IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's not you - it's an incompatable .dll issue.
Y'see, his worldview .dll file is close enough to ours that we think we're communicating - but his parsed messages keep tossing exceptions of all sorts. Not only that, but he refuses to acknowledge that there is even the possibility that his .dll might be corrupted - just as ours might, I'm willing to acknowledge - and he seems totally unwilling to admit that there might even be other, valid .dll versions out there.

Hmm, wonder who wrote that one, Micros~1? Naw, the code is too tight. Maybe IBM?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New :)
anyone got some md5's I can check against?
New Facile dismissals from the peanut gallery?
If this is the best you can do, why do you bother?

If two DLL's are incompatible, how do you tell which one is broken? I'll give you a hint or two. Personal viewpoints are not legitimately part of the troubleshooting process. Factual data points are. And just which side has been producing the bulk of those in this forum?

(Or could it be you're still sore about how I bested you in free and open debate a few weeks ago? That was your own fault, you know. One lesson you should have taken away from that was to be better prepared next time. Another was: don't try to have it both ways. If it's okay for us to make brutal bloody war against terrorist nations now, it was okay before now, for the same reasons. Consider the consequences of our actions? Our actions are the consequences of their actions, both now and previously.)

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote.
I acknowledged that either my or your viewpoint could be the wrong one - in fact, indirectly I admitted that we could BOTH be wrong, which is a hell of a lot more than I've ever seen out of you. In fact, I can't think of any time that I've ever seen you admit that you made a mistake. That's why a lot of people don't bother replying to you anymore - when a stubborn close-minded person and an idiot argue, it's easy to tell who the idiot is. :)

Your "factual data points" have mainly been taken by grabbing the key sentences from somebody else's post that back up your particular viewpoint, and then blatantly ignoring everything else they've been saying. I pretty much stopped responding to you not because I was taking a drubbing, but because I was tired of fighting somebody who wouldn't respond to legitimate questions, and instead only picked the battles that they wanted to fight, then proclaimed themselves the winner. That's not how real wars are fought - you fight on all the fronts you HAVE to, not just the ones you WANT to.

I'll admit I'm not the best debater in the world. IWETHEY is the first time I've really spoken up for myself and my beliefs, and I'm still coming to terms with conflicts between the "real world" and what I see as the "way things should be, if we'd all stop acting like a bunch of animals, and actually gave a damn about each other." If you'd actually read what I'd said, instead of having your typical knee-jerk reaction to anybody who disagrees with you, you'd see that the only beef I have with you isn't that you have the "wrong" worldview - it's that you're not willing to give even an inch and admit that there's a possibility that somebody else MIGHT be right.

And that's the point where a debate devolves into an argument.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New No. Factual data points are cites of news articles.
See, this is the crucial difference between a valid point and a mere opinion. A valid point has some grounding in fact. I generally start with a news article or historical article. Sometimes I start with an editorial, which I admit is second best, but it's always one that references verifiable fact, and has a lucid argument. You start with opinion, pointedly ignore my cites while providing none of your own, and make everything about you and your opininon vs. me and what you would dismiss as merely my opinion.

Look around. Who's providing the bulk of article cites here? Hint: it's not you, and it's not anyone who sees things your way. Now why is that?

Yes, I might be wrong. But because I start with facts, I'm far less likely to be wrong than you are. I do on occasion admit that I'm wrong. But not to people who argue the way you do, for the simple reason that you haven't got what it takes to show me wrong. And it's not that I don't respond to legitimate questions. It's that you don't ask them.

I don't mind that you don't know how to argue a case logically. We all have to start somewhere, and it does take practise. Your failing is this: you have the gall to blame those who best you for not letting you win. With this attitude, how will you ever improve your skill level? And what of the truth? This is a free and open debate, not a mutual affirmation society. Those who are best prepared prevail here, not those who parrot the correct views. You're supposed to rise to the occasion. And to date, you have not.

It's not all about you and your posts, or me and my posts. It's not even primarily about you and your posts, or me and my posts. It's about what's actually going on out there in the outside world. And if you can't or won't grasp that, whose fault is that?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New Everyone needs something to believe in
And if it's in the news, it must be true.
How to mangle the truth;

Have it reported by any major U.S. media outlet.
New WTF?
"Look around. Who's providing the bulk of article cites here? Hint: it's not you, and it's not anyone who sees things your way. Now why is that?"

How many "facts" are there?

Bush signed it.

What "facts" are you refering to?
New You raise some good points...
...and unfortunately, some that I don't have time to handle properly right now.

Yeah, I know I don't cite much. Problem is mainly due to time - As a full time worker/college student, this is pretty much my sole "entertainment" source lately. Maybe in about a year, when I'm done with college, I'll have more time to go digging through different sites looking for articles to back up my position. My comment about getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night for the past two weeks is unfortunately too accurate, and I wish it was due to something enjoyable.

I agree that you post a lot more "raw data points" than others in the form of newslinks - but I've also seen you grab one sentence out of a whole paragraph that somebody else cites, then dismiss the rest as an "incoherent rant" without explaining WHY you think its an "incoherent rant." IIRC, in formal logic studies, there's a specific name for that kind of fallacy, but it doesn't come to mind at present.

I'll also admit that it's possible I missed seeing you admit that you've been in error. I can't recall ever seeing such a post, but I'll admit the possibility. If you want to point it out to me, fine, if not, I'll take your word as a man of honor. Oddly enough, I do respect you as somebody who at least stands behind what they say. A lot more than can be said for one other person who didn't respond to a certain chess challenge a bit back... (No, not the two of you who are currently playing me - in fact, I wasn't the challenger...)

As far as the "blaming others for not letting you win" bit - I mentioned merely that you and I have incompatible .dll structures, and that from my viewpoint, you don't appear to have room to admit that other possible .dll structures exist. I probably did overstep that a bit - like all dogmas, (including my own!) they cannot accept the existence of a dogma that is not subservient to their own. I'd like to improve my debate skills, I'm just realizing that right now, it's counterproductive for me to worry about debate when I've got homework. :) I keep bouncing into arguments when my emotions get the better of me, and then bounce out when I realize I've got 1k lines of code due the next morning, which does give kind of a scattered appearance. :( Sorry if I've given the impression that I'm blaming you for my inability to debate.

I think the largest disconnect between you and me, however, comes on a philosophical level - we seem to disagree on a pretty deep level exactly what we should and should not do in response to recent world events. You might be surprised, if I ever ran off at the mouth, just what I would be willing to do in order to put an end to this threat once and for all, just as I have expressed my surprise at the actions you seem willing to do. In the end, however, we are ultimately on the same side - we do not wish to have threats to civilization wandering around Out There. Barbarians at the Gate, et al.

For now, I'll TRY to stop firing blanks into the crouds... And just chuck a few grenades when I find live ones.
New Okay, fair enough.
I know what insomnia is like. But I'd forgotten you were a sufferer. I'd have been a lot less confrontational otherwise. Apologies and regrets for that. As for time pressure, I have a different way of dealing with that. I choose subjects where the facts are readily at hand, and pass on discussions of other topics.

But a couple of points:

1. This is a topic where data points can be had just by perusing the news and commentary sites, then perhaps following up with Google. It's a bit exceptional in that regard, but there it is.

2. I only call something incoherent if it does not, in fact, cohere. Bad sentence structure, excessive use of glittering generalizations, a smokescreen of emotionally freighted adjectives, and the repeated failure to link conclusion to premise in any fashion, all are symptoms of a lack of coherency. And when any or all these things are in abundant evidence, I say "incoherent rant" because that's precisely what it is. To ask one to explain "why this is an incoherent rant" is like insisting on an explanation of why two plus two must equal four, or just what basis has someone got for telling you that your fly is unzipped. The obvious is not only factual in itself, but is a starting point to finding the non-obvious truths. If you can't admit and acknowledge the obvious, how can you ever get anywhere in the neighborhood of truth?

Expand Edited by marlowe Nov. 19, 2001, 09:17:54 PM EST
New Sorry but.. (again)
Most 'issues' worth discussing at all - are rarely solvable via some succession of Authorized-facts or their little cousins, factoids.

You might wish it otherwise (and it seems - you do). Neither Google nor the Library of Congress possess sufficient Facts to solve most homo-sap problems du jour. For just one Factual Example: attribution of 'motive' is basic to our sysetem of 'justice' (another Duesy of a notion in its very concept). Now Shakespeare has given us a rich source of possible remedies - with nary a Fact being required - all one needs is to acquire Wisdom ;-)

Facts can.. settle some issues of time, place - and possible motive. But where human behavior is the 'issue' -- facts have damn little to do with events, except afterwards: is it a fact that such and such occurred. More examples? Start with Rashomon for a primer.

IMhO - it doesn't matter if your self-bestowed Logic Skills\ufffd are real or imagined factoids. Your view appears to be about duelling Facts and not about (as my Mater used to say) arriving at the truth of matters through discussion, or so it appears.

The Doberman Pinscher School of assertion? OK in a dogfight. If ya like discussing philosophy with dogs? Oh Alpha Male.

Ashton
Woof!
New If you don't much care for facts...
I wonder if you have an alternative in mind?

You can't have a discussion without something to discuss. Are you suggesting we discuss mere opinions? Opinions are meaningless in a vacuum. Yes, mine too.

New Facts are important too,
in issues - especially where there are contradictory versions. But once an issue is defined, then next, most often what is needed - is some insight into the issue. Often that is about - what homo-saps often do in ____ situations.

Offhand I see little place for further facts at that stage - and damn little about Winning, either. Thus I don't understand your preoccupation with facts - since no one ever could hear all of those; we always decide upon ~insufficient data. Or never decide at all.

A.
     Give Tribunals a Try - (marlowe) - (29)
         Fascism: Not as bad as you've been led to believe. - (Brandioch) - (23)
             In the midst of this incoherent rant, one interesting bit... - (marlowe) - (22)
                 Incoherent to you. - (Brandioch) - (21)
                     It's not you - it's an incompatable .dll issue. - (inthane-chan) - (11)
                         :) - (Brandioch)
                         Facile dismissals from the peanut gallery? - (marlowe) - (9)
                             Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote. - (inthane-chan) - (8)
                                 No. Factual data points are cites of news articles. - (marlowe) - (7)
                                     Everyone needs something to believe in - (Silverlock)
                                     WTF? - (Brandioch)
                                     You raise some good points... - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                                         Okay, fair enough. - (marlowe) - (3)
                                             Sorry but.. (again) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 If you don't much care for facts... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                     Facts are important too, - (Ashton)
                     Re: Incoherent to you. - (Steven A S) - (8)
                         You're partially correct. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                             Sounds reasonable to me - (drewk) - (5)
                                 Which brings us full circle. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                     On the effect of propoganda - (drewk) - (3)
                                         You're shifting focus. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                             You left out a few parts from the analogy - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 Think about that. - (Brandioch)
                             Re: You're partially correct. - (Steven A S)
         Interesting. Falls apart quickly though. - (Silverlock)
         Secret tribunals for non american citizens no prob until - (boxley) - (1)
             Finally something resembling an actual point. - (marlowe)
         WashPost - Mallaby OpEd - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks - a memorable triumph of reason over 'facts' - (Ashton)

Battling CRC is the honor of Viking combat!
72 ms