IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New See how much they are willing to offer
2 years is a bad job length. It's too long to be away from the family but not long enough to be worth moving the family unless you intend to stay there.

My plan would be to get the manager(s) there on the phone and tell them up front that your not real excited about the prospect of taking a 2 year contract job in Alaska, but your willing to hear their offer.

Try to get the most of the details pinned down before you fly up to Alaska. They will want you to fly up because if you fly up, mentally you will have already accepted the job and they will just be negotiating over pay. It's much easier to tell them no from your own house in Florida then after they paid your way to a nice hotel in Alaska.

Once you have an idea what they are really offering you will be in a much better posistion to judge. One thing to find out is if they would be willing to pay for you to fly home once a month for a weekend, or every other month for a week or something.

Jay
New Well these folks are long time clients of mine
We have had a working relationship for 10 years. I know the principals well and also about what the job will entail. I will be re-writing a lot of their business procedures. We have spoken about their needs for years. They just now are deciding to bite the bullet to do the work. 2 years is a long time in the Alaskan Job Market. They would bring me on as either a contractor or an employee, thats what we would negotiate.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New Sounds like a good offer
It sounds like you know these people well enough to know that they are serious about the offer, and that they do have 2 (or more) years of work for you to do. That puts a major concern out of the way.

With that out of the way, I think the biggest concern is if you and the family want to move there. That I can't help you with.

Jay
New Besides the offer
it sounds like you have an idea of what they do and what they want you to do. That's a huge advantage.

I've been in several projects where the Other Side really didn't know or understand what we could offer. (we being the company(s) I'm with at the time.) Realistically speaking, Our Side (being software developers, we Knows What We Has to Offer) probably wanted to hammer their business into the mold of Our Holy Software.

And their departments probably wanted No Part of the Superior Business Practices We Were Foisting Upon them. (Needless to say, all this is being conducted at a High Level of Dialog, between Presidents and Presidents and Hell with the Underlings. On Either Side.)

A Victorian Novel Specification (as Yourdon calls it) is Written, specifications which probably has nothing to do with any real ability of software or anything they're doing in the business, and Signed Off Upon.

Er, perhaps I'm thinking too much of a couple of bad experiences in my past. But if nothing else they taught me muchly about how The Mythical Man-Month is so very, very right even after thirty years.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     request peanut gallery from the crew - (boxley) - (16)
         Go for it! - (nking) - (3)
             I used to maintain their programs using PICK - (boxley) - (2)
                 What to do? - (nking) - (1)
                     Well I have 2 houses one in FL and one in AK - (boxley)
         How long do you have to decide? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Will look here in FL because moves are aggravating - (boxley)
         Re: request peanut gallery from the crew - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Well the kids would be around other kids they grew - (boxley)
         See how much they are willing to offer - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
             Well these folks are long time clients of mine - (boxley) - (2)
                 Sounds like a good offer - (JayMehaffey)
                 Besides the offer - (wharris2)
         Alex is right, kids don't decide if you move or not. Also... - (CRConrad) - (1)
             No seriously the full eskimo was frozen, mom - (boxley)
         As I remember... - (Yendor) - (1)
             I have been in Florida for 2yrs 3 months - (boxley)

I choose vodka and Chaka Khan.
45 ms