IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Multiwindow /multidesktop movement

Does Expose' help at all?

I know you can spread out the active windows and then cursor between them without letting your hands leave the keyboard.

Even as big a Mac fan as I am, I'll admit it took me a while to get used to the OS X desktop.
Tom Sinclair

"This is a lovely party," said the Bursar to a chair, "I wish I was here."
-- The Bursar is a man under a *lot* of stress
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New Expose assumes many windows on a single screen
Which means no organizing, just lumping everthing stuff together.

Doesn't help multi-desktop, too many windows showing on the Apple-tab, etc. You can use the arrow arrow keys for the current desktop, but if you switch desktops arrow keys switch between ghost windos from the original desktop.

Expose is a poor hack to address an interface flaw, not a solution.

Even the name shows the problem.

"Expose."

"Show me everything out there because the interface is so bad I can't possibly orgranize it in a way that I know and control my environment"

Apple people have been suckered by the eye candy.

Everytime I find something interesting that makes me say: "Hey, neat stuff, I like it", I quickly become disillusioned.

Maybe it is simply I expect to much.
New No, I think you expect it to be something its not
Sounds to me like you can't make it behave the exact same way you make a different window manager behave. I suspect that what you want may be possible but I also suspect that the way you want to use it doesn't exactly fall into the "typical mac user" bucket...hence it may take a bit of a search to get there...or maybe an adjustment in your behavior to better match the new environment.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I'll never be a "typical" Mac user
Seems like Mac fanboys have no idea what a truly complex environment requires.

If I have to alter / simplify what I do to fit into a Mac environment, which them means limiting what I do, then I really have no use for it. At least not has a desktop Linux replacement. Which is kind of sad, since Mac claims the desktop crown.

I call bullshit.
New Hmmmm
Fuck you.

I don't know why I bother helping you with your fucked up attitude but:

[link|http://www.yousoftware.com/desktops/?keyword=vt+desktops|http://www.yousoftwa...yword=vt+desktops]

Is a virtual desktop thingy that works with expose - which is to say triggering expose only shows the windows on the current desktop. Once triggered, you can select the window you want using arrow keys and hit return to activate the window.

cmd-` switches among windows in the current application. Using the above mentioned window manager, this command only switches among windows in the current desktop of the current application. Yes this works with xterms.

Signed, a fanboy.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Do you use it?
And the reason you help me is that you see throughout all this crap, I really am trying!
New No, I don't use multiple desktops - I don't think that way
I could never get into the habit - even when working on X11 platforms that had them. However, i did install it on Tiger, it does work, and I played with it for about 15 minutes to see if it addressed your complaints. It works properly with expose. It seems like a pretty slick little program.

Also, I wondered if you'd figured out that cmd-` flipped through windows in an app layer on a desktop, while expose can be keyboard driven by invoking it, then arrow keying to hilight the window you want, then hitting return to activate it. No mousing required.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Thanks

Also, I wondered if you'd figured out that cmd-` flipped through windows in an app layer on a desktop,

No I hadn't.
New Tried ctrl-F4 yet?
Supposedly that flips through open documents, regardless of application.

If that works like alt-tab, you can remap it.

I can't try it right now, because the Mini is at home.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Tried ctrl-F4 yet?
Changes speaker volume.

The Apple - Backtick works through open app windows for a particular app.
It bounces to different desktops, though, so I can't open a series of windows for a particular project on a particular desktop and have it respect that boundary (as Todd steams while I bitch like the ingrate I am).

But it is certainly closer than it was yesterday to being a usable environment.
New ctrl-F4, or Apple-F4?
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I didn't find it bouncing to different desktops
when using the commercial window manager to which I sent you the link. I had safari windows open on each of two desktops and it cmd-` didn't result in a switch.

New I was using the other desktop manager.
I'll try the commercial one next.
New Happens on X terms but not browser windows
Arrgg!!!
New So use regular terms
you've found that exporting DISPLAY in the environment lets you use other terminal programs.

This shows you how to set up globally available environment variables:
[link|http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen/AquaEnvVar.html|http://www.astro.was...n/AquaEnvVar.html]

New ctrl-F4 on mine cycles windows.
Stupidly, though. It's not most-recent-used, it's just "go through all of the windows, regardless of application". Bleah.

MRU is a good algorithm for this sort of thing. Not everyone stays in a single application all the time, which is what having two (three?!?) different keys to do the same thing assumes. I don't want to have to remember whether the MRU window is in another app or not in order to decide which key to use. That's asinine.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Why do you call "Apple-Key" Control?
Or does control work on your machine the way Apple works on mine?
New I gotta go play with that.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New That looks slick
15 day trial - will have to give it a try as soon as they [link|http://forums.yousoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=355|fix Tiger issues].
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New Seems to work fine on Tiger
The note you pointed to said they'd have a working version on 4/29

New actually it's "as soon as possible after 4/29"
They have [link|http://forums.yousoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=401|another thread] dated 5-12 with "it's coming soon"
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New OK, current version works now though
except maybe for the separate desktop folders.

Multiwindow /multidesktop movement - (broomberg) - (49)
         I can't help, but... - (pwhysall) - (15)
             So you agree this interface sucks -NT - (broomberg) - (14)
                 It seems to suck for you - (pwhysall) - (11)
                     Agreed - (broomberg) - (10)
                         Expose does it for me - (SpiceWare)
                         Multiple desktops... - (pwhysall) - (8)
                             How many programs do you keep open, on how large a screen? -NT - (broomberg) - (7)
                                 Sometimes - (folkert) - (2)
                                     WTF? - (broomberg) - (1)
                                         I only give a crap about one fire at a time - (boxley)
                                 Quite a few, really. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                     30 goddamn windows - (broomberg) - (2)
                                         No, it's not insane. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             No -NT - (broomberg)
                 I agree your attitude sucks - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
         Re: Multiwindow /multidesktop movement - (tjsinclair) - (21)
             Expose assumes many windows on a single screen - (broomberg) - (20)
                 No, I think you expect it to be something its not - (bepatient) - (19)
                     I'll never be a "typical" Mac user - (broomberg) - (18)
                         Hmmmm - (tuberculosis) - (17)
                             Do you use it? - (broomberg) - (11)
                                 No, I don't use multiple desktops - I don't think that way - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                                     Thanks - (broomberg) - (8)
                                         Tried ctrl-F4 yet? - (admin) - (7)
                                             Re: Tried ctrl-F4 yet? - (broomberg) - (6)
                                                 ctrl-F4, or Apple-F4? -NT - (admin)
                                                 I didn't find it bouncing to different desktops - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                     I was using the other desktop manager. - (broomberg)
                                                     Happens on X terms but not browser windows - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                         So use regular terms - (tuberculosis)
                                                 ctrl-F4 on mine cycles windows. - (admin)
                                     Why do you call "Apple-Key" Control? - (broomberg)
                             I gotta go play with that. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             That looks slick - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                                 Seems to work fine on Tiger - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                     actually it's "as soon as possible after 4/29" - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                         OK, current version works now though - (tuberculosis)
         Have you looked at Virtue and/or Quicksilver? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Virtue doesn't do anything better - (broomberg) - (1)
                 I'm not seeing that (the flakiness) - (pwhysall)
         Re: Multiwindow /multidesktop movement - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Thanks - (broomberg)
             We *know* he's a desktop weirdo - (admin)
             Witch install directions don't mesh with 10.4 - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Bummer. I like Witch. - (pwhysall)
             This is an illuminating discussion. - (static) - (2)
                 I'm experimenting with MSVDM - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     I'm using DeskWin - (static)

The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
206 ms