IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK, here's my summary
Python is like a Mack truck with automatic -- by far the most powerful and flexible, with the biggest footprint, but still easy to drive.

JavaScript is in the middle, a more capable language than VBScript, but has several serious failings for my application.

VBScript is the simplest, lighest weight, but also the least capable.

In more detail, my requirements were:
1. Has to work in my environment (Windows Scripting Component, with a bunch of COM objects and possibly some C/C++ code).
Python/JS/VBS all should work fine here.

2. Very easy to learn, simple syntax, easy to understand since I want others (including non-professional programmers like technicians) to be able to learn it.
Python, VBS are fine, but the JS's C style syntax is too hard to learn.

3. No added cost.
All three are free, with Python and JS being open source.

4. Able to read and write disk files, databases, and network connections, since I need the script to store the data in a custom manner for each customer, which could involve any or all of these methods.
Python is has good support. JS fails all three, and VBS is pretty weak (didn't see any network or db support). True, I could have VBS use custom COM modules, but I want to be able to customize just using the scripting language.

5. Good data structure support for dynamic associative arrays, since this is the best way of storing the measurement results.
Python, JS support this, VBS does not.

6. Plays well with C/C++, COM so I can prototype new features in the scripting language and then later (fairly) transparently move parts to COM objects or C/C++ code.
Python is the best here, with excellent support for C/C++, tools like SWIG, can call and create COM objects. VBS cannot create COM objects that other programs can use. JS is in the middle.

7. A language with a strong future: large, active, and growing user base, books available, etc.
Python, VBS, JS all meet this requrirement.

Big bonus points for the following:
1. Case insensitive (case sensitivity is one of my pet peeves)
Python, VBS are not case sensitive, JS is case senstive.

2. Support for full object orientation, high level of abstraction, and other support for good programming practices so that the code is capable of scaling well if needed.
Python is clearly the best here, JS well behind, and VBS is very limited, e.g. no advanced data structures, extremely limited object orientation, and VBS's use of variants as the only data type stinks.

3. Non-proprietary, where we can control upgrades.
Python and JS are clearly better here than VBS.

4. Development tools like IDE's and debuggers available.
Python and VBS have the edge here.

5. Many free (or low cost) libraries available to extend the language.
Python has the edge here.

6. Plus for graphics and Win32 support.
Again, a plus for Python.

So, as expected, Python is the clear winner. Now I have to verify it will work, but I don't expect any major problems. It was a good excercise, because I can see cases where I'd prefer one of the other languages.

Tony
New Re: OK, here's my summary
Python is like a Mack truck with automatic -- by far the most powerful and flexible, with the biggest footprint, but still easy to drive.
I'll have to remember that one. :-D
Regards,

-scott anderson
     WSH options: Python, JavaScript or VB Script? - (tonytib) - (6)
         Unholy as it sounds: Perhaps best to stick with VBScript? - (CRConrad) - (1)
             No, scripting will stay - (tonytib)
         Re: WSH options: Python, JavaScript or VB Script? - (Squidley) - (1)
             Javascript is OK... - (admin)
         OK, here's my summary - (tonytib) - (1)
             Re: OK, here's my summary - (admin)

It is, however, a surprise that he's not been beaten to death with his own stapler.
34 ms