IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Four days in
...and so far it's been largely skittles and beer. The FireWire migration option never worked: the Apple-indicated procedure for starting up in "FireWire Target Disk Mode" did not work as advertised; nor was there a "Startup Disk" option for booting in that mode under 10.2.8, the last iteration that the B&W, with its processor upgrade and its gig of non-spec RAM, can reliably support. I've accordingly strung a lifeline between the two machines' ethernet ports, and have moved data via file-sharing.

I reinstalled Photoshop 7 from the original CD-ROM, purchased as an upgrade, and it demanded the production of the full serial number from a previously-purchased version. This I had, and the installation proceeded without incident. Illustrator 10 was not as cooperative: the "VISE" installation app crashed in three consecutive attempts. At this point I decided to try bypassing this cumbersome procedure, and moved the remaining three Adobe apps (Illustrator, InDesign and GoLive) via mojowire. This being done, I just knew the move couldn't be that painless, so next I went burrowing into the old box to user/Library/Application Support/Adobe and moved the contents of that directory (including the modest and unassuming 4K "Adobe Registration Database" file) over to the corresponding spot on the iMac, and now all the Adobe apps are happy and waiting to be detected by their eventual UB counterparts next year come upgrade time.

Performancewise, I took each of the Adobe apps for a trot around the track—nothing very demanding—and all appeared to perform with alacrity. It may well be that I'd have been drumming my fingers had I migrated from a dual-pump G5, but the other three machines I use apart from the just-supplanted one are a B&W 400MHz running OS 9.2, an early 400MHz running 10.3.9 on 1.25GB RAM, and the faithful G4 PowerBook, Tiger prowling through 784MB on a 1GHz processor. None of these baselines show off the new platform to the latter's disadvantage.

Native apps seem zippy as hell. I'm running on just 1GB of RAM, half the supported max. Shortly after I ordered the second gig, near-simultaneous with the original order, I was advised by the vendor that they were out of stock. When the module next became available a day or two later the price had been ramped up to near-Apple levels (I paid a C-note extra to go from .5 to 1GB; 2GB would have been another $200), so I decided to wait on that. The "iLife" suite are all quite brisk. Safari seems dramatically faster: it got slow and sulky on me just once, but at that point I had about a dozen other applications open, was burning a DVD, had a few widgets lurking, was transferring a large folder of documents over the mojowire from Old Paint and was accordingly relying on Airport rather than ethernet for my internet feed. The former hardware/software configuration would, I suspect, have gone conspicuously tits-up in the face of comparable demands.

The "Front Row" interface (which includes a remote somewhat larger than an iPod Shuffle, smaller than a Nano; adheres magnetically to the lower-right side of the computer) looks interesting, but apart from playing a couple of iPhoto slideshows I haven't spent much time on it.

This might be a good place to mention my first third party UB app, yclept [link|http://www.barebones.com/products/yojimbo/index.shtml|Yojimbo] from BareBones Software, the good folks who gave us BBEdit. Yojimbo is rather like the old Classic DAs "Notepad" and "Scrapbook"—I never understood why their combined functionalities were never made an apparent part of the new OS—on steroids and amphetamines. Just about any kind of information you feel like storing on the fly can go here, either readily available or encrypted. I'm impressed thus far.

So...it's a new computer, and I know how the curve will go. Gradually technology will overtake it; gradually my incremental modifications will fuck it up; over time it will become less and less receptive to OS upgrades; one day the first "System Requirements" screen will appear that explicitly states that "We don't serve your kind here!" All this I know. But, by god, the last time I owned a completely "up-to-date" Mac was almost 22 years ago (and it cost more than this one!), and it feels good to be current again.

UPDATE: I should perhaps mention that the most conspicuous loss of functionality so far noted is the flatbed scanner. I suspect I'll have to uncover the original CD-ROM and start again from there, or go to the Canon website. My first attempt to use the HP printer failed, but I retain a degree of hope.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
Expand Edited by rcareaga Feb. 5, 2006, 04:21:57 PM EST
Expand Edited by rcareaga Feb. 5, 2006, 10:27:16 PM EST
New Glad it's going well! Thanks for the update.
New A similar period in another venue -
While celebrating new berets - and as I am in multi-disciplinary-OS mode too, over past several days - I share your elation/relief when such a mondo migration of material from the pre-Neocon era Just Works, here within and despite the larger scale Tribulations.

(It is Bad for me to possess a copy of Missing Manual AND have a new G-4 next door, wirelessly transmitting proseless death from creekside to that person's rural villa nearby. I think I see a PCM-card wifi in a big plastic hP, ere I see a 6-core G-6 - but then.. truly spiffy things are worth waiting-for.)

So then, re that neighbor who was Ex-Peed upon, finally: odoriferously terminally:

She LOVES her G-4 Powerbook. Wishes Billy maimed.

Actually prefers the 12" version for handy size / her undemanding uses.
-- especially noting the ungainly footprint of the 15" hP Pavilion(s),
the elder of which I may well inherit - giant step Up from my mem-poverished derelict, Tecra 700 maxxed out at 40 MB; can't even run Mozilla. Think NS 4 ;-/

And indeed, she managed to get her drab Linksys router to do what the $200 Airport (-er limousine) base does quite more stylishly. In fact, she's done virtually all of the configuring solo, getting Moz on to compare with Safari, etc. - with the elan of an old pro + the Just Works! cachet of the small jewel. (I love it when people disconnect things whose complete functions they barely comprehend: by labelling wires and Taking Notes. Y'know?)

Next there will be tales of whether the PC emulator delivers her the one important Beastware URL: via 1.5 GB, latest 98SE-Lite, and-NOT-XP thankyouverymuch.

Hmmm - an OSX emulator for the hP notebook?
One potatoe at a time.

Glad you ran into no blank walls at 3 AM,

moi

(who finds that immersion in this peculiarly unforgiving, punctilious game - goes better - taken asif one is doing the Sat. NYTimes crossword, with a little local St Francis '96 Merlot ... and breaks ... with cat sitting on lap.)

New Slightly OT
My sister bought her husband a 12" G4 Powerbook yesterday - she was tired of never getting to use her 20" G5 iMac.

That makes 7 berets in the clan now, with my mom being the only one without.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
     Four days in - (rcareaga) - (3)
         Glad it's going well! Thanks for the update. -NT - (Another Scott)
         A similar period in another venue - - (Ashton) - (1)
             Slightly OT - (Steve Lowe)

Tryggvi and I are both trained chemists, and he actually knows what he's doing.
213 ms