IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You made me think of Tom Lehrer...
and his up-beat [link|http://wiw.org/~drz/tom.lehrer/evening.html#pigeons|"Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"] song:

For it's not against any religion,
To want to dispose of a pigeon

We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment.
Except for the few we take home to experiment.
My pulse will be quickenin'
With each drop of strychnine
We feed to a pigeon.
It just takes a smidgin!
To poison a pigeon in the park.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Honored by the association..
Ol' Tom made life in this loony society.. that much more bearable.. in worst of the times -

Am nyever fyerget when I am meet the greaat mathematician, Lobachevsky who said: "The secret to mathematics is plagiarism". ..
So let not a thing evade your eyes.. don't shade your eyes but..

Plagiarise! Plagiarise! Plagiarise...!

(but please to call it .... research)

Aii!
Nikolai Ivanovich ... Lobachevskii was his Naaame !!
Aii!

{sniff}

Ashton
He shall live Forever.
New I had to buy a CD of his...
after by sister who borrowed the LP of Tom's that I bought around 1960 and then claimed ignorance of it when I asked to get it back. Oh, well.

Lobachevsky is one of my favorites, also. Of course Tom was and as far as I know still is a mathematician.

For fun rapid delivery, I like The Elements. Having started college in Chemical Engineering (later switching to Electronics), it hits a tickle spot.

For the brightest darkness I like We Will All Go Together When We Go. Tom preceded Doctor Strangelove here by a few years. The guy is truly amazing.

Some of the Mark Russell ditties echo but don't equal the style.

Aleksander Ivanovich

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New H,He;Li,Be,B,C,N,O,F,Ne;Na,Mg,Al,Si,P,S,Cl,A
I tried in HS to construct a mnemonic for at least the first 3 'octaves' of that wondrous creation, The Periodic Chart. Still works. (Transuranic will kill ya though). Yeah.. chem is beautiful - do they teach that anymore? Do many (10% ?) 18 year olds know what valence is?

Yup - Great Minds. I may still.. yet.. memorize The Elements (though they aren't in order - poetic license and all). Use it or lose it.

..All Go Together not merely fav but - appropriate for so many er *decades*. Somehow we squeaked by, despite flights of Canada Geese and twitchy folk on the other side.

The Old Dope Peddler - prescient, now we gots a War (on the millions of users who don't get caught) and all the BS that feeds our penchant for War on __. I WANT: A War on (Wars on__)

Sad that there are no successors to Tom, also Tommy Smothers, Laugh-In .. all the radio comedians. All we get is juvenile toilet jokes except

The Comics {sigh}. The talent may be there somewhere: just not on the meeja, that 24/7 maw which will fill each hour with *something*, no matter how tacky.

Ashton
Tom Lehrer for Pres - wherever he be.
(he's too smart to take it)
New wherever he be
According to this [link|http://wiw.org/~drz/tom.lehrer/faq.html|FAQ] of Tom's [link|http://wiw.org/~drz/tom.lehrer/|fan's website] he is in your neck of the woods part of the year teaching at University of California at Santa Cruz with the remainder in Massachusetts.

The site also has a nice [link|http://wiw.org/~drz/tom.lehrer/jmazner/lehrhtml.html|annotated bio].

You would love this quote of Tom: "Another pervasive change in this country has been the decline of literacy. Admittedly, one always used to hear that a picture was worth a thousand words, but that was before they devalued the word." Streaming video, anyone?

[link|http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/vonbraun.htm|The Wernher von Braun song] made we wonder if he attended the same public lecture by Wernher von Braun in Cambridge (MA) that I went to a year or two after Sputnik (1957). In the Q & A after the lecture Wernher von Braun (who then headed development of US rocket program) was asked how he justified developing the German V-2 rocket used to rain terror on Britain. Paraphrasing, he said "Well, I was advancing the science of rocketry.". "Besides, one has to do what one is asked for one's country.". A considerable amount of hissing followed from the (mostly MIT student) audience.

[link|http://wiw.org/~drz/tom.lehrer/evening.html#elements|Lyrics - The Elements.] But, you have got to hear it!
Alex

New Gracias; links saved.
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park is my fav for Ecology Day. Note that even *here* among the vestiges of Murican intelligentsia or something.. ecology is now deemed Pee Cee (that lovely blanket-malphism for er any of those issue-thingies we don't really want to -->| Face) 'cause we'd have to change those consumption habits.

So under-attended is the topic, that indeed some of the PeeCee stuff is even valid (believe we can blame that too on our kultur of forgetfulness?). For many it IS YAN Corporate $-game. Just as 9/11 spawned the auto industry's er Fire-sale.. on all the left-over UAVs: One's Patriotic Duty to Keeeep Spending on those maxed-out CeeCees, you Peepul.

(Hydrogen.. betcha a couple measly million might get spent paying lip service. Meanwhile Dubya n'Dick n'Daddy and the boys.. make sure the Saudi-connection endures, [oil] remains King o' the financiers.. down to the last million barrels. Then a Cra$h Program [cost-plus contract natch] to do what -- we knew we should have started just after the 1973 GAS LINES.)

{sigh}

Alas, poor Wernher has lots of company. For deeming all science activity to be 'perfectly' ~amoral (er, leave it to our Statesmen to worry pretty little heads) .. Statesmen ?? .. all the countries were busily at work tryin to work out new bugs capable of devastating all homo-saps (and anything else is OK - just collateral). I gather that at least a few have found some organism-creation techniques as virtually promise a fully Doomsday-ready Super-bug. That is, I've heard this 'direction' mentioned obliquely, fortunately without specificity.

Now if just One has that clue.. publish or perish. Winning is Everything.. Ah but Recognition! is even More than Everything [Else]. So, Tom has Our Song ready for that final triumph of ego over planetary survival. Too!

Yup - ecology - who Needs that Crap !? Let's get that cel-fone brain implant --> Market reel soon, I say. (MP-3 attachment First, o'course). Wernher was a piker! compared to them Other researchers on Governments' payrolls. (Yeah, I've met some of those guys.. needed three showers afterwards.)

Cheers,

Ashton
Mark Twain & Tom Lehrer would have made good dinner companions.
Ever read his (posthumous!) analyis of The Damned Human Race ? He grokked to fullness. (But didn't dare publish that while still in a form to be.. burned at the stake by Puritans: a practical man.)
New Goodbye Mom, I'm off to drop the bomb
So don't wait up for me...

Perhaps that's still scarily relevant.

Anyway, just a quick 'Yay for Tom Lehrer' post, even if I am a little late to the party. Once upon a time I learned to play Poisoning Pigeons In The Park, my brother does a passable Lehrer singing impression, but in the years since I've lost my Lehrer songbook *pout*.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Re: Songbook
[link|http://wiw.org/~drz/tom.lehrer/evening.html|Link to lyrics of some songs.] It's a start.
Alex

New Re: H,He;Li,Be,B,C,N,O,F,Ne;Na,Mg,Al,Si,P,S,Cl,A
Ah, fond memories of Mr. Kruse. (my high school chemistry teacher.) He gave us the local college's final exam and most of us passed it. :=) He bitched about that; was going to apply a state college exam the next year. His class was the last time I ever used a slide rule, the next year they were all using TI-94's.

Valences... pity I had to go to Google and refresh my memory. Why O2 is stable and O3 isn't.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Well, ya got the basics at least.
That's comforting, a bit. I suspect that the key to beginning to appreciate the beauty of 'chemistry' prolly begins with several hours of (brilliant!) lectures, demos of - the Periodic Chart; how prescient was Mendeleev - the chart even predicting the [holes]: missing elments! IIRC #43 called (uninspiredly) Technetium (Tc) was the first one as verified the correctness of the model. The valence numbers would appeal to a numerologist's heart too, the series 2:8:18.. describing and explaining how the shells of electrons are filled.

Everything around us (that we think we 'see') derives from these few magical relationships. Sad when a new group gets their driving licenses (after which.. most thought ceases? for a lengthy period) before - grokking this stuff.

Anyway.. there have been some great Showmen around. One comes to mind - he would dress in the costume of the period (of some great Chemist, Physicist) and do a demo lecture - to give the flavor of what was known/ not yet known, and how they reasoned about his New Theory (and rejected and dissected) etc.

Methinks that great ideas deserve great theatre: folks remember and generate that Interest essential for moving further. Bland techno-texts cannot catalyze this - only great teachers. The Biznesss Model ever believes: a spreadsheet can measure anything 'important'. And currently: These pipsqueaks Rule all life on the planet.

{sigh}

Ashton
Hell, mere brain chemistry explains autistic Billy! - and look at what He's brought us (to). Now as to Ashcroft's brain chemistry? Think: Control.. of All. As raison d'etre.
New Don't be so pessimistic
You keep on thinking that people who think that all which can be measured is to be found in spreadsheets control everything.

Not so!

They merely control everything which can be easily recorded in spreadsheets. As none of friendship, knowledge, or conversation are describable in spreadsheets, they control none of them. In fact your judgement of the value of what they do control is strongly dependent upon how much you share their values.

Do you care about pieces of paper that say people have learned things? Then they are big and powerful, they run universities! Do you care about sitting down and having a fascinating conversation where you learn a lot? Then relax. They don't know what that is, and will fail in taking that away.

Cheers,
Ben
New If you say so.
Quite true. In splendid metaphysical isolation. On that scale: nothing here matters except as a play to be transcended.

Then relax. They don't know what that is, and will fail in taking that away. They thought that in 1933 in the great German Universities too, as Hitler became Chancellor. Ignore these thugs; they don't know what we're about and will leave us alone...

I can quite ignore the trends all around, too. 'They' haven't come for me yet, either! Comfort is a serious drug: don't OD on it.

Ashton
     Hot sauce anyone? - (Silverlock) - (31)
         Holy Smokes! - (wharris2) - (3)
             I'll have to pass - (nking) - (2)
                 OT: Welcome back to your old handle... -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                     OT: thanks - (nking)
         Hottest I've ever tasted - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Hmmm... - (Yendor)
             Slightly better (for some definitions of better) - (wharris2)
         TWO prescient LRPDs - (Steve Lowe)
         Re: Hot sauce anyone? - (andread)
         3rd prescient LRPD - (Silverlock) - (19)
             How the hell? - (wharris2) - (18)
                 That's easy - use the hottest peppers you can find, plus... - (CRConrad)
                 Must be an extrapolation - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                     Yeah - but at the other end.. - (Ashton)
                     Sure about the definition? - (wharris2)
                 Simple science. - (Ashton) - (12)
                     You made me think of Tom Lehrer... - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
                         Honored by the association.. - (Ashton) - (10)
                             I had to buy a CD of his... - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                                 H,He;Li,Be,B,C,N,O,F,Ne;Na,Mg,Al,Si,P,S,Cl,A - (Ashton) - (8)
                                     wherever he be - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                         Gracias; links saved. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             Goodbye Mom, I'm off to drop the bomb - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                                 Re: Songbook - (a6l6e6x)
                                     Re: H,He;Li,Be,B,C,N,O,F,Ne;Na,Mg,Al,Si,P,S,Cl,A - (wharris2) - (3)
                                         Well, ya got the basics at least. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             Don't be so pessimistic - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 If you say so. - (Ashton)
                 capsaicin extract - (Silverlock)
         Where's Fizban's? - (static) - (1)
             One jar tabasco? - (wharris2)

For Wade, it is to wait.
151 ms