IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yep, I still think so.
BenT asks [Moved around to suit my order - CRC]:
If you still think that my reading comprehension lacks, please clarify.
OK, I'll try.

This may have been a pathetic attempt at humor. But it was too pathetic an attempt to interpret that way, hence I didn't. Therefore I applied logic.
It was indeed "an attempt" at humour. And I'm sorry, But I'm not going to take your word for it that it was "pathetic"; your humour circuitry appears to be, if not damaged, then not of the best to begin with. Look, for instance, at your own closely following passage:
The normal response to someone saying, Do X because that is what everyone does is the line, Eat shit, a billion flies can't be wrong. (Or trivial variations thereof.) Hence my response.
SIGH... The bit about a billion flies not being wrong is what's called in the humour business a "set-up line"; the "Eat shit!" part is a so-called "punch-line".

Anyone who calls putting the punch-line BEFORE the set-up a "trivial" variation is soooo not qualified to pass judgement on my humour.

HTH.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New You've clearly not encountered that line before
It is far more common to put the "Eat shit" bit first. Google for how many times you find various variations to verify that. It puts the emphasis in the place that makes the desired point, which is how stupid it is to do things because they are popular.

Besides, anyone who would attempt to break a joke down into semantics like you did is obviously not processing things the same way that normal people are. Every rule gets broken from time to time.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Oh, POAD, you whiney ars...rectum.
My first encounter with that line predates Google by just a tad; it was probably before you were able to read, too. A classmate had it printed on a T-shirt (complete with silly cartoon of a furry fly and a pile of dung) in... Must have been about 1978.

Be that how it may, I still don't see how moving the punch-line before the set-up somehow alters "the emphasis"; AFAICS, the point remains the same either way.

And, your gibbering about "break[ing] a joke down into semantics" (like, babbling about how ruining the joke "makes the desired point"?) notwithstanding, I'm still fairly sure it's a well-know common-sense basic rule of joke-telling: You save the punch line for last. Are you *seriously* trying to dispute this? Or are you trying to claim that it isn't supposed to be a joke at all?

Oh, whogivesafuck: Keep whining, you annoying miserable little sod; I'm not going to listen any more. [Marvellous phrase, there, (c) PW -- Thanks!]

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Definitely not before I could read...
1978 was the year I turned 9, I'd already discovered science fiction by then.

As for the rest, I think we are agreed that there is no point in continued discussion between us.

Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Dynamic web apps vs rich clients - (bluke) - (53)
         I hope it does. - (pwhysall)
         I'm telling ya, gotta move back to VB/Delphi model - (tablizer) - (40)
             Yeah. - (pwhysall) - (38)
                 Try this. - (mmoffitt)
                 Well, if we can fiat SCGUI into existence... - (ChrisR)
                 I meant in general -NT - (tablizer) - (35)
                     The idea sucks in general, too. -NT - (pwhysall) - (34)
                         you were vague on why it "sucked" -NT - (tablizer) - (33)
                             I have a Mac. Or a Linux box. Or an Amiga. Or a toaster. - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                 Cross-platform is an implementation detail -NT - (tablizer) - (5)
                                     A detail that requires... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         But not RealBasic. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     The point is... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         For varying- and IMO insufficient- def'ns of "sufficiently". -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             What is that you can't do in a web browser... - (pwhysall)
                                 Bullshit. - (CRConrad) - (25)
                                     You're so LITERAL, CRC. - (pwhysall) - (24)
                                         Yeah, well, sorry; we can't all be illiterate, I guess... - (CRConrad) - (23)
                                             Re: Yeah, well, sorry; we can't all be illiterate, I guess.. - (admin) - (12)
                                                 Most sub-giga-RAM boxes I've used J-apps on, it's still SLOW -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     Just like there are bad UIs in some VB programs... -NT - (admin)
                                                 Slow at what? - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                                     Re: Slow at what? - (admin) - (6)
                                                         OpenOffice Win32 is a turtle. :-( - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                             I'm not talking about Windows. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                 Your IDEA launches considerably faster than mine - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                     He is TEH ADMIN, remember. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     Must be your encouraging mental field... -NT - (admin)
                                                 Not slow? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     Yeah, that's bad code. - (admin)
                                             So, to summarise: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 Which VB? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     Ask CRC, he's the one with a stiffy for it :-) -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             Eat shit, a billion flies can't be wrong - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                 Sheesh, man... it's obvious that some of us can, though. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                     I can read just fine. - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Yep, I still think so. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                             You've clearly not encountered that line before - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                 Oh, POAD, you whiney ars...rectum. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                     Definitely not before I could read... - (ben_tilly)
             Notice how the mention of Turing pins everyone's bogometer -NT - (FuManChu)
         Going for the extinguish part? - (warmachine) - (9)
             Have you used gmail or google maps? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                 Alas, Opera ain't fully supported - (warmachine) - (6)
                     Microsoft is developing Ajax? Buh? - (admin)
                     You mean that Opera doesn't fully support standards - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Question about JS and Firefox (new thread) - (jb4)
                     As others have pointed out, that is Opera's fault - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         What's funny about that - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Re: What's funny about that - (pwhysall)
                 NONONONONO - (pwhysall)
         Shrug...rich clients aren't going anywhere - (Simon_Jester)

Hello! Woody! Do you want join in vehement athletics?
70 ms