IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I absolutely agree
We've commented on this at II. There are a couple of classes of folk here -- those who stick to an ID and those who've hopped. The hoppers have their reasons, some have tried to obscure their identity, some haven't. In this particular group, the obscuring doesn't last too long, there are personality traits that show up pretty quickly. The reasons seem to basically break down into two schools: trying to change (or hide) from a past ID, and somewhat incidental changes. As with other examples of name changes (think the KGB, now know as something else, various lables applied to dark-complected persons in the US, corporate name changes (eg: Acenture, Phillip Morris, Experian (formerly TRW), and other institutional or cultural transitions), changing a name doesn't change the fundamental nature of the beast.

The incidental changes tend to fall to other reasons. Scott's now know as admin, because, er, he is (personally I'd mildely prefer he posted as ScottA or malraux, and reserved "admin" for admin purposes, but it's not a big deal). Ashton's been known as "aston" or "ashton2" variously , which is pretty easy to figure out (forgotten passwords, Mr. Brown?). A few folk in professional life have elected not to use their professional names to represent themselves as a mild bit of protection, but haven't gone out of their way to hide who they are.

As I've said before, being well-known has generally served me well, and I've managed to deal with the occasional critics I've encountered. But that's a personal choice.

I'm very confused as to why ones partner would have any say on the matter.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Simpler.
'aston': someone's typo, not ever my post-name.
ashton2 - I initially used at zIW, imagining that the PW list from EZ had been incorporated into Zope. Someone mentioned the redundancy, so I dropped the 2 (apparently there's another 'ashton' on EZ somewhere.)

Of course too, a one or two of the handle changes have (apparently) been prompted by er clear and present danger of being tracked-to source by a baddie in one's civilian life. Understandable, maybe even effective for any mere 'name' searches.

As you say though - personalities will win out, so such changes are unlikely to confuse any regulars. But that wasn't their intention anyway.

\ufffdrhennius Ashkenazy, Esq.
What's in a name, Genghis? Why.. they'll love you for your good heart!
     Handle or real name? - (orion) - (28)
         I have had no problems - (ben_tilly)
         Re: Handle or real name? - (Yendor)
         Re: Handle or real name? - (wharris2)
         Re: Handle or real name? - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Dangerously sexy netbabes - (kmself) - (2)
                 The only thing I get from them - (orion) - (1)
                     This is not true - (kmself)
         Depends on the arena. - (ChrisR) - (11)
             Why they could be after me - (orion) - (10)
                 What, are they actually still after you? - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     Not here at least - (orion)
                 MacJihad is way over - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                     Nonconformists? - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         Sort of like those guys left on islands in WWII - (orion) - (2)
                             So then.. have you suffered remorse for your - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 yes I have and then some - (orion)
                         We are all individuals - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                             The changing times. - (Meerkat)
                             ..Living in our own private Idaho. (Omniscient LRPD sez) :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Re: Handle or real name? - (Steve Lowe)
         Both. :-) - (inthane-chan)
         You pick - (tuberculosis)
         Always, always, use your real name :-) - (screamer) - (1)
             But.. but, Dan - (Ashton)
         if your wife says change, change - (boxley)
         Yes. You should use one of them. -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
             I absolutely agree - (kmself) - (1)
                 Simpler. - (Ashton)

The sleek race lines of an outhouse standing on a garbage scow.
359 ms