IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MFAC alert...
I basically write out the instructions with the movie "Stripes" in mind. "I, state your name..." The aliens that snatched the bodies of every mid level and above IT manager don't seem to understand even the simplest human instructions. It is their undoing...

Sometimes it's hard for me to get out of bed in the morning knowing that out there , there on the highways, in the boardrooms, etc... are these folks that I am absolutely awed by (awed by the fact that they can somehow manage to dress themselves, operate a vehicle, schedule a meeting). Yes, this does have a bit of relevance here as well. These folks, these people whom I wouldn't trust to pick fleas off of a small dog's ass, are also the ones that HIRE the testers in the article. The guy who knows how to write the instructions (or maybe even actually program) is just a place holder for "cheaper and more easily managed labor". IE, he's history soon.

I'm going back to sleep now and praying that the electricity doesn't go out on such a hot evening for fear that XElectric Co hasn't laid off/force retired every expensive engineer that actually knows how to fix "electric problems".
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New I understand both sides.
Lots of people learn that the way to avoid problems is to follow instructions exactly as they're given. If one is intimidated by something, that is often viewed as the safest course. I remember a lab partner in school who messed up ~ 2 weeks of our work due to following the instructions exactly rather than thinking about what he was doing...

Yes, it's frustrating to try to make things excruciatingly clear in detail and then have the details ignored - or to have the write-up take the place of thinking. But that's the way it is.

Hiring people who have that (seemingly rare) flash of insight to be able to understand instructions is, of course, the best solution. But new techniques and procedures will always arrive. Spending some time training people how to do things, based on a clear write-up but not supersceded by a clear write-up, will probably always be necessary.

The Shark Tank guy should have understood that a 20 page writeup is good, but not sufficient. Standing up and demonstrating what needed to be done was essential as well.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: I understand both sides.
You could use colors. For just one of a myriad that come to mind.
Type in this space the exact command for ___
Further explanation could be in another color. Etcetera.

The trouble with the common pedantic
{let's just List all the OPTIONS that command ever had, via cutesy typefaces}
is that, in being 'exhaustively'-complete; it's also irrelevant to the buck-simple Purpose of any edict going:

to average-IQ Corp drones. (And, I gather; from here: that applies trebly, the farther up the Corp Ladder one climbs --> the Boss's son faux-CTO.)

I! Could write a better crib-sheet than the example, as doubtless could anyone here: with broom likely getting A+ generally, for a remarkable blend of concision preceded by: a clear appreciation of the goal, the minds to be jogged: and KISS.

Face it: mindless regurgitation IS lousy writing.
Every Great Writer has a Great Editor (with perishing-few exceptions; always there is a genius..)

But then, the employee list for most of our Corps is so filled with the halt, lame and unimaginitive {inspired by the Halt, Lame and Arrogant at Top}: on second thought - Why Bother?

moi

Edit tyop
Expand Edited by Ashton June 24, 2005, 03:57:50 AM EDT
New you mean I couldnt rewrite Milton's Paradise Lost by
/s/paradise/"really cool place in the mountains"?
thanx,
bill
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Is brain-paralyzed punctiliousness a Required Course in IT - (Ashton) - (13)
         common error, usually because in the beginning of the doc - (boxley) - (10)
             That has nothing to do with anything. RTFA! - (CRConrad) - (9)
                 RTFA yerself - (boxley) - (8)
                     So then.. exactly the same %meatheads in IT - (Ashton) - (1)
                         The guy is QA - (Arkadiy)
                     I did. So, what eactly does your improved e-mail here... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         I was responding to Ashtom about Mr. Dumass - (boxley)
                     MFAC alert... - (danreck) - (3)
                         I understand both sides. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Re: I understand both sides. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 you mean I couldnt rewrite Milton's Paradise Lost by - (boxley)
         He's the norm. - (broomberg) - (1)
             And you, surely_____aren't - (Ashton)

I'm a Mog! Half man, half dog -- I'm my own best friend!
113 ms