IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 2.4.16 has it.. dunno
Hope this eases your concerns. EXT3 is STILL slower than ReiserFS when alot of files(10Ks+) are in the same dir. But EXT2 is the same way.

Here is the HELP from a vanilla 2.4.16 source

CONFIG_EXT3_FS:

This is the journaling version of the Second extended file system (often called ext3), the de facto standard Linux file system (method to organize files on a storage device) for hard disks.

The journaling code included in this driver means you do not have to run e2fsck (file system checker) on your file systems after a crash. The journal keeps track of any changes that were being made at the time the system crashed, and can ensure that your file system is consistent without the need for a lengthy check.

Other than adding the journal to the file system, the on-disk format of ext3 is identical to ext2. It is possible to freely switch between using the ext3 driver and the ext2 driver, as long as the file system has been cleanly unmounted, or e2fsck is run on the file system.

To add a journal on an existing ext2 file system or change the behavior of ext3 file systems, you can use the tune2fs utility ("man tune2fs"). To modify attributes of files and directories on ext3 file systems, use chattr ("man chattr"). You need to be using e2fsprogs version 1.20 or later in order to create ext3 journals (available at <[link|http://sourceforge.net/projects/e2fsprogs/|http://sourceforge....s/e2fsprogs/]>).

If you want to compile this file system as a module ( = code which can be inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want), say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt. The module will be called ext3.o. Be aware however that the file system of your root partition (the one containing the directory /) cannot be compiled as a module, and so this may be dangerous.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Jan. 6, 2002, 10:18:41 PM EST
New 2.4.14 Does not have EXT3 in Kernel Tree
I just checked 2.4.12 and 2.4.14... neither have it. Don't have 2.4.13 or 2.4.15, just cause I didna get it at the time they were current.

You should be able to just change them to be EXT2 in /etc/fstab

Laters

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New Re: 2.4.14 Does not have EXT3 in Kernel Tree
> You should be able to just change them to be EXT2 in /etc/fstab

Yup. I did. I always wondered about why people said
it was so important to be able to revert, and then I
stumbled across the need.

Ever play with Mosix?

The auto-load balance does not want to work for me,
I've got an email out, but who knows who is reading it.
     Grub VS LILO - (broomberg) - (12)
         Re: Grub VS LILO - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
             Caldera has used Grub for some time . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Note that "info" is a four-letter word. :) -NT - (wharris2)
         Grub - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Ok, I'm convinced, and Mosix, and 2.4.13, and Ext3 - (broomberg) - (6)
                 ext3 - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     I don't think you understand - (broomberg) - (1)
                         Mosix -- so, what're you doing with it? - (kmself)
                 2.4.16 has it.. dunno - (folkert) - (2)
                     2.4.14 Does not have EXT3 in Kernel Tree - (folkert) - (1)
                         Re: 2.4.14 Does not have EXT3 in Kernel Tree - (broomberg)
         GRand Unified Bootloader!!! - (folkert)

Di people dem a beg di super DJ fi more. Because dem love di way wi play di hardcore.
45 ms