IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And how is that not creationism?
If it didn't happen by chance, there's a creator.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New No. Well, sorta.
Liquid water is more random than ice. But there are still patterns to it: currents, tides, etc. And sometimes you get whirlpools. These are -- to modern science -- fairly predictable. A thousand years ago (or 10 thousand, pick whatever number makes you happy) the working of the tides seemed too ordered to not have a cause, but they couldn't discern a cause, so it must be a god doing it.

And that's the real problem with ID. To an ID proponent, anything that "seems too ordered, it didn't happen by chance," is taken as evidence of a design; and by extension, a designer. To a scientist, anything that "seems too ordered, it didn't happen by chance," is taken as a good thesis topic.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New How is a designer not a creator?

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New If the universe designed itself in a fit of recursion
New That's what ID people say, and why I didn't say it
When stating their position, I said design. When I was not stating their position, I said pattern.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Re: No. Well, sorta.
Hey,
Since we're having a wacko pseudo-intellectual Descartes-less rationalist "debate" on water, how does wind work to create the tides? How does thermo dynamics create wind? How does that work without the sun. Where did the sun come from? etc...

;-)

We (as a species) still don't know shit about apriori stuff we can't observe.

Just an observation.

;-)
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Minor difference
Creationism is a "top down" approach. God created the earth and heavens in 7 days.

ID is supposed to be a "bottom up" approach by saying x,y and z are highly complex, yet fairly ordered, there is no rational explanation for that order, so there must be something guiding (a creator).

Different directions to try and explain the same thing.

In the end, they get to the same place. There is a God. At least, according to them.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Same difference
1+1=2, 2=1+1
-----------------------------------------
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New No again
1+1=2

2=X+X. solve for X where X is an integer :-)

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New No again
2 = X + Y

Scientists are supposed to be in the business of understanding Y and categorizing the stuff that fits into there.

Intelligent Design folks are into pre-emptively declaring X to be 1.

Cheers,
Ben

PS There is significance to the variable names I chose. :-)
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Sturgeon?
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New (Could be fun - with chromosomes.)

New If there is significance to the variable names, then
X + Y = 3 (or more)
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New It's fun seeing people guess but...
my thinking was straightforward.

Y = "Why"

X = "Unknown" *

Cheers,
Ben

* One could also say that X stands for "wrong", but that is just biased.
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     If you think being anti-OOP is controversial.... - (tablizer) - (113)
         well that pretty much sinks ID :-) - (boxley) - (100)
             No, it is not a "soft" science - (ben_tilly) - (74)
                 it is a philosophy, noted soft science much like psychology - (boxley) - (73)
                     how about theology. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                         subscience of philosophy -NT - (boxley)
                     No, it isn't. - (pwhysall) - (20)
                         Is sociology a science? -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                             In places, yes. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 In part it is the same methodology - (bepatient)
                         point out differences between the examples - (boxley) - (16)
                             ID starts with a creator. - (pwhysall) - (15)
                                 Not really - (bepatient) - (14)
                                     And how is that not creationism? - (pwhysall) - (13)
                                         No. Well, sorta. - (drewk) - (4)
                                             How is a designer not a creator? -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 If the universe designed itself in a fit of recursion -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                 That's what ID people say, and why I didn't say it - (drewk)
                                             Re: No. Well, sorta. - (danreck)
                                         Minor difference - (bepatient) - (7)
                                             Same difference - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                                 No again - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                     No again - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Sturgeon? -NT - (jake123)
                                                         (Could be fun - with chromosomes.) -NT - (Ashton)
                                                         If there is significance to the variable names, then - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                             It's fun seeing people guess but... - (ben_tilly)
                     I feel that the other examples are not sciences either - (ben_tilly) - (48)
                         Agreed, social science might be a better descriptive - (boxley) - (47)
                             You are right that those are missing... - (ben_tilly) - (46)
                                 Not interested enough to read the literature :-) - (boxley) - (45)
                                     Thats the issue - (bepatient) - (44)
                                         Can ID be experimentally disproven? - (imric) - (43)
                                             disagree - (boxley) - (31)
                                                 Don't think so. - (imric) - (30)
                                                     if you can predict results from the patterns then - (boxley) - (29)
                                                         Nope. That's just genetics. ID is not genetics. - (imric) - (28)
                                                             Q for ID-ers: How I is the D of, say, flightless birds? -NT - (Meerkat) - (27)
                                                                 I always use hemroids. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                 gotta have something easy to catch and consume - (boxley)
                                                                 Intelligent Design is a dead give away... - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                     Don't forget the other moral of the example you are quoting - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                         Or even - - (Ashton)
                                                                 HD - Halfwit Design - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                     ID is supernatural by definition - (pwhysall) - (20)
                                                                         That's just a fortunate side effect. -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                             Not it's not. - (jake123) - (5)
                                                                                 I see I need to expand my Ministry. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                                     I beleive he did, parts stamped made in mexico -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                         That would be where every third guy is named Jesus? - (hnick)
                                                                                         Philistine. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                                                     Damn! You mean Janis Joplin was RIGHT?!? -NT - (jb4)
                                                                         Creator need not be supernatural. May be ultra-tech aliens. -NT - (warmachine) - (11)
                                                                             And they were 'designed' to produce us, of course... -NT - (imric) - (10)
                                                                                 ID makes no assertian of the designer, designed or not. - (warmachine) - (9)
                                                                                     Except it's basic tenet . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                         That's an extrapolation of ID itself, not a basic tenet. - (warmachine)
                                                                                     Here's you task for today, grasshopper: - (jb4) - (6)
                                                                                         You forgot: bring a bodyguard - - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                             What does the Prince of Peace have to do with ID? - (jb4) - (4)
                                                                                                 Nothing at all - we're talking GOD here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                                                                     Heard a lengthy discussion re Yahweh - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                         look it doesnt apply to you gentiles, its a realestate - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                             DPRLCI (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                                                         Nothing wrong with a creator - (hnick)
                                             Post of the Week (and it's only Tuesday...)! - (jb4)
                                             Falsifiable, Trueifiable - (tablizer) - (9)
                                                 Patterns... Pattern institute? - (imric) - (8)
                                                     fairies exist, saw one once - (boxley) - (7)
                                                         heh, knew where that was going -NT - (bepatient)
                                                         So the teacher asks the kid - (hnick)
                                                         They wear boots - ya gotta believe... -NT - (imric) - (3)
                                                             I saw it I saw it with my own two eyes -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                 Well all right now! -NT - (imric)
                                                             And around here they ride Harleys. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                         Me too...I watch Bravo.... -NT - (jb4)
                     What's in a name? - (ChrisR)
             Google 'ontological proof of god' for some pithy links - (Ashton) - (4)
                 see my answer to Ben, -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     Unsatisfying, just word/def'n pandering. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         look, if some mook wants to look at dna - (boxley) - (1)
                             Quite right-enough - (Ashton)
             Sep. of church/state laws don't govern philosophy - (tablizer) - (19)
                 It's FRAUD if you call it science instead of philosophy. -NT - (imric) - (18)
                     then psychology is fraud -NT - (boxley) - (17)
                         This is news? -NT - (ben_tilly)
                         Soft science. - (imric)
                         That would be "Psychology is FREUD" - (imqwerky) - (14)
                             accuse me? - (boxley) - (12)
                                 No, he didn't - (Ashton)
                                 I'm still not getting the connection... - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                     Negative. - (imric) - (8)
                                         OK... - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                             OT branch - (imric) - (5)
                                                 Damn Scientologists - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                     ROFL! -NT - (imric)
                                                     Anyone catch "Last Laugh 2005" over the weekend? - (drewk) - (2)
                                                         Yep. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                             Ronnie, walking around, would scare me too... - (hnick)
                                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                                 Not accusing you. - (imqwerky)
                             More like: Freud (pronounced: "fraud") - (jb4)
         Just saying "I think it's science"... - (pwhysall) - (2)
             ID ain't Physics. It's Meta-Physics. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 \ufffdPrecisam\ufffdnte! - and before you start in that field - (Ashton)
         intelligent design: the agenda - (rcareaga) - (5)
             And around and around.. - (Ashton)
             300 years after the Enlightenment and we still get this. -NT - (warmachine)
             This crap pisses me off - (Silverlock) - (2)
                 religion is an opiate for the sociopaths? probably -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Not just sociopaths, everybody ;0) - (mmoffitt)
         I'm not persuaded. 47 kB .img - (Another Scott)
         God-Man\ufffd explains finally.. how it works - (Ashton) - (1)
             I like the non sequitor version better - (boxley)

The parity bit is a bit that detects an error in itself 1/9th of the time.
240 ms