New WFW 3.1 was add-on software IIRC
It was a driver and software for Windows 3.1 to use that SMB client. They also had a "Wolverine" add on that provided TCP/IP protocol and Winsock for 3.1 and above.

They basically wanted to have something that could hook into an NT 3.1 Server.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
     Cringely on Gates' "Trustworthy Computing" memo. - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Infoworld's Loss: pbs.org's Gain. - (Ashton) - (10)
             Trained? - (wharris2) - (9)
                 MENSA and 'The Logical' - (Ashton)
                 win 3.11 was peer to peer networking - (boxley) - (4)
                     You're thinking of Win for Warehouses 3.11 - (Another Scott)
                     This is a common mistake. - (static) - (2)
                         WFW 3.11 broke a lot of things - (JayMehaffey)
                         WFW 3.1 was add-on software IIRC - (nking)
                 I thought everyone knew ... - (drewk) - (2)
                     Don't forget - (nking) - (1)
                         I didn't know they had one. So that's where it went... -NT - (cforde)

What was that "kneejerk" emoticon again?
63 ms