IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I wonder.
Hugh N writes:
The germ of ideas can be planted with comics. Thoughts can be instilled in the general populace by a talented artist(think Berke Breathed or Bill Watterson) without the artist being pilloried for treason. At worst the artist can fall back to "It's just a freaking comic... Don't have a cow, man". Publish a paper critical of government or political people/processes on the internet, and you might have the Fumbling Bumbling Imbeciles breathing down your neck. Publish a comic in hundreds of news papers saying the same thing, the president will probaly read it while eating his Wheaties, and you are still pretty much safe. It's just a comic, man...
Hmm... I wonder which line, "Thoughts can be instilled" or "It's just a comic, man" the creator of [link|http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.htm|The Boondocks] would have to fall back on -- even here, with this self-professedly rather cerebral group?

Wanna bet against my hunch that several among us will lose their sense of perspective (ironosadly, precisely what he's trying to restore), and start frothing at the mouth a little, at the strips for, say [link|http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_fn=1&uc_full_date=20011004|October fourth], [link|http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_fn=1&uc_full_date=20011005|October fifth], or [link|http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_fn=1&uc_full_date=20011006|October sixth]?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New I would suppose both...
For those that appreciate, though perhaps not necessarily enjoy, the former. For those with no sense of humor or irony, it's just a freaking comic, man... I wouldn't think too many of the latter, around here, but WTF do I know?
Regards,
Hugh
New Legitimate copout?
See Drook's virtuoso quip in Oh Pun:

A sufficiency unto itself: to turn out legions of former infotainers.. to walk the streets behind shopping carts, laden with unused Owl entrails.. with only their murky crystal balls for company -

O O
     Monsters, Inc. - (admin) - (49)
         SSSCA - (kmself) - (45)
             Ironic considering who used to work there. -NT - (ben_tilly)
             *shrug* - (admin) - (43)
                 Disney's intent - (kmself) - (42)
                     "Support"? - (wharris2) - (2)
                         Excuse me, but I do it - (ben_tilly)
                         Readily - (kmself)
                     Re: Disney's intent - (admin) - (38)
                         Those who consort with villians - (kmself) - (37)
                             That's naive. - (admin) - (36)
                                 The power of individual action - (kmself) - (35)
                                     Excuse me... - (bepatient) - (29)
                                         Pixar - (kmself) - (28)
                                             Question? - (ChrisR) - (27)
                                                 (Half of) the second, and the third, is my theory: - (CRConrad)
                                                 Context of copyright law and free software - (kmself) - (25)
                                                     Grammar police - (drewk) - (24)
                                                         To continue in that vein, "impact"... - (CRConrad) - (16)
                                                             Heard a new mangling of language today. - (Meerkat) - (15)
                                                                 Quote from Calvin and Hobbes. - (static) - (14)
                                                                     Hmmm Wattersen read some Sufi aphorisms (?) - (Ashton) - (13)
                                                                         No idea. - (static) - (12)
                                                                             If that's your reading of the ripostes in Calvin & Hobbes.. - (Ashton) - (11)
                                                                                 ... it was entirely from memory. - (static) - (10)
                                                                                     Not a problem.. - (Ashton) - (9)
                                                                                         Re: 'comics' be our only public philosophy exercise - (hnick) - (8)
                                                                                             Bug in board software - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                                                                                 Thanks... -NT - (hnick)
                                                                                             My sentiments perzackly.. Comics are our last bastion. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                 Ghod, no! - (mhuber) - (1)
                                                                                                     Hmmm.. yer right! Recognize --> Homogenize--> Assimilate! :[ - (Ashton)
                                                                                             I wonder. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                                                 I would suppose both... - (hnick)
                                                                                                 Legitimate copout? - (Ashton)
                                                         Writing for effect - (kmself) - (6)
                                                             Suitably sated serendipity - (Ashton)
                                                             A lessening impact. - (static) - (4)
                                                                 Forther flogging of the deceased equine - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                     That's a fascinating piece of trivia. - (static) - (1)
                                                                         Maybe adj. too - 'impacted tooth'? :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 A noble distinction I share; imagine bein deemed a Marketer! -NT - (Ashton)
                                     Disney the big bad corporation - (admin) - (1)
                                         Was also involved with... - (ChrisR)
                                     The individual has what? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                         Well.. a letter to Kottar-Kotelly just now - (Ashton)
                                         Re: The individual has what? - (admin)
         Took the family... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Heh, I noticed the same thing. :-) -NT - (admin)
         Good film; however, - (orion)

I'm sure when this came out, it was better than whatever else was out. Want to play chess with me, son? No way, Dad.
365 ms