IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Iran perhaps more dangerous than Soviet Union
The USSR had several thousand nuclear warheads and the ability to deliver these to every US population center of any note within about 35 minutes (there was, of course, a reciprocal arrangement in place).
General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, we are rapidly approaching a moment of truth both for ourselves as human beings and for the life of our nation. Now, truth is not always a pleasant thing. But it is necessary now to make a choice, to choose between two admittedly regrettable, but nevertheless distinguishable, postwar environments: one where you got twenty million people killed, and the other where you got a hundred and fifty million people killed.

President Merkin Muffley: You're talking about mass murder, General, not war!

General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.
Iran has, at present, no warheads and no reliable means to deliver the said nonexistent warheads to these shores. Iran will never have an arsenal comparable to that possessed by the late USSR, or even the smaller arsenal maintained by the USSR's successor state.

It may be that the chance of one US urban center being incinerated by means of an intercontinental ballistic cargo container has increased these latter years, but had the Cold War gone hot we would have lost all of them.

That said, it's a shame we didn't reach some rapprochement with the Sovs a couple of generations ago. Had we done so, we and they could have carved up the Third World and its delicious resources like the Christmas roast instead of letting these midget despots play us one against the other for lavish subsidies year after year.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Machiavelli would be proud
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Iran perhaps more dangerous than Soviet Union - (tablizer) - (40)
         Economics - (systems) - (36)
             Deving into Religion.... - (Simon_Jester)
             It all makes sense now - (broomberg)
             Scripts - (admin)
             Piling on...(a little bit, anyway) - (jb4) - (3)
                 Immodest dress is an issue for many Christian religions -NT - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                     There is only one Christian religion. - (CRConrad)
                     Immodest dress is an issue for many Christian **sects**... - (jb4)
             Re: Economics - (JayMehaffey)
             Re: Economics - (GBert)
             Re: Economics -- few more points - (systems) - (26)
                 okay...recommend this thread move to religion -NT - (Simon_Jester)
                 Re: Economics -- few more points - (JayMehaffey)
                 I am reminded... - (ben_tilly)
                 I don't doubt your faith, but it's not for me. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                 So Islam rejects polytheist religions (e.g. Hinduism) - (jb4) - (21)
                     Nah. The Muslims and Hindus get along swell in Kashmir. - (ChrisR)
                     The 'remedy' is simple: convert or die. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (19)
                         Of course. The hallmark of all enlightened people is... - (jb4) - (12)
                             jb4 - (systems) - (11)
                                 Must be an Islamic thing... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                     Nah, I do it also. -NT - (broomberg)
                                 You make it all sound so simple. (new thread) - (broomberg)
                                 How do you read Quran 5:10? (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                 So Muslims that want to destroy Israel are sinners? - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                     Re: So Muslims that want to destroy Israel are sinners? - (systems) - (4)
                                         Nice dodge...gambit rejected - (jb4)
                                         Thanks for responding. I well knew it would be difficult... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                             That's because Jews don't proselytize. - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                 And everyone should follow their example! :) - (a6l6e6x)
                                 When something "rings hollow" - (jb4)
                         The irony is it's not supposed to be that way. - (admin) - (5)
                             I guess somebody 'lost' that script.... - (jb4)
                             But we were talking polytheists here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Yep, my bad. -NT - (admin)
                             Define "tolerant" - (broomberg) - (1)
                                 By the standards of the day, that was generous -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Re: Iran perhaps more dangerous than Soviet Union - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Machiavelli would be proud -NT - (drewk)
         Iran may be a bigger threat to nuke somebody - (JayMehaffey)

Impossible.
59 ms