IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New True
But I have a headache and am not up for searching right now, (that takes more work than just posting), and I'm not sure what the submission process requires. If it requires any personal information or registration, I probably can't do it.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: I just thought it was funny and that you all here might like it. :)

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 4, 2004, 12:16:47 AM EST
New This is an odd thing to say.
As I’ve noted before, for the purposes of web site registration, it is but the work of a fleeting moment to become an elderly zillionaress working in the military/industrial complex from her secret underground lair in Hawaii.

They only know what you tell Them.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
New Re: This is an odd thing to say.
As I’ve noted before, for the purposes of web site registration, it is but the work of a fleeting moment to become an elderly zillionaress working in the military/industrial complex from her secret underground lair in Hawaii.

They only know what you tell Them.

I realize that, but I won't give false information to a website. For me, that's being deceitful, sorry. Plus, John checks out every website that I want to be part of, signed into, etc, and if he doesn't like their policies and what info they want, I don't get on them. Not even if it's one I really want on, because it's our agreement. Just one more way I stay safer on the internet.

Brenda

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
New /me falls over.

Peter
New Funny - I won't give true information to a website
Because I don't trust them.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
New We don't trust many
But John checks it out, and checks out the privacy policy, and as long as they don't want a whole lot of information, it's usually okay.

Besides, most websites we ever give information to, we buy something from, so we have to give them a real address and such, or we can't get our merchandise.

Any others, I either usually know the person running it, or can use an e-mail address that isn't a big deal if it gets compromised. If they just need an email, that's easier. It's sites that we aren't buying from that want a real address or phone number that we don't get on. Or if they say they'll give or sell our information to anyone, we don't get on them.

For example, there is a website I would like to be on, but they want more info than John is comfortable with, and they also claim they can do whatever they want with the info. So I can only read the public areas of that site. (Fortunately, there are some).

We don't do things like online banking or bill paying online, or anything that requires really serious information, so we're safer in that regard.

Brenda

New I'm an 85 yr old retired woman from Beverly Hills
I'm Mrs. Drysdale, in other words.
-drl
New From this & other posts John sounds like a...
very...creepy...guy.

Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New I do the same for my wife.
She just trusts me more to read the legalese. Of course, if I don't like their privacy policy (and I don't like most), I just grab some random junk account, make a throwaway password, and get in anyways.
Let the president answer a higher anarchy/Strap him with an Ak-47, let him go, fight his own war/Let him impress daddy that way/No more blood for oil, we got our own battles to fight on our own soil/No more psychological warfare, to trick us to thinking that we ain't loyal/If we don't serve our own country, we're patronizing a hero/Look in his eyes its all lies/The stars and stripes, they've been swiped, washed out and wiped/And replaced with his own face, Mosh now or die!
New this way?
if he doesn't like their policies and what info they want, I don't get on them. Not even if it's one I really want on.
Fortunate the man with so meekly subservient a mate! Or is he?

cordially,
New John is "code" for Ayatollah.
bcnu,
Mikem

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell
New If you think that absence of f-word
makes this kind of personal insults acceptable outside of Flame forum, you are mistaken. Take this crap where it belongs.
--

This guy's ahead of his time! He's using quantum programming methods: in universes where invalid data is passed to this function, it does not return. Thus you are ensured that you will only have valid data after calling it. Optimally you'd destroy the universe on failure, but computers haven't quite advanced to that level yet.

-- [link|http://thedailywtf.com/archive/2004/10/26/2920.aspx|The] Daily WTF

New since it wasn't an insult (new thread)
Created as new thread #182860 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=182860|since it wasn't an insult]
New He knows more about their policies
And I trust him. It might surprise you to know, that I don't even use a credit card and charge anything or take any money out of the bank without asking him, unless it's an emergency.

I don't see the problem, Rand. It works fine for us.

Brenda

New you are just fine, do it the way you feel comfortable
hein and sheein is in the way here, some men and women couldnt grok a life like that and it "creeps them out" thats fine too.
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New Thanks :)
I realize that too. Many people can't understand it when a couple is truly a couple, and shares everything and discusses everything.

When we went to dinner Halloween night, which was 6 years from the night he proposed to me there, there was this guy there. He overheard us telling the waitress that John had proposed to me 6 years ago that day in that restaurant. He said Wow, that was impressive, that we came there every year on Halloween, that it was romantic, and we were obviously happy and in love, and he wished more people were like that in the world instead of always fighting and scrapping.

He was really amazed by us, and it hit me that yeah he's right, you don't hear about as many happy marriages as you do about the unhappy ones. I'm sure there are lots of happy ones out there, but I guess they aren't as publicized.

Brenda

New Been there, done that
While there is a feeling of security in being "clinging monkeys", your relationship is healthier, more secure (even if it doesn't feel that way!), and more satisfying if you can transition into one where each person asserts him/herself more freely. Perhaps when you've reached my point (another 9 years) you'll understand. Odds are that this is something that you'll have to learn for yourself.

A simple exercise can give you a sense of why. Try standing together, each on their own two feet, arms around each other. If you lean into the other person then every time the other person has to adjust you have to compensate. Neither of you is balanced. If you each have your weight on your own feet, you are more secure because you don't have to worry about the other person's shifts of weight.

The real point is that when you're bound by your insecurities, it is very threatening for each of you if your partner attempts to address their insecurities. Personal growth threatens the foundation of the relationship! At some point you'll become aware that it feels kind of like, "I wake up every morning and hit myself so that my arm remains broken to give an excuse for someone to take care of me. Wouldn't it hurt less and work better to let my arm heal and then take care of myself?" To which the answer is a resounding and terrifying, Yes!

If you reach this point you'll be faced with a stark choice - grow together or grow apart. And the choice isn't yours. Once you're dissatisfied with being so scared, you will grow, and whether that leads to a stronger or a weaker relationship depends on how your husband reacts. (His initial reaction will be to block it, it is just as scary a process for him as for you.)

Of course you may not be the one to threaten the current balance. He may become dissatisfied. Once that nagging feeling starts gnawing at him, it won't go easily. At some point he'll do the equivalent of stepping away in the metaphor above about standing holding each other. And you'll either have to learn to stand on your own feet or else fall over. (Hint: It is easier to learn to do that if you initiate the growth process...)

A book recommend. [link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805058265/104-0819767-5855900?v=glance|Passionate Marriage] is an excellent book about how healthy relationships continue to grow and develop.

Cheers,
Ben

PS I don't expect you to believe anything that I've said here. But if you're still happily married in a decade, it may make a lot more sense to you then.
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Couldn't help but notice
The publisher:
Publisher: Owl Books (NY); Reprint edition (May 1, 1998)

--
Steve
New ROTFL, hadn't noticed that :-)
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Read my description in FQ
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=183082|http://z.iwethey.org...?contentid=183082]

It describes our marriage in what Greg called, a working marriage, and I believe that is what we have. And we also believe it's something you keep working on, not something you just have and let go. It's something you have to work on every day, to have a good marriage.

While there is a feeling of security in being "clinging monkeys", your relationship is healthier, more secure (even if it doesn't feel that way!), and more satisfying if you can transition into one where each person asserts him/herself more freely. Perhaps when you've reached my point (another 9 years) you'll understand. Odds are that this is something that you'll have to learn for yourself.

We already assert ourselves very freely. If I really care about something, he'll listen to my arguments and determine if it's doable. If he does, I do the same. In the case of the site we discussed, he agreed to check it out again, as it appears to be in a better state than when we saw it in a state of disarray, and he has agreed to let me on it now, because it no longer says it will do whatever it wants with our info. Yay!

A simple exercise can give you a sense of why. Try standing together, each on their own two feet, arms around each other. If you lean into the other person then every time the other person has to adjust you have to compensate. Neither of you is balanced. If you each have your weight on your own feet, you are more secure because you don't have to worry about the other person's shifts of weight.

We might try that sometime, but I trust him both when leaning on him and when we're both standing on our own feet as well. We don't control one another, we cooperate with one another. Or as many many people have said, we complement one another... or is that the compliment word? I've honestly never known which.

The real point is that when you're bound by your insecurities, it is very threatening for each of you if your partner attempts to address their insecurities. Personal growth threatens the foundation of the relationship! At some point you'll become aware that it feels kind of like, "I wake up every morning and hit myself so that my arm remains broken to give an excuse for someone to take care of me. Wouldn't it hurt less and work better to let my arm heal and then take care of myself?" To which the answer is a resounding and terrifying, Yes!

I used to be one of those people. I used to expect to be taken care of. I used to be needy and dependent, I even used to be clingy and possessive. All of those things are more or less gone or so changed that I don't have these feelings or fears anymore.

I'm not bound by my insecurities anymore, and haven't been insecure about John since his ex-girlfriend finally left our life and stopped tormenting me. She was good at finding chinks in my armor and causing those insecurities to fester. However, when she finally showed her true colors to him, he showed her the door out of their friendship forever. I even allowed another female friend of his(who actually stated at our wedding, that she should have been marrying him instead), into my Yahoo group, because I trust my husband.

We have our individual areas of personal growth, and he has sites he reads and deals with and I have my own, as well as we have the ones we share. He doesn't read everything here, for example, and I don't read everything on every site he's on.

I do not feel I need him to take care of me, except in extreme circumstances, like when my aunt died and my family was in chaos. I feel like he will take care of me, because he loves me, but I also feel I can take care of myself in many respects. Maybe not all, I'm still not sure about my ability to be employed again, but there are many I am sure about. I simply trust him to guide my life in the areas he knows best about, and he trusts me to guide his in the ones I know best about.

The rest, well we experience those together, as an adventure, and learn together in the process. :) Some things we worked out long before we got married, and decided these were the guidelines we wanted in our marriage, and some things we learn on the fly. :)

If you reach this point you'll be faced with a stark choice - grow together or grow apart. And the choice isn't yours. Once you're dissatisfied with being so scared, you will grow, and whether that leads to a stronger or a weaker relationship depends on how your husband reacts. (His initial reaction will be to block it, it is just as scary a process for him as for you.)

We have grown together since we met, 8 years ago, and we continue to grow together. He waited 2 whole years before being able to be with me in the right way, and that was because he worked me through many things to get there. We aren't scared of growth, we embrace it.

Of course you may not be the one to threaten the current balance. He may become dissatisfied. Once that nagging feeling starts gnawing at him, it won't go easily. At some point he'll do the equivalent of stepping away in the metaphor above about standing holding each other. And you'll either have to learn to stand on your own feet or else fall over. (Hint: It is easier to learn to do that if you initiate the growth process...)

I don't think that will ever happen, because we constantly discuss the state of things. We always reassure one another of our love, and if there are any problems, we discuss them. We don't allow distance between us to be there very long, if the distance happens, we sit down and discuss it. Always have, and I believe we always will. If one of us is unhappy or restless or whatever, we talk, and work something out because that is what a good relationship is about, give and take and working things out together, compromising where we can and understanding where we can't.

I may read the book you suggested some day, Ben, but I consider that we have a wonderful, happy marriage, and we continue to grow in that every day. He even has become more integrated with members of my family, talking with them and enjoying their company, and he doesn't even have that with his own, as there is a sort of awkwardness there due to both parents having divorced and remarried. His mother couldn't believe the change he has shown about socializing and opening up since meeting me.

But anyway, you all don't want to hear about my happy marriage, and I didn't mean to elaborate so much on it either. It's just nice to have something positive to post about for a change today. It's not been a positive day online.

Brenda

Edit: P.S. Sorry it was so long, I've been trying to keep my posts more brief in here. I also thought initially, my post to Greg had been in here, but realized after sending, it was in FQ. It's been a confusing day, please forgive me.

Edit: fixed a couple other things.

Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 6, 2004, 12:41:38 AM EST
Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 6, 2004, 12:55:11 AM EST
New dam owl
aint nobodies bidness how you and hubby get along or not, you dont have to justify yourself because in the long run you aint gonna hookup with any of these mooks if something happens to John and in the short run it aint their bidness. Now If you bring up "hubby sed dat an I dont like it" you will get a boatlaod of crap advice, so the best thing is Im married thanx fer askin, no I dont do internet dates, next question and keep John out of it.
sheesh,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New Oh yeah, an if you keep it up
in about a year I will be expexcting a post discussing the length and contents of a bowel movement so try to keep the personal stuff to a minimum. And yes it has been discussed before by others before you got here.
regards,
daemon
New Nah, I won't
I don't intend to continue about it. I just got a little carried away tonight, like I said, because I've had nothing positive to deal with all day, and it was nice to be able to post postively about my marriage in here.

I'll do my best to get back to the brief posts. :)

You know what though, you guys give me a safe online haven. I truly feel safe here, and that's nice. :)

Brenda

New Two things.
1. I think I speak for a number of us when I say that I do not care to know about the inner workings of your marriage.
2. John (or rather, your presentation of him) is creepy.
3. You do not need to apologise for long posts.
4. I lied about “two things”.

Peter
New Sorry Peter
I just felt Ben had the wrong impression of it, and wanted to correct that.

And I appreciate your support here.

Brenda

New Do not confuse what I said with "support".
I have seen enough “perfect” relationships and marriages go horribly, spectacularly wrong to know that happiness is transitory.

Enjoy it while you have it.

Peter
New I meant in the other matter in FQ
Not this one.

Brenda

New Wall Street Journal article this week . .
. . says the marriage experts have given up trying to find a compatible couple - there are only incompatible couples.

They find incompatibility in about the same degree for both happy and unhappy mariages. The key to one or the other is conflict management rather than resolution which is considered unlikely more often than not.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I don't know your marriage
But when you say "John allows me this", big alarm bells go off.

Perhaps those are not justified, in which case enjoy. Perhaps they are.

However either way it was wrong for me to give you a lecture about it. It is your life to live.

My apologies,
Ben
New Apology accepted
And you're right, I shouldn't really say, "John allows me this" I should say instead, "our policy is that we don't do such and such", or "he prefers this or that and I understand that."

Have a good day Ben. :)

New There never will be a problem, unless you develop an opinion
of your own. Then there will be a problem because you won't know what to do with such a strange beast.

Cheers,
Ben
New I have plenty of my own opinions.
And we sit down and discuss anything that is really important to me, and when possible, we work out a compromise. The biggest problem about the site I wanted to be on, is it seems really unreliable and wants way too much information for me to just be able to read things.

It bothers me too, I just wish I could find a way to get in contact with someone on it, so that maybe they could update me when the updates aren't there (sometimes the site owner fails to get the updates in the public area, and then they wind up in the non-public area.

But hey, I cope. :)

I think the part that you don't all realize, maybe, is that John and I work everything out ahead of time, when possible. We have sat down and discussed how to handle various things in our marriage, including finances, internet, and etc. I trust him to have better knowledge of certain things, and he trusts me to have better knowledge of others. :) It works.

Brenda

New Does the site have a name?
New Re: Does the site have a name?
Yes, it's called Toni's Spoiler Site. It's for The Young And The Restless, so I figured you wouldn't be interested in what it was, sorry.

It's based in Canada.

[link|http://www.young-restless.com|http://www.young-restless.com]

Edit: I tried hard to locate a place to write an e-mail to the site owner, to ask if there was a way to get in touch with her about it when the updates are in the private section, but I can't seem to locate an email place anywhere on the site,to write her. and the forums seem to be run by different people, who have the questionable policy rules, which bothers John, that it's actually more than one host who would need access to my info if I get on the site itself.

Nightowl >8#

Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 5, 2004, 12:53:46 AM EST
New <shrug> It looks pretty standard to me. Not my style though.
New Hehe, I didn't think so
But guess what?

I went looking for the part that bothered John, (the site had been down for awhile and the privacy part was all screwed up), but instead, I couldn't find that part, but I actually finally FOUND Toni's e-mail address! Yay!!!

Persistence is always good, huh? Thanks for asking me about it, I wouldn't have searched again this quick on my own. :)

Brenda

New Re: I do the same for my wife.
She just trusts me more to read the legalese. Of course, if I don't like their privacy policy (and I don't like most), I just grab some random junk account, make a throwaway password, and get in anyways.

Exactly. And on some cases, John will do that too. I don't understand the legalese, so I let him read it. But he won't buy something from a site he doesn't trust, because he would have to give them our address and such. We have however, gotten someone else who doesn't care as much about the info being given out, to order for us at times from a site that isn't ok.

John isn't creepy. He's protective, and I like that. We agreed we would get me on the internet as long as I agreed to take his advice on what was safe to do or not, and I have no problem with that.

Brenda

News or Religion? - (Nightowl) - (42)
         Submit this to fark -NT - (Silverlock) - (39)
             Re: Submit this to fark - (Nightowl) - (38)
                 Yeah, but you know what Google is. -NT - (pwhysall) - (37)
                     True - (Nightowl) - (36)
                         This is an odd thing to say. - (pwhysall) - (35)
                             Re: This is an odd thing to say. - (Nightowl) - (34)
                                 /me falls over. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 Funny - I won't give true information to a website - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                     We don't trust many - (Nightowl)
                                     I'm an 85 yr old retired woman from Beverly Hills - (deSitter)
                                 From this & other posts John sounds like a... - (rcareaga) - (29)
                                     I do the same for my wife. - (inthane-chan) - (28)
                                         this way? - (rcareaga) - (26)
                                             John is "code" for Ayatollah. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                 If you think that absence of f-word - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                     since it wasn't an insult (new thread) - (rcareaga)
                                             He knows more about their policies - (Nightowl) - (22)
                                                 you are just fine, do it the way you feel comfortable - (daemon) - (15)
                                                     Thanks :) - (Nightowl) - (14)
                                                         Been there, done that - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                                                             Couldn't help but notice - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                                 ROTFL, hadn't noticed that :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                             Read my description in FQ - (Nightowl) - (10)
                                                                 dam owl - (daemon) - (2)
                                                                     Oh yeah, an if you keep it up - (daemon) - (1)
                                                                         Nah, I won't - (Nightowl)
                                                                 Two things. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                     Sorry Peter - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                                         Do not confuse what I said with "support". - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                             I meant in the other matter in FQ - (Nightowl)
                                                                             Wall Street Journal article this week . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                 I don't know your marriage - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     Apology accepted - (Nightowl)
                                                 There never will be a problem, unless you develop an opinion - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                     I have plenty of my own opinions. - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                         Does the site have a name? -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             Re: Does the site have a name? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                 <shrug> It looks pretty standard to me. Not my style though. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     Hehe, I didn't think so - (Nightowl)
                                         Re: I do the same for my wife. - (Nightowl)
         I don't get the coverage. - (FuManChu) - (1)
             Well, the article said it was to the lions - (Nightowl)

You hijacked the conversation. You get to land it.
129 ms