IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As I understand it...
...the bulk of those loans came from Russia and France, not fellow ME countries. (Could be wrong about that though).

Now why would the U.S. want to mess with these two countries?
New Check the link again.
The money claimed by the Gulf Arab states is a substantial part of the estimated $120 billion Iraq owes other states and eliminating it would significantly ease the country's burden.

More on this is at [link|http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=A949292E-0F2B-4E0B-ABD0B4C5892ACA01&title=World%20Bank%20Chief%20Says%20War%20on%20Terrorism%20Drains%20Funds%20from%20Needy|VOA News]:

In an interview with London's Financial Times newspaper, World Bank President James Wolfensohn warned that global policymakers have been distracted from some of the world's most pressing development issues because of terrorism and security concerns.

He spoke with the newspaper in Washington, where the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund are preparing the agenda for their annual meeting next month.

One of the key topics will be debt relief for Iraq, which owes about $120 billion on Saddam Hussein-era loans. The United States favors a 90 percent reduction, but France and other creditors argue that would be too generous.

You're right, the French do seem to be involved. Hmmm. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Saddam owed a lot of people money
Saddam took out loans from anybody that would offer him one during the Iraq / Iran war, and he got a lot since he was a ally of the west at the time.

I'm pretty sure that France and Russia are Iraq's major debt holder in total amount. But the smaller loans he got from other Middle East countries probably represent a lot more cash as a percent of the economy to those countries.

Notice that the US is holding talks in Paris with some but not all of Iraq's loan holders, where the US is trying to talk them into writing off 95% of the debt. But the middle eastern loans the US is trying to negate via declaration.

Jay
New Council on Foreign Relations numbers.
[link|http://www.cfr.org/background/background_iraq_funding.php|Here]:

What is the status of debts owed by Saddam\ufffds regime?
This issue has divided the United States and its European allies. The debt run up by the Saddam regime is estimated to be between $120 billion and $135 billion, according to Joseph Siegle, Douglas Dillon Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. Iraq also owes some $200 billion in reparations to Kuwait and other countries from the Gulf War. The United States is pushing to classify Iraq\ufffds obligations as \ufffdodious debt.\ufffd Alexander Sack, a pre-eminent international legal scholar, defined the term in 1927 as debt incurred by a despotic power not for the needs or interests of the state, but to strengthen the regime and repress the population under its rule. Some debt experts argue that, because the people had no choice and received no benefit from the despot\ufffds actions, they should not be held accountable for the debt. Others add that institutions or companies that lend to despots and their regimes should consider the risk they are taking. However, there is no formalized international legal framework to define odious debts or to determine which debts of which countries could be thus classified. France, Germany, and Russia insist they won\ufffdt forgive debts Iraq owes to them. Hans Eichel, the German finance minister, told reporters on October 18, \ufffdWe do not only expect to get our money back; we will get our money back.\ufffd

Which countries are owed the most money by Iraq?
Iraq\ufffds Gulf state neighbors are owed the most, at $30 billion. Japan is next at $9 billion, Russia at $8 billion, France at $8 billion, and Germany at $4 billion.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Didn't realize he borrowed from Japan
I didn't know he had borrowed money from Japan also, let along borrowed that much. I wonder what he spent that money on? The money from Russia was mostly loans so Saddam could buy Russian military gear, while the French loans are mostly related to oil field development.

The idea that a dictator that borrows money and stashes it in his Swiss bank account shouldn't burden his country for his crime is a good idea. But AFAIK most of Saddam's loans don't qualify. It was money borrowed to build up the military and the countries infrastructure.

Yes he wasted millions on his palaces and other corrupt endevors, but even if all of that came from loans it would be a small percentage of the 120 billion dollars he ows.

The 200 billion in war reparations are a different issue, since I doubt anybody ever expected to collect on most of that money. Countries should be much more willing to write that debt off once Iraq has a new government.

Jay
     Argument ad Non-Sequitur - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
         As I understand it... - (ChrisR) - (4)
             Check the link again. - (Another Scott)
             Saddam owed a lot of people money - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                 Council on Foreign Relations numbers. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Didn't realize he borrowed from Japan - (JayMehaffey)
         Hmmmmm ironies upon ironies.... - (GBert) - (1)
             Shhhhh.. subversive non-Oceanian. -NT - (Ashton)

But at least you can make it swallow the code.
75 ms