IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interviewing people
It's rather weird interviewing people to replace yourself. This has really been the first time I've been deeply involved in the hiring process and it's given me some insights.

1. Hiring decisions are not particularly rational. It is a popularity contest based on a single short meeting. Even under the best of circumstances it is not going to be particularly reasoned out.

2. Applicants really have no way to judge how the person doing the interview feels about them. Unless the interview went very well or very badly, your probably going to get a friendly treatment but non-commital comments on what happens next.

3. You don't want to be the first person to be interviewed for a posistion. The company isn't going to take a posistion on the first one or two, and by the time the others come along their impressions of the first ones will be muted by time. Better to be the last guy before the company commits to making a decision.

4. Typos and mistakes on resumes stand out like horrid stains.

5. If your composing a thought during an interview, better to be silent then flail around with a bunch of ers and ums.

6. I really need to find a way to get some JAVA experience on my resume. The JAVA people where asking for 5 to 10K more then everybody else and where being snapped up.

7. If the interviewer asks you if you can learn something, say yes.

8. If the interviewer asks you some technical question, don't be afraid to ask for more details or admit you don't know what they are asking. Better to admit it upfront then look like your evading or confusing the issue.

9. My Boss is now regretting not offering me a better salary up front. They are hiring a guy with less experience for a higher salary.

10. As an applicant you want to talk about yourself as much as possible but don't wander off into pointless side stories. If the person doing the interview goes into a long winded history of the company or current buisness plans, try to find a point where you can jump in and redirect things back towards your job related skills and abilities. Talk about particularly technical problems you have overcome and how impressive and complex previous projects where. Try to stay focused on things that are related to the job you are applying for. But don't interrupt the interviewer unless you really have some critical point to raise.

Jay
New Speaking of typos
Don't put Java in all-capitals on your CV.

But yes, it's odd interviewing people for your job. I did this, and it was...unusual.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Same for me
Interviewing your replacement, especially in a job you left because you weren't at all happy with the environment, is a challenge of the highest sort.

And worse when another member of the interview team rejects qualified applicants that you know could fill the role nicely because of a lack of "formal" credentials.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: Interviewing people

8. If the interviewer asks you some technical question, don't be afraid to ask for more details or admit you don't know what they are asking. Better to admit it upfront then look like your evading or confusing the issue.

I do this, but I now know from recruiter feedback that this answer is held against you. By not knowing what they want now, you appear to be less technically adept compared to other candidates. You get no credit for honesty.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Very likely
Obviously not knowing the answer is bad. But the people that tried to evade the question when they didn't know the answer came across worse to me.

It could be that this is different though if your not talking to a technical person. With somebody that doesn't know the underlying technology, you will have a much better chance of dodging the question or bulldozing past it with some vauge technical jumble.

When I was interviewing a person and they said something about a perfectly mundane bit of SQL code being strange. I knew right there they didn't have the SQL background they said they did. In this case the mundane code was a table create straight from MSSQL. They acted like the line that dropped the table if it already existed before creating a table was odd. Not only is it quite common on MSSQL, but it's function is also so obvious that any programmer should pick up on what it is for immediatly.

Jay
New I've been "tech spec'd"
by telephone and/or in person for every interview I've had this year. The person doing the spec'ing has always been technically proficient.

I get flustered when they ask questions that are obscure and pertain to the way they do business, not questions to show wether or not you know the technology. Fer instance, yesterday I had a guy ask me, "What are the three different types of replication?" I've only worked with databases that were transactional in design, so I didn't remember the other two answers (snapshot and merge), and I could see by his reaction that I dropped in the potential employee standings because of that. Considering that the position was for an SQL Developer, this type of question is really going out into left field as far as pertinency.

lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

New Just remember this...
If ya can't bedazzle 'em with brilliance, befuddle 'em with bullshit!

:-D

Peace,
Amy

Illegitimi non corborundum.
New That's my motto
And I have employed that methodology on numerous occassions to save my ass.
Works every time!
New Re: Just remember this...
Not in a "tech spec". Either you answer it correctly, the way that they want, or you're held in low esteem by the interviewer. Whe you need a job, BSing in an interview is never a good thing.
lincoln

New You can't BS a tech interview
At least not when the person you are speaking to is competent.

[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=39620|http://z.iwethey.org...w?contentid=39620]
     Interviewing people - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
         Speaking of typos - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Same for me - (bepatient)
         Re: Interviewing people - (lincoln) - (6)
             Very likely - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
                 I've been "tech spec'd" - (lincoln) - (4)
                     Just remember this... - (imqwerky) - (3)
                         That's my motto - (bionerd)
                         Re: Just remember this... - (lincoln)
                         You can't BS a tech interview - (broomberg)

Damn! Bloody %^@&^@ anal-retentive Geo Booleishness!
46 ms