IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Time to visit Dallas Gold and Silver Exchange
You'll need to keep your money in foreign currency or gold/silver/titanium/oil/commodities as the currency free falls. The dollars won't buy as much.

Interest rates have been going up because of the dollar's fall, to prevent an auction where noone buys U.S. debt. Has nothing to do with the state of the economy.

On the same note, we've had deflation for some time in parts of the country (Texas, Midwest), but it's been "masked" by inflation in other parts of the country. With incentives, it appears I can buy a better minivan in 2004 for less money than I did in 1998. In 1998, I bought a 3,000 mile Windstar with cloth seats for about $22,000. Now, the sticker for a Town & Country is $25,000, with $3,000 incentives and we haven't even started negotiating yet. And the van has leather and DVD, things we didn't get on the 1998 Windstar. The government has been hiding the deflation/stagflation as they've been hiding the job losses (or the dollar value of the jobs lost).

Other countries should dock our currency for lies we tell in inflation and jobs alone.

Glen Austin

New dont put a lot into gold, just mad money
ignore the falling dollar, wont mean much to you (or me) except if you live to buy foreign cars. Find a couple of investments that beat inflation and the banks that is rock solid and play a holding game.
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New What is the dollar going to be falling against?
Investing in that other thing would seem to be a good idea...

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Commodities and Assets
In 1980, silver was $50 an ounce. Gold was $900 an ounce. It had bottomed out after Y2K at about $4 an ounce, and has been steadily climbing, now just above $7 an ounce. Gold was down around $300 an ounce, but I think it's above $400 now.

If U.S. debt becomes "high risk", look for silver, gold, real estate, and other commodities to soar. Interest rates will soar, inflation will skyrocket as foriegn good will quickly become expensive.

We need to be paying down our federal debt, not running perennial deficits.

Glen
New In 1980 the Hunt brothers were going for broke
They got there as well. :-)

That $50/ounce for silver in 1980 represents fools parting themselves from a lot of money. It does not represent any sort of intrinsic value for silver. Furthermore commodities tend to be rather volatile but not very good long-term investments. From 1979 to now silver went from $5/ounce to $7 or so. From 1979 to 2003 it would have to get to $13.48 just to keep up with inflation. As you'll note, it didn't do that.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Sing it in the red states dude
You Xtians are an expensive, bankrupting, homewrecking, heartbreaking, mean-spirited, greedy, self-indulgent lot of assholes. So live with your profligacy while your irreal soul is rotting away in some self-created imagined hell of your non-existent sky-pie worthless chickenshit God. Let Him battle with the Infidel Islamists, the mad bombers and airplane crashing murderers you have so very much in common with.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Nov. 8, 2004, 08:42:12 PM EST
New Non-seq
What are you on about this time?

No republicans, women, christians or islamists....

whats that leave...

Soon I think you'll have pared that number down to...

Beeps guest list ;-)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: Non-seq
Yes, and that's in jeopardy. I'm rather disgusted with the entire lot.
-drl
New Take yer meds.
Cool it, Ross.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
New get knowed up on gold
[link|http://www.goldensextant.com/LandisAMA.html|http://www.goldensex...om/LandisAMA.html]
The only problem with the inflation hedge theory is that it doesn\ufffdt work. Throughout history, both at times when gold was tied to legal tender, and at times when it wasn\ufffdt, gold has been a poor hedge against inflation. Indeed, it has consistently lost purchasing power during periods of inflation, and gained it during periods of deflation. This was the impeccably supported conclusion of the late Roy Jastram, who, in a book entitled The Golden Constant,[7] rigorously analyzed the purchasing power of gold in England and the United States from 1560 to 1976.

now the drier but best research Ive seen on gold
read the links then pull the prices.
Compare the prices to the commodity prices of food clothing housing etc then extrapolate to today.
regards,
daemon

that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New Re: What is the dollar going to be falling against?
Look at the Euro
was worth $.89 when it came out
today $1.29
almost 50% increase in value
or a big decline for US $

A

Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Exactly where I was heading. :-)
Even better yet, don't buy a foreign currency, buy debt denominated in that currency. You're betting on the exchange rate shift, and you're going to be earning interest in case that doesn't work out.

Cheers,
Ben
New deflation is already in Houston
even though the weekend Chronicle keeps crowing about record sales of new homes, I checked with a real estate agent neighbor to see what my house could list for. After a CMA, she said that we could sell it for around $20,000 less than we paid for it 22 months ago, and then all of the fees involved in a real estate transaction take their cut before I would see one penny. So I'm looking at around a $40,000 loss right now if I have to sell.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
     Wow, look at the US dollar - (jake123) - (25)
         Canadian fluctuated 4% - (Arkadiy) - (24)
             Just wait. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                 Euro's up another cent today vs USD - (jake123) - (22)
                     This will be "interesting" to watch - (ben_tilly) - (21)
                         Bring it on. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         Catastrophe theory - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Feh. - (pwhysall)
                         I don't think it will be the bare fact of him winning - (jake123) - (1)
                             Wow, you're bumming me almost as much as Ben does. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                         Hope it happens a repeat of the eighties - (daemon) - (13)
                             Time to visit Dallas Gold and Silver Exchange - (gdaustin) - (12)
                                 dont put a lot into gold, just mad money - (daemon) - (10)
                                     What is the dollar going to be falling against? - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                         Commodities and Assets - (gdaustin) - (6)
                                             In 1980 the Hunt brothers were going for broke - (ben_tilly)
                                             Sing it in the red states dude - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                 Non-seq - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     Re: Non-seq - (deSitter)
                                                 Take yer meds. - (pwhysall)
                                             get knowed up on gold - (daemon)
                                         Re: What is the dollar going to be falling against? - (andread) - (1)
                                             Exactly where I was heading. :-) - (ben_tilly)
                                 deflation is already in Houston - (lincoln)
                         And all this will make US goods and services more... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             It would help if ... - (mmoffitt)

Brought to you by the Tennessee Valley Authority!
165 ms