Specific modules you DON'T want loaded.

And no, I wasn't blowing my stack.

I was using your own tactics against you.

There is a difference.

I would NEVER disable all hotplugging. Why would I do that when I could just Uninstall it.

You see, Debian isn't all about taking the easy road, but building your own road the best way possible, freely.

I know how SuSE works, remember I have a discount on SuSE stuff (which now has turned into a discount on all Novell stuff). I like SuSE, I (used to) like RedHat, I like Debian, I like Slackware (which I have a lifetime subscription for priority release and reduced pricing).

I use the best tools that are available, hotplug in debian has been extended to recognize "conf.d" style directories. Better yet, All of Debian is taking that approach. To minize the conflagarations of botching conf files. This way, If I were to install a module for Apache and it needs configurations, /etc/apache/conf.d/ is where it's "file" would go for configs. This is the way Hotplug deals with dev.d (as well as udev) and blacklist.d.

SuSE doesn't have the modularity thing down. They don't need it yet. They don't support 13 platforms. (well not quite yet) Debian needs the flexibility to do specific configs for different architectures and there they have expanded this stuff to enable ease of maintenance.

Best thing for you to do, pull down a current version of the sarge_di network install. From [link|http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sarge_d-i/i386/current/sarge-i386-netinst.iso|here] and go install it. Use it, ask question that can be painfully simple to use. GrokDebian for what it strives to do, GrokDebian for what it tries to do, GrokDebian for what it can do, GrokDebian for the tremndous works from Volunteers.

Volunteers, yes that is right Debian is not "funded" by commercial greed or support hungry companies. Volunteers give time to help answer questions. Volunteers maintain something like 100 bahmillion lines of code for the 16000+ packages in the Debian Archive. Debian gives back to upstream heavily, infact there is not other Distribution that has a better bug tracking, reporting, fixing and porting record. Debian does this automatically if you want. Manually by default.

I could wax on indefinitely. But you hopefully get the point.