IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Side note.
Somebody is going to get killed because their architecture barely runs on computers with 512mb of memory.

I think you can figure out who I'm talking about.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Muah.
Who else loves it when Thane posts a "side note" to a discussion about "them"...? ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Moi, for one.
New Is most amusing.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New I don't get it...
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how .NET could need 512 megs of RAM. The worst-case I can think of is if you move to IA64 (doubling memory usage because of the doubling of pointer size), and then the garbage collector is tuned shamefully badly (again doubling memory usage). Together that would take a system needing 128 MB to 512 MB.

But I don't think that IA32 is going to die for a few more years yet, and I'd expect a great deal of interest in tuning gc performance since memory locality is so critical to decent software performance.

What am I missing?
New I don't get it either.
I'm just reporting what I'm hearing here. I honestly am not doing much work with the subject.

The words "managed code" keep getting bandied about when asked why.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Kitchen sink...
As with all things MS, they like to bundle everything together. The .net VM probably doesn't require much memory, but when you pile on all the libraries, utilities, features, etc... you probably end up with .net having everything from a browser, a media player, photographic development, etc...

I'm sure they're ready to go on record as saying that all these peripheral features are a core part of .net and can not be removed.
New I bet it's issues with the Virtual Machine.
I suspect there are two distinct issues.

The first is that when you have a language designed to target a virtual machine, which is what C# is, then efforts to compile it all the way to assembly can result in bloated code. If the compiler doesn't get a lot of use by the great unwashed, then the compilation step probably needs optimizing anyway. Icon suffers from both halves of this problem.

The second issue is that Microsoft's C compilers don't produce wonderfully compact assembly. Now, my observations are from several years ago, remember, but the amount of compiler cruft at the start and end of a procedure in assembly was quite amazing. And it was worse because it was in Windows. Coupled with the fact that Microsoft applications seem to be Very Large for their function, well, now we have a situation.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

J2EE vs. Microsoft.NET - (cforde) - (28)
         Security is simple either via net or java - (boxley) - (4)
             That is a procedural model of security - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 Actually J2EE uses a declarative model - (bluke)
                 Hmmm...got any other links? - (tseliot) - (1)
                     Sorry... - (ben_tilly)
         .NET replays the ActiveX fiasco - (neelk) - (22)
             Side note. - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Muah. - (admin) - (2)
                     Moi, for one. -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Is most amusing. -NT - (static)
                 I don't get it... - (neelk) - (3)
                     I don't get it either. - (inthane-chan)
                     Kitchen sink... - (ChrisR)
                     I bet it's issues with the Virtual Machine. - (static)
             Re: .NET replays the ActiveX fiasco - (Squidley) - (13)
                 Interesting list - (ChrisR) - (7)
                     Oh, so it was YOU! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         rephrasing? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                             I take it you *do* know what I'm referring to - (CRConrad)
                     Re: Interesting list - (Squidley) - (3)
                         Viruses and verified security holes - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Re: Viruses and verified security holes - (Squidley) - (1)
                                 ActiveX is actually one thing... - (Arkadiy)
                 Re: .NET replays the ActiveX fiasco - (neelk) - (3)
                     EzBug hangover? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Finger habits are hard to break. :) -NT - (neelk)
                     typo fix - (neelk)
                 Re: .NET replays the ActiveX fiasco - (pwhysall)

SHUT THAT BLOODY BOUZOUKI UP!
78 ms