IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Who wants to program ASP.NET applications?
I am thinking about setting up a [link|http://www.brinkster.com|Brinkster] 20M free ASP.NET account. I was wondering if there are any other ASP/ASP.NET developers out there that are interested in learning or creating new applications? Maybe open source applications?

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
Expand Edited by orion Nov. 28, 2001, 10:40:31 PM EST
New Re: Who wants to program ASP.NET applications?
You could offer me a million bucks a year to program ASP.NET and I wouldn't take it.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Re: Who wants to program ASP.NET applications?
You could offer me a million bucks a year to program ASP.NET and I wouldn't take it.
-YendorMike

I would.

But you knew that.

Hey, Karsten. You want a job programming ASP.NET? A mill a year. Apparently Mike doesn't need that kind of money (:=

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New I do a little ASP now and then...
...but I don't have much free time - 2 jobs and a broken foot - not to mention lots of stuff involved with the kids.

As for open source projects, I think there are two motivations - Desire or Need. In the Desire category, I would say that there has to be some reward in terms of knowledge to motivate the endeavor. In the Need Category, I would say that it is more based upon the particular problem being solved, not the tools.

At this time, I don't have a great desire to learn the newer versions of .ASP. The server aspect of the engine doesn't do much for me that I can't already do. And I don't like the client side of the equation - preferring to stick to very thin clients that use Standards (w3c and ilk).

Ah well, I'm supposed to go to a series of seminars in the not too distant future that covers .net - They are no cost and more importantly they come with free meals (heck I can be bought for the cost of a lunch - no need for a million dollars). So far, I haven't seen anything in .Net to get excited about - but I haven't really had the inclination to look deeply into it.
New Desire and need
For desire I desire to learn the new ASP.NET language to get a jump start on it before the rest of the "Professionals" do.

I need to sharpen my skills and making a few ASP.NET applications not only will do that, but will make me look better to headhunter and potential employers if they can see my works before they decide to hire me.

I was thinking more of a BSD open source license, make a No-Frills version that is open source and then contact up the support and customization of the program to the clients that have a need for more than just the standard version. The no-frills version will most likely be driven by a Microsoft Access database and not have reports, ActiveX/Java controls, and gee-gaws. If I get other people helping, they can cover their part of the country/world. For example Desitter and I are in the same area, but if we both work on the program I can cover half of our local area and he can cover the other half. Peter could cover the UK, etc. Plus since my "No Compete" contract with my employer says I cannot work for another lawfirm, someone else can work for another lawfirm like Desitter, in place of me.

First things first, I want to develop an online registration program and have a request system that clients can put in requests for job offers or tasks. Then later maybe a quiz system to offer certification in certain areas and also offer an online tutorial that one can read prior to the quiz to learn. Maybe I can make an online learning system that educators can use to teach?

New Don't go with an open-source license...
You are dealing with VB employers. These are people who have been converted to the Microsoft Way. Should you write open source code, they will think you are a commie pinko who is liable to take their valuable secrets and publish them to the world if they hire you.

Let people see the code, but with a truly obnoxious license. Something saying that to use your code you have to pay. They can respect that. They may ignore it and use it anyways, but they will respect that you tried...

Cheers,
Ben
New The obnoxious licence
By using this software you agree to pay for it based on our price list. Any customization we do for your person or organization will still be our property. The software is provided on an "As is" basis and we are not responsible if any damage happens as a result of your mis-management or mis-use of the software. We are also not responsible for any damaged caused by bugs in your operating system or your inability to use your operating system effectively. You agree by this agreement to not sue our firm, or any of our employees past or present in any form of lawsuit in any way shape or form. If you decide to switch to a competitor product there will be a cancelation fee charged based on your gross anual income. If you would like to use our code to develop your own system, but refuse to buy the newer code and updates from our firm, there will be a buyout fee based on your gross annual income. Our firm may decide to change these agreements at any time in any way shape or form.

Man, should Microsoft hire me or what? :)

New Re: The obnoxious licence
You forgot the first-born son clause.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Re: The obnoxious licence
Also the sell your soul clause. :)

Who wants to program ASP.NET applications? - (orion) - (8)
         Re: Who wants to program ASP.NET applications? - (Yendor) - (1)
             Re: Who wants to program ASP.NET applications? - (pwhysall)
         I do a little ASP now and then... - (ChrisR) - (5)
             Desire and need - (orion) - (4)
                 Don't go with an open-source license... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                     The obnoxious licence - (orion) - (2)
                         Re: The obnoxious licence - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Re: The obnoxious licence - (orion)

Given enough shellac, even turds can be polished.
49 ms