IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No its not
I am running into a class of younger programmers that only know Java.

Pointers frighten them and are disdained.

I doubt most of them could write a decent string copy in C.

Javazation of the workforce is producing a class of dumbed down programmer than only knows what Sun tell him. Since we can't get enough good programmers, we work to enable the shitty ones.

Its a bit sad, really.
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
Collapse Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:54:34 AM EDT
No its not
I am running into a class of younger programmers that only know Java.

Pointers frighten them and are disdained.

I doubt most of them could write a decent string copy in C.

Javazation of the workforce is producing a class of dumbed down programmer than only knows what Sun tell him. Since we can't get enough good programmers, we work to enable the shitty ones.

Its a bit sad, really.
New OT: Your Pic
You might want to crop it square and squish it down to about 60x60.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Re: OT: Your Pic
Whats a good free tool on Lose200 for that?
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:57:32 AM EDT
New Re: OT: Your Pic
www.gimp.org

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Pointers scare me a bit, too.
And it's not because I don't understand them. It's because I do.

My feelings about Java are very mixed. But the freedom from pointers is an item in the plus column.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Depends on the language
To do anything and everything in C, you had to do it with pointers. OTOH, in a language like Pascal pointers were quite useful and not nearly as awkward.
New See that, Barry R? See? Muahahahaha... :-)
(Thanks, Critter! :-)
New Scare me, too
Mostly because people's careless use of pointers. Or deliberately "sophisticated" use of pointers. One application I had to maintain for a time was *built* on structures (yes, multiple) of pointers to pointers to pointers. Naturally if you get one of those suckers corrupted, you're up the creek unless you're *really* good at debugging, or very lucky. For a number of years now, I've taken up the "free(pointer); pointer = NULL;" metaphor; at least it makes core dumps easier to debug.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New pointers don't scare me
but the misuse of pointers and sloppy code does. Esp when someone gives me the project to work on that someone else messed up.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New One problem
How many C programmers are careful and use pointers properly?

Look at the Microsoft buffer overflow security problems. I am not privy to the code, but I would guess 95% of them are pointer problems.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Pointers don't cause buffer overrun holes.
People cause buffer overrun holes. A lot of them. And they use pointers to do it.

Maybe we should take their pointers away from them. It's a lot more humane than killing all sloppy programmers.

I could be convinced to tolerate pointers and pointer arithmetic, in the interests of efficient code, if only there were some safeguards. But in C and C++, there are no safgeguards. None. They're completely abusable.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New You're arguing for Java
"If programmer's can't use pointer's correctly, lets take them away." So they did. Welcome to Java.

OTOH, the String class in Java is so amazingly lame and underpowered that I find myself missing basic pointer arithmetic everytime I have to do string ops.

The buffer overflow problems that are so famous have nothing to do with pointers and everything to do with the introduction and continued availability of patently unsafe api in the C standard library. strcat, strcpy, the scanf's are all insanely defined.

Just because terrorists use explosives doesn't mean that the miners shouldn't have them.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:57:39 AM EDT
New No
As Larry Wall said:

I do quarrel with logic that says, "Stupid people are associated with X, therefore X is stupid." Stupid people are associated with everything.

The same applies to languages as well. Just because an idea is associated with Java doesn't mean that Java's mistakes are a condemnation of the idea.

The idea of not having pointers because they aren't safe, and instead using only safe constructs is not original to Java. A few random languages that do the same thing include Lisp, Smalltalk, Perl, Python, Haskell, and so on. While has strengths and weaknesses, I strongly prefer the string handling in every one of these languages to what is commonly used in either C or Java.

Cheers,
Ben

PS While problems in the C standard library lead to many buffer overflows, I have seen C programmers produce enough without that assistance for me to think that pointers are a problem in and of themselves.
New You've completely confused me.
Yes, pointers in the wrong hands are a problem.

Yes, the average Java programmer is the wrong hands.

Sadly, programmers capable of writing good C are getting more and more scarce.

Yes, most biz programming doesn't need the level of efficiency of C.

To get slightly more on topic, I'm pretty sick of biz app programming. Its all getting to be like shoveling the stables. Nothing interesting in it at all anymore. I think I need a real programming job. System software or something...

I'm also finding the web to be more and more boring everyday.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:00:41 AM EDT
New Interesting C biz programming...
We've got dozens of TCP connections feeding us bond information at rates such that our database can't keep up with the traffic on a 12-way Sparc box.

We're moving that bit into C code... :-)

Very interesting stuff.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New OT Question
This is an oracle db?

Did you know Oracle keeps saying they are dropping support for C libs and only want to support JDBC client libs going forward? Would this screw you up?

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:02:54 AM EDT
New Didn't know that.
Yes, it would completely fuck us up. Of course, we're still on 8.1.7, and they have the support in 9.X so far, so we're good for at least another year. :-)

I find it hard to believe they'd drop that, though. WAY too much Pro*C stuff out there.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Au contraire!
I find it hard to believe they'd drop that, though. WAY too much Pro*C stuff out there.

I can give one example that is somewhat similar. Informix dropped support for their C-language API libraries in the early or mid 90's. (They had support for embedded SQL, but the people using their application language library were out of luck - except to scramble to convert everything to embedded SQL, another language, or another database.)

Granted, by that time Informix (once a leader in databases) was falling increasingly further behind Oracle, so their decision probably effected far fewer people, and I suppose most of their customers were probably using a 4GL rather than C, but at least one fairly major database player *has* done something like that.

Come to think of it, it is a bit odd that they got rid of an API interface entirely; I know DB2 has one and obviously Oracle still has one - at least for a while. Doing things like that may have been one reason they completely fell apart in the late 90's.
-- Donald Knuth
New Oracle I think is a different situation
Informix was much smaller, and as you say, they didn't survive.

I'd like to see a link (Todd) that references them giving up the C interface.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Taking it to databases
-- Donald Knuth
New There shouldn't be any confusion
I am saying that saying that arguing for a particular design decision that Java happens to have accepted is not an argument for Java any more than it is for any other language that makes the same decision. Furthermore the fact that Java did a bad job with it doesn't mean that it can't be done well.

Finally I would argue that not only doesn't the average bizz application not need the performance of C, but it should not be written in C because most programmers can't be trusted with pointers. (The ones who can be trusted with them tend to be people like Dan Bernstein, whose first order of business is to write a library that protects him, and then writes to that library so he has as few opportunities as possible to f*ck up.)

As for whether someone should have access to that power, well of course. You can't bootstrap yourself up the toolchain without someone, somewhere, creating the safety gear that everyone else uses. And for speed boosts, it should be possible to speed up the 5% of the code which is your bottleneck. But most programmers do not need and should not have access to that level.

About your on topic comments, well of course. Most business programming is not done because it is interesting. It is done because someone needs it done and is willing to pay to see it so. Same goes for janitors, secretaries, and people working cash registers.

And the web didn't become important because it is cool, interesting, and fun. It won because it was lowest denominator to the point where non-technical people could figure it out. As a development environment it sucks. And people who want to put stuff on it, well either they don't want to pay (in which case it is probably stuff that only they care about) or else they want to pay (in which case you still don't care about it). Either way you are unlikely to care much about it.

Such is life. Let me give a different example of the same principle. I love books. I always have, probably always will. But when I walk into a bookstore I know what sections to look in. 90% of the shelves for me are an obstacle course between me and the sections I like. Nobody is asking me to help make the books I don't care about be available, so I don't often have cause to lament the situation. But if they did, I would.

Cheers,
Ben
New What Ben said.
I'm not so much arguing for Java as arguing against C.

I've got some more concrete ideas of what I'm actually for, but we're already way off topic here. Maybe in another forum...

The danger of overspecialization. - (marlowe) - (34)
         Been awhile... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Go with the flow - (nking)
         speaking of smalltalk has anyone heard from fearless lately? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Yep. - (Steve Lowe)
         The flip side of the coin, however.. - (tjsinclair) - (4)
             Tailored resumes. - (marlowe) - (3)
                 Absolutely - (tjsinclair)
                 It is a lot of work. - (static) - (1)
                     That's the reason I've never done it...lazy, I guess -NT - (tjsinclair)
         Similar problem. - (static) - (24)
             C is kind of presumed. - (marlowe) - (23)
                 No its not - (tuberculosis) - (21)
                     OT: Your Pic - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Re: OT: Your Pic - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Re: OT: Your Pic - (pwhysall)
                     Pointers scare me a bit, too. - (marlowe) - (17)
                         Depends on the language - (ChrisR) - (1)
                             See that, Barry R? See? Muahahahaha... :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                         Scare me, too - (wharris2) - (14)
                             pointers don't scare me - (nking) - (13)
                                 One problem - (wharris2)
                                 Pointers don't cause buffer overrun holes. - (marlowe) - (11)
                                     You're arguing for Java - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                                         No - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                             You've completely confused me. - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                                 Interesting C biz programming... - (admin) - (5)
                                                     OT Question - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                         Didn't know that. - (admin) - (3)
                                                             Au contraire! - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                 Oracle I think is a different situation - (admin) - (1)
                                                                     Taking it to databases -NT - (wharris2)
                                                 There shouldn't be any confusion - (ben_tilly)
                                         What Ben said. - (marlowe)
                 Mmm. I dunno. - (static)

You can put makeup on a pig. It's still a pig.
95 ms