IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Went to CompUSA, bought 19" monitor, $230.00
I was going to settle for a 17", but those were $190. Forking over another $40 seemed reasonable.

Of course, I would rather have not had to spend the money at all, but I really do need a computer with a big screen to do Help Desk and Kernel Panic comfortably...
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New You will enjoy the real estate..
...I know I do. GOt a 19'' when they went sub-400...lucky timing really...because the 17 inch I was using blew up.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I guess I'll have to break down the cement wall...
behind which I keep my wallet. A sensitive beast that cries and often bleeds when asked to fork over some cash. I'm using a 13 inch Compaq monitor (that I got from work, they were going to throw it out) if that gives you any idea on how often I upgrade. :-)

If I pinched those pennies any harder I'd be arrested for cruelty to coins.
Don Richards,
recipient of the ABBA.
New Oh dear...
I'd need better glasses.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Ah, *that's* why I had to get the new prescription!
A new monitor would have been cheaper. [slaps forehead]
How to mangle the truth;

Have it reported by any major U.S. media outlet.
New Been spoiled by an 15 inch LCD
Doubt that I will go back to standard CRT technology at this point.

This 15-inch LCD gives me the same viewable area as my 3+ year old 17-inch Dell monitor, while taking up about 75% less room. Not to mention the fact that it draws a hell of a lot less power and operates at a much cooler temperature.

Now, if they would only get the 17-inch LCDs down below $500......
New Well, I just bought a 17" LCD for $500
although it was from Dell: Planar 17.4", 1280x1024, black, speakers, analog interface, list price $600 - 20% off and free shipping + tax = just over $500.

I'm extremely happy with it; it's better quality than the $600 17" LCD's at Fry's. It's bright, crisp, very readable at 1280x1024, scales pretty well to other resolutions, and is MUCH, MUCH nicer than my four year old IBM 17" CRT.

I'm recommending at work that we use the touchscreen version ($1200 - $1300) for our machines -- it's cheaper than the last 15" LCD touchscreen we bought and a lot nicer.

Tony
New But, but, it's a Dell!!! Forgot the boycott? :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New To quote from the movie "Highlander":
"In the end, there can be only one".

With the way the PC market is going, it looks like Dell will be the only major assembler left standing when it comes to purchasing personal machines. Since America is an "economic democracy" (as compared to a republic form of government), consumers vote with their dollars, and Dell just keeps raking in the cash. Like Wal-Mart, they sell for less than the competition, which keeps customers coming back for repeat sales.

Personally, the best customer support I ever got came from Gateway back in 1996. When I used Dell's support 2 years ago, I had to threaten the dcrone with the fact that I was an employee and could track him down to get him to perform his duties better.
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New The Quickening starts already.
Is Compaq going to take over HP?

What about IBM? That sleeping giant?

Gateway seems to do fine.

Will someone buy out the eMachines company already? :) It is Packard Bell reincarnated. :)

It will most likely be a battle between IBM and Dell in the long run. Then IBM buys out Dell. ;)

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Gateway is not that healthy.
They've pulled out of Australia, for instance.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Well, Dell won't be raking in the cash if Intel can't make
the chips...referring to Intel's big problems with delivering 2 GHz P4's. That's the problem with Dell's "Intel's premier distributor" approach -- if Intel screws up, Dell is screwed -- or will have to move quickly.

I'm not sure how much Dell matters anyway. I'd bet that "white box" has a higher market share than Dell. And, in general, I think we're moving away from PC's to networked, embedded computing devices. That's the way I'm thinking, and even the conservative world of factory automation is moving towards networked stuff -- we're just doing a job using an Ethernet-based Galil motion controller, instead of a plug-in PC board.

Tony
     Help! My monitor is screwed up - (cwbrenn) - (28)
         Try a different mode if you can. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Alack - (cwbrenn) - (4)
                 Tis a good time to buy. Monitors are pretty cheap! :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     No kidding - (Silverlock) - (2)
                         Migawd! pretty sure it's same mfg. as my Korean - (Ashton) - (1)
                             I think that Buy.com has free shipping. - (Silverlock)
         Before shopping: - (Ashton) - (1)
             Alas, no - (cwbrenn)
         sounds like the gun is shot - (boxley) - (1)
             Nah. Monitors are too cheap, nowadays. - (a6l6e6x)
         Whatever you don't do... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             Interesting cooincidence - (drewk)
             Wasn't there another MAG brand a few years ago? - (wharris2) - (1)
                 My Gateway 17" monitor is MAG something or other. - (static)
         Went to CompUSA, bought 19" monitor, $230.00 - (cwbrenn) - (11)
             You will enjoy the real estate.. - (bepatient) - (3)
                 I guess I'll have to break down the cement wall... - (Silverlock) - (2)
                     Oh dear... - (bepatient) - (1)
                         Ah, *that's* why I had to get the new prescription! - (Silverlock)
             Been spoiled by an 15 inch LCD - (n3jja) - (6)
                 Well, I just bought a 17" LCD for $500 - (tonytib) - (5)
                     But, but, it's a Dell!!! Forgot the boycott? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                         To quote from the movie "Highlander": - (bconnors) - (3)
                             The Quickening starts already. - (orion) - (1)
                                 Gateway is not that healthy. - (static)
                             Well, Dell won't be raking in the cash if Intel can't make - (tonytib)
         If you cannot afford much, buy used. - (orion)
         Agh, you fool! - (wharris2)

An experiment in Boredom Control run by the Illuminati.
158 ms