IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OT Question
This is an oracle db?

Did you know Oracle keeps saying they are dropping support for C libs and only want to support JDBC client libs going forward? Would this screw you up?

The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
Collapse Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:02:54 AM EDT
OT Question
This is an oracle db?

Did you know Oracle keeps saying they are dropping support for C libs and only want to support JDBC client libs going forward? Would this screw you up?

The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
New Didn't know that.
Yes, it would completely fuck us up. Of course, we're still on 8.1.7, and they have the support in 9.X so far, so we're good for at least another year. :-)

I find it hard to believe they'd drop that, though. WAY too much Pro*C stuff out there.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Au contraire!
I find it hard to believe they'd drop that, though. WAY too much Pro*C stuff out there.

I can give one example that is somewhat similar. Informix dropped support for their C-language API libraries in the early or mid 90's. (They had support for embedded SQL, but the people using their application language library were out of luck - except to scramble to convert everything to embedded SQL, another language, or another database.)

Granted, by that time Informix (once a leader in databases) was falling increasingly further behind Oracle, so their decision probably effected far fewer people, and I suppose most of their customers were probably using a 4GL rather than C, but at least one fairly major database player *has* done something like that.

Come to think of it, it is a bit odd that they got rid of an API interface entirely; I know DB2 has one and obviously Oracle still has one - at least for a while. Doing things like that may have been one reason they completely fell apart in the late 90's.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Oracle I think is a different situation
Informix was much smaller, and as you say, they didn't survive.

I'd like to see a link (Todd) that references them giving up the C interface.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Taking it to databases
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     The danger of overspecialization. - (marlowe) - (34)
         Been awhile... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Go with the flow - (nking)
         speaking of smalltalk has anyone heard from fearless lately? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Yep. - (Steve Lowe)
         The flip side of the coin, however.. - (tjsinclair) - (4)
             Tailored resumes. - (marlowe) - (3)
                 Absolutely - (tjsinclair)
                 It is a lot of work. - (static) - (1)
                     That's the reason I've never done it...lazy, I guess -NT - (tjsinclair)
         Similar problem. - (static) - (24)
             C is kind of presumed. - (marlowe) - (23)
                 No its not - (tuberculosis) - (21)
                     OT: Your Pic - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Re: OT: Your Pic - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Re: OT: Your Pic - (pwhysall)
                     Pointers scare me a bit, too. - (marlowe) - (17)
                         Depends on the language - (ChrisR) - (1)
                             See that, Barry R? See? Muahahahaha... :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                         Scare me, too - (wharris2) - (14)
                             pointers don't scare me - (nking) - (13)
                                 One problem - (wharris2)
                                 Pointers don't cause buffer overrun holes. - (marlowe) - (11)
                                     You're arguing for Java - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                                         No - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                             You've completely confused me. - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                                 Interesting C biz programming... - (admin) - (5)
                                                     OT Question - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                         Didn't know that. - (admin) - (3)
                                                             Au contraire! - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                 Oracle I think is a different situation - (admin) - (1)
                                                                     Taking it to databases -NT - (wharris2)
                                                 There shouldn't be any confusion - (ben_tilly)
                                         What Ben said. - (marlowe)
                 Mmm. I dunno. - (static)

Hard to keep track of who to shun.
199 ms