IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let me know who won
I'm giving up on current affairs. I have no hope for the country, but in a strangely liberating way, no longer any connection to it either. It means nothing to me, after this. I'm free.

Lord knows we tried.

Y'all be cool.
-drl
New I never had any hope
Not for "this country", anyway. That's meaningless to me. I have hope for individuals whom I know and care about. But not for a country.

Welcome to freedom.
New Re: I never had any hope
Unfortunately, there's a small matter of organizing a society in a non-corrupt, productive, healthy manner. What good is freedom if you starve?
-drl
New True. Just that my reading of history denies any hope.
New Dunno about you, but I learned something.
I'll have to give the marlowes, limbaughs, robertsons, etc. ad mucho nauseum some credit. To my horror, it turns out they were right about me. I am not your 'typical' American. It bothers me that we've killed 100,000 innocent people for a cause that cannot yet be articulated clearly. It bothers me that 100% of my income is subjected to a 16+% old folks tax (through FICA and medicare) and yet people making $90,000/year or more get to avoid that tax. It bothers me that no school system receiving federal funds can teach anything but abstinence in their human sexuality courses (aside: this is curious. Bush got the anti-abortion vote yet there were more abortions in his first term than there were in Clinton's last). It bothers me that a single penny of taxpayer money goes to a Senior's Drug benefit while 1 in 4 children have no healthcare coverage at all. It bothers me that, beginning with Reagan's firing of the ATC controllers (which, btw, resulted in the worst aviation deaths in flying history) effectively neutered unions perhaps forever. The incomprehensible acceleration of the polarization of wealth bothers me. It bothers me that we actually have to debate whether we want to grant a piece of state paper to any two people who love each other. I am, frankly, frightened of the trend we see of Fundamentalist Christianity increasing its influence on the body politic. I am embarrassed that a majority of my countrymen support a lawless President. For these reasons (and many others), I say marlowe and co. were right about me: I don't fit here.
bcnu,
Mikem

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell
New Dam son we all knew that but love ya anyway
very few of the people here fit anywhere, marlowe included.
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New Amen, bro! :)
Alex

In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet (1772-1834)
New If that ain't true... I dunnah belong heyah!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
New "I would never join a club that would accept me as member"
--

This guy's ahead of his time! He's using quantum programming methods: in universes where invalid data is passed to this function, it does not return. Thus you are ensured that you will only have valid data after calling it. Optimally you'd destroy the universe on failure, but computers haven't quite advanced to that level yet.

-- [link|http://thedailywtf.com/archive/2004/10/26/2920.aspx|The] Daily WTF

New Katha Pollit says it pretty well.
[link|http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/04/opinion/main653788.shtml|http://www.cbsnews.c.../main653788.shtml]
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
New Re: Katha Pollit says it pretty well.
(sent to me by co-worker)

I didn't write this, but it pretty much sums it up ...

-----Original Message-----

It would be difficult to fully communicate my disappointment in a simple email. On the other hand, slipping out into the hall and drowning myself in the mop bucket would mean that someone else would have to feed my dogs.

Kerry has not yet conceded defeat, but I have. Even if someone finds that crate full of votes for Kerry bobbing down the Cuyahoga River, the American people have spoken, and they have sent the world a message: "We're barely bright enough to chew our own food."

Incompetence, incoherence, inarticulateness, pettiness and random savagery apparently do not deter the majority of Americans. The thing that really, REALLY matters to Americans? Homos. And foreigners. Both must be stopped at any cost.

Americans voted overwhelmingly in favor of bigotry, amending state constitutions around the country to prevent same-sex couples from having any rights beyond the right to live on the margins of society. We clearly have far more to fear from The International Homosexual Conspiracy\ufffd than we do from North Korea and the collapse of the American health care system.

Apparently, we are truly a nation of slackjawed yokels, awed only by grotesque displays of wealth and violence, reverent only of the bossman and beholden not even to our children, since we seem content to mortgage their future in favor of a $300 tax refund that we have traded for decent jobs, healthcare, and a just society.

We make pious noises about worshipping a Just and Merciful God, while doling out destruction and horror upon the innocent, pausing only to pat ourselves on the back for waging a "just" war to rid the world of tyrants that audaciously aspire to exist after they lose their utility to us in endless low-level conflicts to control the world's oil supply.

We seem to have become cheap, venal, vulgar and petty while we apparently don't have the ability to reason our way out of the dilemma of taking care of the sick, watching out for the elderly, and teaching our children not to be credulous, callow dupes.

To my friends from the UK, France and anyone to whom they choose to forward this, I feel that I owe you an apology. It is as if I have brought an orangutan to high tea... While he flings shit at you and tries to snatch pastries from your plate, I am left wondering how I might make it up to you.

The world's richest and most powerful nation seems to have lost its moral compass. We have lost interest in leading by example in favor of taking by force. I would like to say that I believe that one day in the future America might regain its senses. Unfortunately, I am not terribly optimistic. The best I can offer you is to remind you that Nixon also won a second term.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Nov. 5, 2004, 03:16:19 PM EST
Expand Edited by deSitter Nov. 5, 2004, 03:16:37 PM EST
New Note - I mainly disagree with the above
..although it is right about the symptoms.

The cause is fear - we're a nation of pussies.
-drl
New Sorta reiterates what I said (only better)
Maybe this time the voters chose what they actually want: Nationalism, pre-emptive war, order not justice, "safety" through torture, backlash against women and gays, a gulf between haves and have-nots, government largesse for their churches and a my-way-or-the-highway President.
Where, I wonder, does that leave us?

If I may paraphrase: Amerika wants fascism, period. But not even the "good" kind of fascism; you know, the one that at least makes the trains run on time. No, they want the brain-numbing, bone-crushing kind that Orwell could only dream about in his wildest nightmares.

And to answer the rhetorical question, "Where does it leave us?" One of two answers: Either on the next plane out of the country, or in line at a gun shop.

[edit: ubiquitous, inevitable typos. God, I wish I had a set of hands....]
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

Expand Edited by jb4 Nov. 5, 2004, 03:58:02 PM EST
New I disagree with part of that
I admired Howard Dean, but face it, the Republican attack machine would have shredded him in a week.
Shredded him how? Remember the couple of years they spent trying to "shred" Clinton? This was a man who had a well-known habit of riding interns' faces while discussing issues of national security on the phone.

It's time to forget the conventional wisdom that pundits succeed by generating stong reactions pro or con, while politicians succees by not offending anyone. Give us someone to either love or hate for gawd's sake, and we'll tell you if he's the right one. Hell, give us two or three of them we can love and hate for different reasons, and we'll pick one in the primary.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
     Let me know who won - (deSitter) - (13)
         I never had any hope - (FuManChu) - (2)
             Re: I never had any hope - (deSitter) - (1)
                 True. Just that my reading of history denies any hope. -NT - (FuManChu)
         Dunno about you, but I learned something. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
             Dam son we all knew that but love ya anyway - (daemon) - (3)
                 Amen, bro! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 If that ain't true... I dunnah belong heyah! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                     "I would never join a club that would accept me as member" -NT - (Arkadiy)
             Katha Pollit says it pretty well. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                 Re: Katha Pollit says it pretty well. - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Note - I mainly disagree with the above - (deSitter)
                 Sorta reiterates what I said (only better) - (jb4)
                 I disagree with part of that - (drewk)