IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ambidexterity (-trousness?) is good too
When I first started fencing in college, I attended two classes, suiting up left-handed for one and right-handed for the other. I learned to be pretty good either way. Some left-handed folk were definitely easier to beat left-handed.

And two swords is definitely a blast!

Giovanni
Have whatever values you have. That's what America is for.
You don't need George Bush for that.
New I find reach is king.
Give me a 6' naginata or greatsword - let all the nasty stuff happen before they get close enough to hurt me. :)
"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
New Go all the way, then... Spear!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Done that.
The problem is, in one-on-one if somebody can get inside the blade reach, you're in trouble. A naginata is essentially a 3' sword on a 3' stick, giving you reach without losing blade length and the cutting edge. A longspear and/or polearm only gives you a short blade that is almost useless for slashing, and good for pointing at somebody and hoping they run into it. This works great in a phalanx arrangement, but horribly when you're on your own.
"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
New My favorite
I got the East Earl-Marshall to approve ricasso points on a greatsword - and if the edge was padded as a flamberge, he allowed a grip further up than the 18" handle. It was either a pole arm you could swing from the end, or a greatsword with a handle longer than 18"... Such a fun weapon! Much better for close-work than a standard greatsword. The only thing it fell short on was no hook for pulling away shields in melee.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Left handedness, inheritance and violence - (Silverlock) - (20)
         South-paws in the highlands. - (static) - (19)
             Could it've been better defence against ascending swordsmen? -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                 Yes :-) Did I forget to say that? -NT - (static)
             I know lefties are a pita to fight - (imric) - (16)
                 But watching lefties fight is amusing - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                     *grin* Not good to be on the receiving end, though. - (imric) - (9)
                         Florentine is not period? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                             Very late. - (imric) - (6)
                                 "can't play the same role"...? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Exactly! - (imric)
                                 short sabre and a sheperds crook - (daemon) - (3)
                                     Tee hee. - (imric) - (2)
                                         It does tire though - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             Heck yeah. - (imric)
                             That, and there was this guy in 17th century Japan... - (inthane-chan)
                 Ambidexterity (-trousness?) is good too - (GBert) - (4)
                     I find reach is king. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Go all the way, then... Spear! -NT - (imric) - (2)
                             Done that. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 My favorite - (imric)

I could go on Oprah touting his evilness. Write articles. I would be famous. Fat, but famous.
55 ms