IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Put it this way...
There are three times when I say I am sorry.

1. There was something I didn't know/couldn't predict etc which caused things to work out as I did not intend. In which case I will say what that thing was. I am sorry about bumping into you, I didn't know you were right behind me!
  2. I regret what happened and have something specific I will work on to avoid that happening in the future. In which case I say what I have to work on. I am sorry, while I am involved in things, I am not very attentive. But just tell me when you want my attention, and I will make a point of focussing on you so I respond to whatever you have to say.
  3. I sympathize with someone for some grief they have or are going through. In which case I allude to the grief. I am so sorry for what your daughter is going through. I wish there was something I could do...

Only in the third case do I consider my expression of my feelings to be important. In the first one the explanation is what counts. In the second it is the specific resolution to keep it from happening again (or at least to have it happen less often).

In other words it is not my sincerity or desire that matters. Instead it is the demonstration of willingness to learn.

As for the specific example, the only thing I can say is that the most important thing for married people to work out IMHO is how to resolve conflicts. Because it is a certainty that you will have conflicts, and no other kind of conflict hurts so much.

But I will admit to this. My wife and I had certain fights that came up over and over again for years. What they were doesn't matter. That they hurt, does. That they happened time and again also does.

Then we managed to stop having those fights. Completely. It took me a while to believe that they were really stopped. But they were.

Without going into details, the very fights that were the cause of the most grief became by their resolution proof to both of us that when it counts, we really can change. So I believe that it is possible to get beyond an issue.

Cheers,
Ben

PS My actual phrasing for point 2 is similar to something my wife and I have worked out. If she is willing to specifically ask for my attention up front, I will make a point of giving it. An agreement like that may help with the issue that you described.
Collapse Edited by ben_tilly Nov. 9, 2001, 05:11:48 PM EST
Put it this way...
There are three times when I say I am sorry.
  1. There was something I didn't know/couldn't predict etc which caused things to work out as I did not intend. In which case I will say what that thing was. I am sorry about bumping into you, I didn't know you were right behind me!
  2. I regret what happened and have something specific I will work on to avoid that happening in the future. In which case I say what I have to work on. I am sorry, while I am involved in things, I am not very attentive. But just tell me when you want my attention, and I will make a point of focussing on you so I respond to your attention.
  3. I sympathize with someone for some grief they have or are going through. In which case I allude to the grief. I am so sorry for what your daughter is going through. I wish there was something I could do...
Only in the third case do I consider my expression of my feelings to be important. In the first one the explanation is what counts. In the second it is the specific resolution to keep it from happening again (or at least to have it happen less often). In other words it is not my sincerity or desire that matters. Instead it is the demonstration of willingness to learn. As for the specific example, the only thing I can say is that the most important thing for married people to work out IMHO is how to resolve conflicts. Because it is a certainty that you will have conflicts, and no other kind of conflict hurts so much. But I will admit to this. My wife and I had certain fights that came up over and over again for years. What they were doesn't matter. That they hurt, does. That they happened time and again also does. Then we managed to stop having those fights. Completely. It took me a while to believe that they were really stopped. But they were. Without going into details, the very fights that were the cause of the most grief became by their resolution proof to both of us that when it counts, we really can change. So I believe that it is possible to get beyond an issue. Cheers, Ben PS My actual phrasing for point 2 is similar to something my wife and I have worked out. If she is willing to specifically ask for my attention up front, I will make a point of giving it. An agreement like that may help with the issue that you described.
New Thanks. :-)
New Thanks for some lucid prose.
It would seem that, while you 'keep accounts' (see no point in imagining you could.. forget, anyway?) there is an unusual aspect to your remembering. That is - you don't periodically 'stick pins in the effigy' (!) If that is too obtuse, I could expand.

I do not doubt that you indeed 'work' as described - only I would wonder if, 'forgiveness' may not be so alien to you as you assert: it is / appears to be the periodic internal "dredging up and reexperiencing of a slight" - which is what many mean by - 'not forgiving'. Instead, you also notice periodically: if improvement has occurred.

But all human relationship is based on the sum of all exchanges, some recalled more strongly than others. I see here a weighting which occurs - as naturally as the integral of the curve.. with inflection points noted :-\ufffd (Nahh - math will never apply re humans)

Not trying to be cute here - but your view is more akin to ~ "a wiser 'forgiveness'" than not, as I perceive your words.

Ashton
     Thoughts on forgiveness? - (Another Scott) - (45)
         Forgiveness vs restitution - (Brandioch)
         Forgiveness is wonderful; just get even first :) -NT - (hnick)
         Not a false distinction, but is it a worthwhile one? ;) - (tseliot) - (10)
             Yes, I wasn't thinking of legal issues. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                 Not a question of punishment, but of power imbalance - (tseliot) - (8)
                     Interesting historical context. Thanks. - (Another Scott)
                     Heh.. agonistic as in - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Honor - (tseliot) - (1)
                             Ah.. said well enough that - (Ashton)
                     Re: Sincerity & Forgiveness - (brettj) - (3)
                         Value to me? or to our imaginary 1st-century folk? - (tseliot) - (2)
                             Fascinating - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Great! I don't mind disagreement... - (tseliot)
         Forgiveness is divine. - (brettj)
         A possible distinction. - (Ashton) - (1)
             reminds me an irish elephant - (boxley)
         The best example of how I think about forgiveness - (boxley) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         I don't hold with forgiveness - (ben_tilly) - (20)
             Clartification... - (ChrisR) - (14)
                 All of the above - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                     Cheese! whats yer thoughts on TP up or down? :) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         You really want to know? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             Well small chirrun have the same effect - (boxley)
                     Not assigning fault and the relation to forgiveness. - (brettj) - (9)
                         I think you missed my point - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                             Re: I think you missed my point - (brettj) - (7)
                                 Um, not quite - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                     Life is sorta like an onion - (brettj) - (5)
                                         I am mixed on the Asimov quote - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                             Karma? - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 Which type of karma? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     Between the two, the latter. - (Ashton)
                                             Just being aware of the question is worthwhile. - (brettj)
             Thanks. And a little story. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 To a woman yes - (boxley)
                 Put it this way... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Thanks. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Thanks for some lucid prose. - (Ashton)
         Compassionate feelings that support a willingness to forgive - (brettj) - (4)
             Another incentive for developing that - (Ashton)
             Yes, that occurred to me, too. - (static) - (2)
                 Maybe that's the real question? Who needs forgiveness more? - (brettj) - (1)
                     I think that is situational. - (static)
         My thoughts - (orion)

If it nae be Scottish, it be CRRRRRRAP!
120 ms