IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I almost died today.
Going north on I95 in Philly.

Driving my wife's almost new Kia SUV.

Middle lane.

Construction.

Going 40ish.

To my left, the lane is closed with big orange plastic barrels.

I had just passed the close point.

I hear a truck horn behind me.

In my rear view mirror, I see the truck, far back, no threat.

To his left, there a a large white car, driven by an old guy.

I assume the old guy noticed the close point too late, and started
crowding the truck. When there was no place for the truck to go, the
guy decided to floor it, hoping to beat the truck to the lane
close spot.

As I watched, the old guy hit the barrels, flinging them to his left,
and is bearing down on me at probably twice my speed.

I floor it, serphentining left between an opening in the barrels, and
jam on the brakes right before the road ends at a construction barrier.

As I dove to the left, the old guy passed me on the right like I was
standing still. I could see his broken driver side mirror hanging by
a cable.

It took a couple of minutes for the adrenaline to die down before I
could continue.

If the accident didn't kill me, Barb would for totalling her car.
Expand Edited by broomberg Sept. 15, 2005, 06:56:16 PM EDT
New Whew! Goes with the roller coaster ride I guess. :-)
New Congrats to little grey-cells
Had you braked initially - coulda taken out All Three of you. Efficient, that.. but -

(And a decent reminder why I prefer driving a [whatever] with enough power that acceleration is usually an option.. even if not.. motorcycle-grade Acceleration.)

ie damn good Listening to that 'ol Instinctive brain == exactly why it's the fastest brain in the jelloware!.

Honorary Juan Manuel Fangio Award du jour.

New Wow!
I'm glad you're okay, Barry!

Brenda

"Excel is to math what a Microwave Oven is to cooking!"
New That was a close one!
I'm glad you get to talk about it.
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New I would have missed annoying you ;-)
I'm glad you survived. That is scary as shit!

Love ya, ya big lug ;-)

Amy

Pray for the survivors of Bush.
New Such drivers need their license and vehicle removed.
Glad your quick thinking and skills managed to save you. I don't know what I would have done in that circumstance.

Wade.
d-_-b
Expand Edited by static Sept. 15, 2005, 11:12:16 PM EDT
New Pure instinct
No other choice in that situation, too much info to process to make a real "decision".
New Sort of like...
The pilots in Vietnam, crashing into the hard deck during a fire-fight/dog-fight.

Even with all the bells and whistles and bleeps and info screens going off... information over load. Those that survived said they never even heard the warning to pull up, matter of fact most of the ones that didn't deploy chaff or flares properly also had information overload.

Too much info in such a short time-span == excess information taken in dumped to /dev/null. No real decision on which stuff gets dropped, including stuff that has higher priority than anything else.

Kind of reminds me of the Sponge-Bob Square-Pants episode when SBSP clear his entire mind of all info, except breathing and Fine-Dining.
At the end, the "bad-guy" asks SBSP his name (which of course was flushed along with everything else)... thereby sending him into panic mode and ruining the whole charade.

In any case, it'll be a good thing to have that Barkeep tell you to "keep it down" again.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
[image|http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg||||]
New Hey Barry, did you happen to notice
if the old guy had Michigan plates?
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Almost dying. Lots better than the alternative
I'm really glad the alternative wasn't the case. I bet you are too.
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
New Interesting coincidence...
...as I watched about a half dozen cars and 2 very large trucks tangle immediately in front of me and the wife (in the new car), while raining on the NJ T-pike.

I was travelling and some 80 mph when I saw the first one start ping-ponging around about 100 yards up.

Behind me was many many autos and one very large fuel tanker.

I braked...HARD...narrowly missing the pickup on my left that was the last one to bump fenders...looked back...and immediately moved as close to the accident as possible and was missed by about a foot by the idiot trucker that saw his opening on the right and decided that he could pass this fray at 50+.

I was supposed to go on a boat ride around Manhattan. An accident on southbound caused the rubberneck that caused my near death experience.

We had dinner in New Brunswick...fabulous 4 star meal...waited for the closed southbound TP to reopen...and here I am.

Whee!
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Keep that rabbit's foot clean! Glad you're OK too.
New (rain.. 80 mph.. ... Juan Manuel Beep at Nurburgring?)

New Its the New Jersey Turnpike.
Driving under 80 is dangerous.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New Funny thing about toll roads...
...seems that the speed limit is pure fiction. And for good reason: if you're gonna pay that much, you wanna get off of it fast!

Same rules here on the Ill Tollway: Go 55 and die!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Official limit is 65
Unofficial cruise speed when it is 3 or more lanes is 75 in the slow lane.

What created the issue for my little "experience" was someone late in braking...it was a bit slick and they "panic braked" and lost control. From there...its sort of like watching an accident on a restrictor plate track in nascar.

New Re: Official limit is 65
I appreciate that Tpke Rulez limit one's options.. (depending on what the penalty is there - for dropping to 65 in Slow lane, when the rain squalls limit visibility to x car lengths. Do many have car guns?)

So then, it's a Tpke-full of Fangios, but without remembering his Attention! reminder (most of whom dunno WTF he was).

Your description suggests another argument for ABS - the less physics-ept the driver, the more that complex gadget is Worth lots more than the 18-speaker Boson multi-channel driver-distractor. While a Pro can outbrake the transistors on decent surfaces; in oil-slime, etc. it's priceless.

I'm sure you know what alt. routes there are (or aren't). All I know is - if this is the way it Is on that Tpke, even with obvious weather afoot - methinks I'd opt for eschewing the Keystone Krashers that day, with any alts. at all.

Luck,

moi

New use the turnpike or take the train, no other routes :(
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Don't move back east, my friend
lest you become a shut-in.

The alternates are worse...much MUCH worse.

New Indeed. Boston --> Miami gave me a taste of that Tpke :(

New Yikes!
glad you were only a spectator and not a participant. That audience participation stuff is overrated.

take care and keep a steady hand on the wheel...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New I was going to say that Barb must be disappointed...
but you pointed out that she would have not been happy about losing the car.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New The all powerful adrenaline surge.
It helps get you focused and prepare your body for an emergency. I'm glad it served you well.
New Dude!
WHEW! Glad you're still here to tell about it...and no damage to SWMBO's car!

A good day all around, I wot!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New On living and dying and contingencies
Ah, the contingencies. I add my voice to the others congratulating you on your escape from the anonymous old guy, and from Barb. Had you got on the freeway a minute earlier or later, you wouldn't have been a component in the near-catastrophe—someone else might have occupied the perilous spacetime slot on the roadway just then in your stead, and might not have driven out of harm's way as deftly. All this returns me to thoughts of contingency that have occupied me now and again since an acquaintance (more than nodding, but not an intimate) was killed in a traffic accident early in 1968. Half a minute fore or aft would likely have put her out of harm's way, and that alternative future, with her 53 today and likely a dull suburban matron, remains oddly compelling when I think back to her death. Thirty seconds! Maybe fifteen seconds!—and, whatever else might have befallen her subsequently, she'd likely have lived to see 2001 (the movie, I mean, released just a couple of months after her death), the King and RFK assassinations, Nixon's election, Kent State...[insert cheap crack here about the Almighty's mercy in sparing her the latter sights]. This bifurcation of destinies is thrown into stark relief on the occasion of such a death; perhaps only slightly less so when, as here, the Angel of Blunt Trauma passes close overhead, and one feels the hot, heavy beat of its leathery wings.

But on how many occasions times past have we run our errands perfectly unaware that for a second we occupied a lane that a few moments earlier or later an eighteen-wheeler was going to inhabit without a thought on the operator's part? We might have been squashed like a bug on each of these hypothetical occasions, but somehow none of them possess the resonance of the catastrophes experienced or observed narrowly averted. The happy timeline foreclosed by tragedy is vivid to us, and the dire near-extinction of all we held dear seems almost real as we regard what might-have-been with an extra liter of adrenaline coursing through our systems. When we consider that we might have been on the roadway the other day when a drunk changed lanes without looking, this abstract consciousness somehow lacks the piquancy that attends those other contemplations. Why is this, do you suppose?

The best discussion I've seen of this to date has been in the essay "It Was To Be" by Gilbert Ryle, included in his book [link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0521091152/qid=1126921424/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-8492969-3465732?v=glance&s=books|Dilemmas]. I must acknowledge, however, that I can only grasp the sense of the argument intermittently, and only after close reading—else its meaning reliably eludes me.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #225336 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=225336|ICLRPD]

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Provocative,
possibly sublime. Now on list, bumping a couple -- 'Ryle' was afloat somewhere in jelloware, all isolated. This anchors that thought-ette.
A clue re the difficulties might be had from the (unusually perspicuous!) reviews down the page -
Philosophy has spent the better part of its history spinning its wheels with little traction in answering some of the most perplexing and provocate issues about life. Then came Wittengenstein and the only person Wittgenstein believed truly understood his work, Gilbert Ryle (Elizabeth Anscombe should also be considered, but only Ryle is mentioned by name.) Ryle's most successful and enduring book is "Concept of Mind," which does much if not all of debunking nearly all philosophy from Descartes to date with wit, style, and grace. "Dilemmas" is a different sort of book, and in my opinion, the more enjoyable of the two. First, it's considerably shorter. Second, it goes to the heart of dilemmas that have perplexed agile and senile minds for centuries. It takes into consideration about five seemingly irresolvable problems and demonstrates how these dilemmas are neither a dilemma nor even challenging dilemmas.

[..>]
Heh.. 'Wittgenstein on Wittgenstein'.
Love. It.

(I have a solution to the dilemma, of course (not that I particularly Like it, understand.))
Time wounds all heels.

New Glad to hear it.
Well, the "almost" bit, anyway.

I've been to London and back this week, and on the return leg encountered a most erratic estate car being driven at a speed that varied between 50 and 70MPH, oscillating between the middle and left lanes on the A1M.

Driver on the phone. Cue me getting around and past ASAP. Idiots like that are much better when they're little dots in my rearview.

(Data point: the 1.8 Vauxhall Vectra Estate can be made to go sort of quick if you really, really rag it, but good gravy, you want to keep away from the redline; the rev limiter is brutal)

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Don't do that, damnit!
New I'll try
     I almost died today. - (broomberg) - (30)
         Whew! Goes with the roller coaster ride I guess. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Congrats to little grey-cells - (Ashton)
         Wow! - (Nightowl)
         That was a close one! - (a6l6e6x)
         I would have missed annoying you ;-) - (imqwerky)
         Such drivers need their license and vehicle removed. - (static) - (3)
             Pure instinct - (broomberg) - (2)
                 Sort of like... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Hey Barry, did you happen to notice - (danreck)
         Almost dying. Lots better than the alternative - (Silverlock)
         Interesting coincidence... - (bepatient) - (9)
             Keep that rabbit's foot clean! Glad you're OK too. -NT - (Another Scott)
             (rain.. 80 mph.. ... Juan Manuel Beep at Nurburgring?) -NT - (Ashton) - (7)
                 Its the New Jersey Turnpike. - (bepatient) - (6)
                     Funny thing about toll roads... - (jb4) - (5)
                         Official limit is 65 - (bepatient) - (4)
                             Re: Official limit is 65 - (Ashton) - (3)
                                 use the turnpike or take the train, no other routes :( -NT - (boxley)
                                 Don't move back east, my friend - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     Indeed. Boston --> Miami gave me a taste of that Tpke :( -NT - (Ashton)
         Yikes! - (cforde)
         I was going to say that Barb must be disappointed... - (ben_tilly)
         The all powerful adrenaline surge. - (bionerd)
         Dude! - (jb4)
         On living and dying and contingencies - (rcareaga) - (2)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (CRConrad)
             Provocative, - (Ashton)
         Glad to hear it. - (pwhysall)
         Don't do that, damnit! -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             I'll try -NT - (broomberg)

Ashton'd best cease derision; egregious fumblings garner hatred in judgemental klans. Lest matters natter on (precipitating quagmires), raconteur Scott transliterates umpteen verbs. Wordwright Xanadu, your zIWETHEY. Accordingly, blithely calling due eclectic, freewheeling games heedlessly invites jabber. Kenning LRPD meanings necessitates occasional, personal, quiet ruminations. Such thoughts unleash virtually wanton xenophilic yearnings: Zen Achieved.
265 ms