IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ethical dilemma
I just started a two-week contract on Wednesday. Ends on 5/18/05.

I got a call from a recruiter today for a position with comparable pay plus subsidized health care, 3+ months, possible permanant position. Starts monday, would interview tomorrow.

What would you do?
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
-Isaac Asimov
New Can you take the interview after 5?
Nobody could reasonably expect you to prefer a 2-week gig to a possible permanent job.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New I can get away for the interview.
It's walking away from the contract with one day notice that could potentially sour my relationship with one contract agency + a large employer in the area.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
-Isaac Asimov
New Re: I can get away for the interview.
Did the recruiter or client ask you your commitment level on a 2-week contract prior to actually tendering the offer? Did you indicate that you would stake your reputation on showing up for the full term of the contract?

If so, then how much is your reputation worth?

If not, it's still a sticky situation and a mess, but in the end, you have to do what you feel is right for you -- taking into account both the "now" and the "in the future", since you indicated that the current client is a large employer in the area.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Contract-to-perm >> confirmed 2 weeks
Wear a suit to work tomorrow, interview near lunch-ish, if possible.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New explain candidly what you are doing, if the recruiter is
ethical, no prob, if the recruiter sux then the job is BS
thanx,
bill
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New I agree.
Thane: You're not a 19 year old, single, independently wealthy guy with no expenses who can pass up 12 weeks of paychecks for 2. Explain to the recruiter that you feel very badly, but you feel that you must take the other job. If the recruiter is willing to crucify you over a comission on a 2 week position, then he's got serious problems. Employers know that things come up - otherwise they wouldn't have needed to hire someone for 2 weeks to begin with. The employer will get over it quickly.

But, like Joe says below, if the new place will take a 2 week delay, then everyone wins. If they won't though, I would still go with the new position.

Luck, Thane!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'd be a bit more worried about the NEED to start NOW
No one would have a position open and expect to make a decision and have someone start NOW. People always give at least 2 weeks notice. Simple as that.

Sure, they'd LIKE you to start now, but it would be unreasonable to demand it.

Do you want to work for an unreasonable firm? Bad precedent early on.
New Actually, that's how I got my last job...
Interviewed Thursday, got the offer Friday, started Monday, despite being at another position at the time with some people I was most definitely NOT worried about pissing off. That last job was actually pretty good until the culture shift occurred - guess I got lucky.

P.S. I'm thinking about putting myself out on a limb with this - I do need a position something fierce.
-Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by inthane-chan May 5, 2005, 11:04:37 PM EDT
New "I'm currently employed and must give two weeks notice"
"will try to see if I can shorten it."

As previously stated, every employer would like an immediate fill, but understands the two week notice. If that's not acceptable (two week notice) job is probably not worth it.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
     Ethical dilemma - (inthane-chan) - (9)
         Can you take the interview after 5? - (drewk) - (2)
             I can get away for the interview. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Re: I can get away for the interview. - (Yendor)
         Contract-to-perm >> confirmed 2 weeks - (Yendor) - (2)
             explain candidly what you are doing, if the recruiter is - (boxley) - (1)
                 I agree. - (Another Scott)
         I'd be a bit more worried about the NEED to start NOW - (broomberg) - (1)
             Actually, that's how I got my last job... - (inthane-chan)
         "I'm currently employed and must give two weeks notice" - (jbrabeck)

This land was green and good... until the Crystal cracked!
60 ms