IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not exactly the first thing...
The first thing Nixon did was to invade Cambodia (no...waiddaminnit, there was no invasion...Cambodia was "incurred"...but I digress).

Then, after he took an immense political beating by the press and anybody to the left of Ghengis Khan, then he decreased troop levels and started a slow process of disengagement.
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Your recollection is wrong
Timetable of troop withdrawals: [link|http://faculty.smu.edu/dsimon/Change%20Course/Change-Vietout.html|http://faculty.smu.e...ange-Vietout.html]

According to [link|http://faculty.smu.edu/dsimon/Change-Viet4.html|http://faculty.smu.e...Change-Viet4.html], his Cambodia invasion was announced on April 30, 1970, at which point 115,500 troops had already been withdrawn (over 20% of the troops that were there when he came into office), and plans had been announced to withdraw another 150,000 troops over the following year.

My comment stands. There is every reason to believe that Nixon fully intended to disengage from the start, and his policies aimed at doing so while achieving his other strategic goals.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     YAN Republican Criminal. - (mmoffitt) - (60)
         Re: YAN Republican Criminal. - (Yendor) - (57)
             Define the set ALL... - (jb4) - (54)
                 what make you think the democrats have changed? Rosti /etc -NT - (boxley) - (53)
                     I don't - (jb4) - (52)
                         The pont isn't which side is worse.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                             delay should proclaim him the best congressman evah! -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Take it with a grain of salt.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                     I guess he doesn't remember his Shakespeare. - (Another Scott)
                                     was refering to gore on whitehouse lawn -NT - (boxley)
                         To me, the problem is how much power is concentrated - (ben_tilly) - (46)
                             Disagree. - (mmoffitt) - (44)
                                 Richard Daley? Dan Rostenkowski? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (43)
                                     Think any of those are as bad as Nixon? McCarthy? - (mmoffitt) - (42)
                                         Than Nixon? Easily. - (ben_tilly) - (41)
                                             Think again. - (mmoffitt) - (40)
                                                 do lynchings count? -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                     I don't remeber Hizzoner doing any lynching, do you? - (jb4) - (4)
                                                         kkk didnt lynch people? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                             I don't remember ever hearing of Hizzoner being KKK... - (jb4) - (2)
                                                                 Boxley is thinking of Robert Byrd, I think -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     Among others, I bet. -NT - (Simon_Jester)
                                                 So you're blaming Vietnam on the Republicans? - (ben_tilly) - (33)
                                                     According to a survey of high school students ... - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Gah -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                     Not exactly the first thing... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                         Your recollection is wrong - (ben_tilly)
                                                     Forgetting Cambodia? - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                         right,jfk wanting to assasinate castro, like shrub vs chavez - (boxley)
                                                         I didn't forget. - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                             Careful, Ben! - (imric) - (1)
                                                                 Don't I know it -NT - (bepatient)
                                                     You living in Orange County by any chance? - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                                                         My thought process - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                                                             Re: My thought process - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                 So words are more important than actions? - (drewk) - (7)
                                                                     That's a key question, isn't it? -NT - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                     "The Play's the thing wherein.." - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                         So you agree: Nixon good, JFK bad? -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                                                                             Only for those who - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                 Damn, was I too transparent? -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                                     well if you insist :-) - (boxley)
                                                                                     Nah, ~par for Nintendo politico quips \ufffd l\ufffd IWE. :-) -NT - (Ashton)
                                                             Mike Mikula cartoon - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                                                 How about Caligula, to get us in? - (Ashton)
                                                             And again, that has nothing to do with what I said. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                                                 Whose view of illegality? - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
                                                                     Justice William Douglas count? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                         Sure he counts - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                             Fortunately, we have a phrase for that now - (drewk)
                                                                             Okay. You changed course and I didn't with you. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                                 And so we degenerate further - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                                     Got a mouse in your pocket? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                         Why do I bother wasting energy on you? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                             I was thinking the same thing. Ironic, isn't it? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             I was thinking he couldn't have done all that since 2001. - (Another Scott)
             Come to New Jersey - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Been there, done that. - (Yendor)
         Scandal Scorecard - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Great links. Gotta share with my fellow Yellow Dogs. -NT - (imqwerky)

No, not really.
71 ms