IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mahammad cartoon?
I couldn't find the lightning-rod cartoon of Mahammad wearing a "bomb turbin". Appearently it sparked wide protests. Got links anyone?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Thanks

The [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons|Wikipedia] has a decent article on the incident and resulting controversy.

I've seen many stories point to the traditional prohibition against images of the prophet, but I wonder if there would be any news about it if the Danish paper had published an image like [link|http://www.angelfire.com/al4/ahlulbait/|this] instead...

Cheers,
Scott.
New odd, thats a universally recognised prohibition
wonder if it has an alternative purpose?
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Waiting for artistic version with the koran emersed...
...in pickle jar full of urine.
New Been there, done that. :-(
[link|http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stern.de%2Fpolitik%2Fausland%2F%3AKoransch%25E4ndungen-Urin%2C-Tritte-Schimpfw%25F6rter%2F541287.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&c2coff=1&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools|Google Translation of Der Stern]:

The pentagon granted and details called five cases of "inadequate handling" for the first time with the Koran. In addition, according to the US Ministry of Defense are Muslims themselves the writing to have violated.

The US Ministry of Defense confirmed several cases of Koranschaendungen in the US camp Guantanamo on Cuba. Thus the urine of a custodian on a Koran, a soldier splashed stepped against a Koran, and into a cover of a Korans an English insult word consisting of two words was written. These are some the results of the determinations of Brigadier General Jay Hood, the commander of Guantanamo, which presented to these in Washington.

Good not is it the defile Koran to.

Cheers,
Scott.
New C'mon...Not even MM is that bad....
A more Germanic literal translation might be:

"It is not good in order the Koran to defile."
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
Expand Edited by jb4 Feb. 4, 2006, 01:17:10 PM EST
New Waiting for the Musical, and then the Hip-Hop version
In any case, there is a hint of the absurd in this story, the way continents of people get swept up in reaction to some simple pictures. But this episode seems like a model for what I imagine we'll be living with for the rest of our lives. There's something peculiarly 21st century about this conflict -- both in the way that it's rooted in the world of media and also in the way that it shows these two societies or cultures ... well, all I can think of to use is the clunky 21st centuryism -- they can't interface. The gap is too large. The language is too different. One's coming in at 30 degree angle, the other at 90.

[snip]

A number of readers have written in this evening and explained that the source of Muslim outrage is not that Muslims are being stereotyped as violent. It is that there is a specific and deeply-held taboo in Islam against graphical portrayals of Mohammed. You're not supposed to draw pictures of Mohammed, to put it quite simply. And you're especially not supposed to draw pictures that are insulting of the religion or portray him in sacrilegious ways...In isolation, in the abstract, it's certainly a taboo I'd want to respect, or at least not needlessly offend.

But all of that is beside the point. An open society, a secular society can't exist if mob violence is the cost of giving offense. And that does seem like what's on offer here. That's the crux of this issue -- that the response is threatened violence and more practical demands that such outrages must end. It's back to the fatwa against Salman Rushdie and the Satanic Verses...if on a less literary and more amorphous level.

The price of blasphemy is death. And among many in the Muslim world it is not sufficient that those rules apply in their countries. They should apply everywhere. Perhaps something so drastic isn't called for -- at least in the calmer moments or settled counsels. But at least European governments are supposed to clamp down on their presses to heal the breach.

In a sense how can such claims respect borders? The media, travel and electronic interconnections of the world make borders close to meaningless.

[snip]

I don't want to imply this is only a Muslims versus modernity issue. I know not all Muslims embrace these views. More to the point, it's not only Muslims who do. You see it among the haredim in Israel. And I see it with an increasing frequency here in the US. Is it just me or does it seem that more and more often there are public controversies in which 'blasphemy' is considered some sort of legitimate cause of action -- as if 'blasphemy' can actually have any civic meaning in a society like ours.
When we contemplate the riled-up wogs getting their knickers in a twist over the representatioin of their Holy Prophet (just another sun-addled crank from the same desert that has inflicted so many damaging "prophets" upon humanity), we would do well to remember the Merkins who screeched and gestured at the release of The Last Temptation of Christ and who dearly crave an amendment making flag-burning illegal.

cordially,

[edit:typo]
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
Expand Edited by rcareaga Feb. 5, 2006, 05:58:13 PM EST
New ell dont forget our own (thankfully) small sects of
imaginarianists that feel not enveloping the notion of Jesus Uber Alles should be immediately cause death by singing hyms, bodily mayhem and steel toed boots. Maybe somwhat of an exageration but small child 8yo went to church with friend, when she asked to repeat the experience I noted my long standing policy of " I will take you there next time" this elicited strange resistance, since the purpose of goat ropers is goat roping I find it even more interesting, will report back after we have the "under whose authority do you speak?" followd by the the "there is only one G_d and I am his Prophet" conversation.
OT Rand I hope your seemingly infrequent additions to this board are caused by something other than ennue, you add a touch of sanity that otherwise is shrouded by us orcs and ents.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New ++ on the OT.
Remember, he's a newlywed. And he just got a new baby, so he has more important fish to fry. :-)

But like you, I really enjoy his contributions here.

Cheers,
Scott.
New thanks both
December through March is typically Silly Season at work, and I'm seeing a spike in the workload unusual even by SS standards, and my pro bono group, another timesink, is stirring from its year-end slumbers. Add to this the enumerated distractions and what looks to be a nasty workplace political fight developing up the food chain from me the principals of which have each been tempted to use my little shop as a projectile or a club (when elephants contend, pygmies must dance deftly)...it's tough to settle down and compose here with anything like the sustained attention and craft the venue deserves (as you might guess from the uneasy concatenation of metaphors just concluded): hence the recent drive-by pastes, shades of whatsisbot. I'll try to do better anon.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Dude...
..I'd take your "drive by pastes" over most people's fully composed posts any time

(And that includes mine sometimes, but you didn't hear me say that....)
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
     Mahammad cartoon? - (tablizer) - (13)
         Here. - (imric) - (1)
             Thanks -NT - (tablizer)
         Here are all of them. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             odd, thats a universally recognised prohibition - (boxley)
         Waiting for artistic version with the koran emersed... - (ChrisR) - (3)
             Been there, done that. :-( - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 C'mon...Not even MM is that bad.... - (jb4)
             Waiting for the Musical, and then the Hip-Hop version -NT - (tablizer)
         Josh Marshall on Loony Toons - (rcareaga) - (4)
             ell dont forget our own (thankfully) small sects of - (boxley) - (3)
                 ++ on the OT. - (Another Scott)
                 thanks both - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Dude... - (jb4)

A vacation you’ll talk about for years to come, at AA meetings.
323 ms