IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Had an interview in Irving yesterday
4 1/2 hours there, 1 1/2 hours filling out application and interview, 4 1/2 hours back. 15 minutes ago the recruiter called, saying that "they're going with another candidate".

Sheesh. In the old days you'd at least have the weekend filled with false hope and get shot down on Monday.

Still batting "0 for Houston". The IT market here is just total suck unless you've got SAP or Peoplesoft experience.

lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Sorry to hear that
I know it's hard, but hang in there and keep trying.

Nightowl >8#

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
New Well, that sucks chuncks!
Alex

"If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words." -- Philip K. Dick, US science fiction writer
New Most markets seem that way
I cringe everytime I hear some talking head say the economy is rolling.

Swirling downwards would be more apt.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
New *nod*

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New I believe the expression is "circling"
as in "circling the bowl."
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Things seem to be going well in the Perl world
Friends in the Perl community have told me that jobs are getting far easier to find. I know of companies that have had enough trouble finding Perl people that they have dropped expectations - they'll hire junior people and train rather than expecting to find senior people.

It isn't a boom, but were I making the move that I did a year ago, I would be willing to consider a lot more cities.

I understand that the market varies widely by skillset though.

Cheers,
Ben
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
New Perl passes C
At least according to the [link|http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/09/24/39FErrdev_1.html?s=feature|IWE Survey]. :-)
New Hold the phone - somebody is willing to TRAIN???
Damn, I gotta get me into that kind of employer right quick.

Got any leads?
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
New Not in your area, sorry
I can think of 2 companies in the LA area that have gone from looking for a senior person to someone with a year of Perl or so. (The ad says a year, the reality...)

I think that they'd accept as experience doing a lot of little tasks in Perl while your official job said something else. Given how many people use Perl in that way, I don't see why anyone would want to hire someone intending to teach them Perl from scratch.

Also I wouldn't expect to find opportunities like this outside of a small number of markets. The market in LA being particularly good - that's why I chose to move here last year.

Cheers,
Ben
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
New You were in my neck of the woods!
I work in Carrollton, TX and live in Frisco. Did the company have anything to do with Sterling?

Or maybe oil? But most of those are in Houston now. Almost all of them have left Dallas.

Our company has been talking about new Tandem stuff, but not in TX, rather in San Francisco. And it's not REALLY Tandem stuff, but how to get Tandem to do Web Services (which is really twisted IMHO). Especially when they could be doing MQSeries already.

Glen
New Company helps other companies
handle their "customer appreciation" programs. Maening, that they write the code, set up the database, create the web site, and handle the mailings and telemarketings for their clients such as Hilton and their Hilton Honors program.

Position would have been nice, but they went with a local candidate.

Tandem is moving to web services since too many doofuses in management have no idea on how to use a Tandem properly, and their sales are going downhill (mature machine in a mature market), so now you can do Java and ODBC to your Tandem as the server of choice. MQSeries has talked to Tandem since the early 1990s, and does it pretty well, I might add.
lincoln
     Had an interview in Irving yesterday - (lincoln) - (11)
         Sorry to hear that - (Nightowl)
         Well, that sucks chuncks! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Most markets seem that way - (tuberculosis) - (6)
             *nod* -NT - (imric)
             I believe the expression is "circling" - (jake123)
             Things seem to be going well in the Perl world - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 Perl passes C - (ChrisR)
                 Hold the phone - somebody is willing to TRAIN??? - (lincoln) - (1)
                     Not in your area, sorry - (ben_tilly)
         You were in my neck of the woods! - (gdaustin) - (1)
             Company helps other companies - (lincoln)

Out of respect for Apple's good name, this LRPDism has been censored.
56 ms